Any Spectrasonics news?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Omnisphere 1

Man, this thread was a tough read. LOTS of whining to slog through. ;)

Does anyone mind if I share my thoughts since I actually played with Omnisphere 2 myself?

First, let me say how astonished I was at how stable the current build was that I was using at NAMM. We still have 4 months to go before release and I can't usually use the word "stable" when talking about other software this far out from release that I've played with.

Second, I was using a 2 year old iMac without any trouble. CPU didn't even blink.

Third, those DSP waveforms are a HUGE addition. This is probably my favorite upgrade. The morphing capabilities change so many characteristics of each waveform that it's going to be near impossible to run out of ideas and sonic possibilities. It really becomes more like 400 x 1 bazillion (if it could be a number)... and they sound frikken amazing! Especially when you add the new Unison with Detune Drift? Super fat!

Forth, the 25 new effects are of very good quality. I particularly liked the new distortions, envelope filter, EQ's, Innerspace reverb, and the Precision Compressor. Again, multiplying the sonic possibilities.

Fifth, this a big upgrade with not just 3,000 new patches but new sampled source material as well. Speaking of which, what company goes through great risks to record stalactites in a radioactive cave so WE can enjoy these rare sounds in our own recordings?

Sixth
, major UI improvements that allowed me to zoom around with much greater ease and accuracy so I can get to making music and spend less time trying to find stuff!

I could go on, but these are my first impressions and I don't want to post a novel! Omnisphere 2 is practically a new product IMHO after having played with it myself. I can say without hesitation that the upgrade price is well worth the price of admission!

midihead wrote:Man, this thread was a tough read. LOTS of whining to slog through. ;)

Does anyone mind if I share my thoughts since I actually played with Omnisphere 2 myself?

First, let me say how astonished I was at how stable the current build was that I was using at NAMM. We still have 4 months to go before release and I can't usually use the word "stable" when talking about other software this far out from release that I've played with.

Second, I was using a 2 year old iMac without any trouble. CPU didn't even blink.

Third, those DSP waveforms are a HUGE addition. This is probably my favorite upgrade. The morphing capabilities change so many characteristics of each waveform that it's going to be near impossible to run out of ideas and sonic possibilities. It really becomes more like 400 x 1 bazillion (if it could be a number)... and they sound frikken amazing! Especially when you add the new Unison with Detune Drift? Super fat!

Forth, the 25 new effects are of very good quality. I particularly liked the new distortions, envelope filter, EQ's, Innerspace reverb, and the Precision Compressor. Again, multiplying the sonic possibilities.

Fifth, this a big upgrade with not just 3,000 new patches but new sampled source material as well. Speaking of which, what company goes through great risks to record stalactites in a radioactive cave so WE can enjoy these rare sounds in our own recordings?

Sixth
, major UI improvements that allowed me to zoom around with much greater ease and accuracy so I can get to making music and spend less time trying to find stuff!

I could go on, but these are my first impressions and I don't want to post a novel! Omnisphere 2 is practically a new product IMHO after having played with it myself. I can say without hesitation that the upgrade price is well worth the price of admission!
thanks a lot, can you say something about the granular synthesis more? it sadly lacks in omnisphere but it seems to be "a bit" better in omnisphere 2, we need a visual waveform and start/end points ;D, + sample import!

i cannot wait to upgrade!
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

liquid light wrote:
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
now, again....why am i, an almost 8-year loyal customer, being asked to pay $249 when those exact same features are being given away to new customers with only a slight price hike ?? or free
Good point. I think Spectrasonics dropped the ball on that one. Customer loyalty has taken a hit here for older customers. Though new customers will be very happy. As someone mentioned in another post.... they should have had a "buy DLL" option for the loyal customers. Omni 1 will be enough for me for now.... might buy the new U-He Hive synth for the temporary intro price of $99 in the meantime....the CPU will thank me. :) To Spectrasonics...... Not gonna pay $249 on top of my $500+ I already paid a couple of years back when newbie customers are getting the better deal as of now...sorry.
It is actually simple:
New users have to pay FULL 499USD in order to jump on Omnisphere one way or another. Their main advantage is in this case, that they don't have to wait for v2, but can start right away (see it as "extended demo") and then get v2 as free upgrade. But, they have to pay full 499USD to actually jump on that train. (not counting street prices!). Also - I don't know if Omnisphere v1 users, that buy it boxed, get a "free boxed" v2.

The "old users" merely have to pay 249USD to cover the most basic upgrade fees: new engine, a sh*tload of new samples, maintenance. So you are actually getting off cheaper on the long run.
a) you had access to Omnisphere for way longer
b) you got great updates for free
c) Spectrasonics is actually making less bucks from the upgrading people, compared to the "new users".
d) you can buy a "boxed version" rather than only getting access to a hefty DLC

Yes - the upgrade is steep (depening on the viewpoint).

But I can only repeat myself: see it as a "hardware synth upgrade" rather than a piece of software. And trust me (or not, up to you!), the way Omnisphere is looking and working now won't be the end of the line. If Spectrasonics keeps on doing the "free updates" like they did for the last decade ("The Orb" for iOS for example -wasn't that app freeware? Other companies usually don't do that!) - the 250USD are definitely worth it.

Now imagine Spectrasonics announcing RMX v2 (which I hope will be the case around Musikmesse 2015 - which happens to be April as well!) - with the old SAGE backs bundled (which was the case for "late RMX v1 adopters" - which I'm not, so paying extra is still a thing!), drastically up's the engine (let's say RMX is also getting native WAV loop loading/slicing), adds about 2-4GB of extra content on top of it. And then they ask 249USD as upgrade.

Ask yourself - fair, or a ripoff?

I say fair - because:
a) I had RMX for years
b) even so, I still didn't unlock every in-and-out of this VSTi
c) I get new content and a complete new engine
d) the "free updates" up until this point were more than worth my money
e) it's like refurbishing a 10+ year old hardware synth that you can't live without - worth every penny

Now - if we'd talk about a host that costs me 200quids per year to upgrade, otherwise I'll lose out on support and bugfixes, this is a complete different topic.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

When is Omni 2 out anyway?

aMUSEd wrote:When is Omni 2 out anyway?
april 30th sadly
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

I hope other developers will follow this model of 3 month pre-release video introduction of the new features of the new upcoming version. Then allow all new purchases of the older version a free upgrade path to the new version.

This for me and am sure other musicians is good as we can make my plans accordingly.

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
now, again....why am i, an almost 8-year loyal customer, being asked to pay $249 when those exact same features are being given away to new customers with only a slight price hike ?? or free
That's life.

Cars, phones, computers... everything gets updated by a newer, shinier, cheaper model at some point.

If you are an early adopter, you have to expect and accept that you are paying a premium for technology that will eventually filter down to everyone else at a more affordable price.

:shrug:
My main tools: Kontakt, Omnisphere, Samplemodeling + Audio Modeling. Akai VIP = godsend. Tari's libraries also rock.

midihead wrote:Man, this thread was a tough read. LOTS of whining to slog through. ;)

Sixth

I'm sorry you had to slog through all of this, but thanks.

Then, may be we need a thread called ....

Wish list of Omni 2.1

1) Randomize button
2) Import REX .... ( do we already have this ? )

Thanks for the report Midihead - first user report I've seen, and sounding as good as I'd hoped.

cowby wrote:Then, may be we need a thread called ....

Wish list of Omni 2.1

1) Randomize button
2) Import REX .... ( do we already have this ? )
Eh?!

You can already randomize with the Orb, and why sliced loops in Omni? That's what Stylus is for.

Incidentally, looks like Spectra means 3,000 new patches not a combined figure with soundsources - Eric tweeted yesterday that they're beginning the cull on soundsources from 128gb down to a manageable size. Phew.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

Caine123 wrote:
april 30th sadly
Sadly?!

Some of you people let it sound like as if you couldn't get anything done with v1 (or old versions of synths and hosts) up until this point. Especially if you were already on it weeks before(!) the Winter NAMM 2015 announcement.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Compyfox wrote:
Caine123 wrote:
april 30th sadly
Sadly?!

Some of you people let it sound like as if you couldn't get anything done with v1 (or old versions of synths and hosts) up until this point. Especially if you were already on it weeks before(!) the Winter NAMM 2015 announcement.
yeah because i cannot wait, is that bad? man you suck everything so negatively...... :roll:

ANTICIPATION! google it.

noiseboyuk wrote: cull on soundsources from 128gb down to a manageable size. Phew.
:(

I know. I KNOW. Every good artist must know how to "kill one's darlings" in editing... but... but... ah nevermind.

Ha ha I'll be happy with it regardless, most likely. Have never had a moment when I thought, "gosh this sucks" with a Spectrasonics product.

Caine123 wrote:
Compyfox wrote:
Caine123 wrote:
april 30th sadly
Sadly?!

yeah because i cannot wait, is that bad?
Not if you can get stuff done either way.

Which you obviously can't if one takes note of your "other" threads where you constantly ask for "new tools" - even if you're pretty much stuffed until infinity.

Caine123 wrote:man you suck everything so negatively...... :roll:

ANTICIPATION! google it.
"suck everything into negativity"... RIGHT!

Which is why I actually defend Spectrasonics on the nonsense price debate and I am still cool with waiting for RMX updates as RMX user myself.

But whatever floats your boat.

Compyfox wrote:
Caine123 wrote:
Compyfox wrote:
Caine123 wrote:
april 30th sadly
Sadly?!

yeah because i cannot wait, is that bad?
Not if you can get stuff done either way.

Which you obviously can't if one takes note of your "other" threads where you constantly ask for "new tools" - even if you're pretty much stuffed until infinity.

Caine123 wrote:man you suck everything so negatively...... :roll:

ANTICIPATION! google it.
"suck everything into negativity"... RIGHT!

Which is why I actually defend Spectrasonics on the nonsense price debate and I am still cool with waiting for RMX updates as RMX user myself.

But whatever floats your boat.
butthurt? ;D
i achieved some musicproductions with different projects already (i cannot live from them but enjoy the music producing) but wont publish those here to battle with di*klengths or egopushing like some seem to need it? and im glad with the music i do, also won 2 OSCs which made me very proud as musicians each other show a lot of respect and i could learn a lot from everyone, will get back to osc again but never had/have the target to win...... i dont need to praise myself with it here but wanted to let you know that i enjoy it instead of snaking around reading my posts and bashing like a snake against me ;)....

no wonder why i blocked your posts as you are always trying to express how RIGHT you are and have so much knowledge! yes you are awesome, sorry that i doubted it, i just wanted to read what you were posting about omnisphere 2, i will continue ignoring your posts here as you are too good for me and im just a mere idiot who asks for new tools with too much money i guess :)! rock on! :tu:

Return to “Instruments”