Logic X and MIDI Effects When Using Multitimbral Instruments

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

OK, I don't have access to Logic X to find out so... I know that you can now have a 'MIDI' channel strip where you plug in MFX like the Arpeggiator etc. When you're using a multi-channel instrument like HALion, do you get a MIDI channel strip PER CHANNEL/Track, or just one for the overall instrument? Because the latter would really disappoint me. Many thanks for any info...

yes, you can have a channel strip per instrument/channel/track and and also have an aux track for each instrument for automation/level/sends etc.

Most excellent, thank you EdHart!

EdHart wrote:yes, you can have a channel strip per instrument/channel/track and and also have an aux track for each instrument for automation/level/sends etc.
Can you post the steps how to do this for HALion, Omnisphere, Kontakt 5 or an instrument like these.
I'm curious how you did this for going out to an individual MIDI channel.

ValliSoftware wrote:
EdHart wrote:yes, you can have a channel strip per instrument/channel/track and and also have an aux track for each instrument for automation/level/sends etc.
Can you post the steps how to do this for HALion, Omnisphere, Kontakt 5 or an instrument like these.
I'm curious how you did this for going out to an individual MIDI channel.
In Logic:
Take an instrument channel /set midi channel on 1 (instead of all) /insert Kontakt 5 instrument with multi output (so not the stereo, I took the 16 stereo) / be patient to load / make a few new channels with the key command "new track with next ch. - midi ch." or in the menu, track, other / the new tracks are already set on the next midi ch. (You also can do this by making new tracks =on the + sign= and selecting multi-timbral in the checkbox) / open the mixer view / on the Kontakt ch. you see thee signs "- +" just under the fader / push "+" for a few Aux channels / check the input routing / make some sends, if you want.
in Kontakt:
Load a Kontakt instrument (midi ch. 1, output 1+2) / load more instruments, set the output channels on 3+4, 5+6, 7+8, etc. / record on every track a few notes to check every instrument has its own level on the aux tracks.
In Logic Mixer:
Engage Automation Read on the aux ch. strip / now you see extra aux channels in the Main Window /engage show track automation / in the aux ch. now you are able to insert automation lines.
This setup (and much more) I saved in an Autoload Song, so I only have to do it once.

But EdHart, my question was regarding MIDI FX. These 'sub-tracks' do not offer the ability to insert MIDI FX. So Logic X's capacity to insert MFX has very little value when using a 16-channel Instrument.

Protocol_b wrote:OK, I don't have access to Logic X to find out so... I know that you can now have a 'MIDI' channel strip where you plug in MFX like the Arpeggiator etc. When you're using a multi-channel instrument like HALion, do you get a MIDI channel strip PER CHANNEL/Track, or just one for the overall instrument? Because the latter would really disappoint me. Many thanks for any info...
Hi you do get a midi "strip" for each channel but I have found when using the MFX say on channel 2 it will trigger all channels, there may be some clever way of routing in the environment but thats beyond me.

http://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=1

If there is a way to do it these guys will know :)
Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

Protocol_b wrote:But EdHart, my question was regarding MIDI FX. These 'sub-tracks' do not offer the ability to insert MIDI FX.
That's what I thought you were asking, that's why I asked for the steps from EdHart.
Protocol_b wrote:So Logic X's capacity to insert MFX has very little value when using a 16-channel Instrument.
Not true regarding an external 16-channel instrument.
I can create 16 tracks and put MIDI FX plug-ins on each and specify a MIDI OUT on the External Instrument I loaded on each of those 16 tracks.
So I specify my MIDISPORT 2x2 Port B but wait... I loopback my Port B OUT to my Port B IN with a MIDI cable and if I select my Omnisphere, Kontakt 5, etc... in Logic, now it will receive what was going out from the 16 tracks (Inst2, Inst3 in my example)

I used IAC port for awhile but always had issues with it but using MIDI hardware, I've never had an issue.

I created 2 tracks and put a Arp and Randomize MIDI FX on both but notice that my instrument loaded on Inst2 and Inst3 is the Utility External Instrument.
Also note that Omnisphere is selected in Logic. You have to make sure to select the Omnisphere track so it can receive the output from the Inst2 and Inst3 tracks.
going out.png
Make sure to select the MIDI Destination that you created the loop back with, in my case it was MIDISPORT 2x2 Port B. Make sure to select the MIDI channel as well.
external.png
Oh, now the best part, you can MIDI record on the Omnisphere track so you can further edit it in Logic.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ValliSoftware, I totally comprehend that approach, I've had some experience with it. I had found in the past that using external hardware synths was very slick compared to the timing issues with the IAC loopback (which was really bad actually). But when I looped back in via my midi interface (just like you describe), I also encountered timing issues - but you say you aren't? Maybe it was because my old computer was so lame? I had written that approach off, but I'm going to resurrect it and try again (my new computer has substantially more power). Thank you for reminding me! P.S. YES, that 'recording the midi' aspect is valuable!

Woodsdenis, at first I thought I saw a midi strip per channel when in the Tracks window, but I think it was fooling me, I get the impression it's just the one main strip that keeps appearing no matter which track/channel I select for that multi-instrument. I found the same thing - the MFX affected all channels of the instrument.

Protocol_b wrote:Woodsdenis, at first I thought I saw a midi strip per channel when in the Tracks window, but I think it was fooling me, I get the impression it's just the one main strip that keeps appearing no matter which track/channel I select for that multi-instrument. I found the same thing - the MFX affected all channels of the instrument.
Yes it is a track per channel in the sense you can set up a Multi instrument and record midi on different tracks, but if you notice if you move the volume on one of the tracks all move, this is why you need to create aux tracks to automate volume etc. It's very clunky and probably tied into the old Logic engine, I am guessing MFX are controlled by this to thus their behaviour.
Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

Sorry, I didn't understand you wanted an arpeggiator on every midi channel.
In that case (if don't want to do it by External Instrument + IAC) I see a solution in dragging the chords directly from the arpeggiator in the tracks one by one.
Open the arpeggiator / pick a pattern / play a chord / the chord symbol lights up / drag the chord into the track.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”