Emphasis and de-emphasis EQ tutorial

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

A favourite Reaper trick of mine, which may also be of interest to non Reaper users:

http://youtu.be/H-Gs-o39C5o

Really excellent tutorial video (as usual)! Thank you for sharing.

Welcome!

Yes excellent,

Your work never fails to educate and impress...
Subscribed to your channel immediately...

Thx for that...

-Cheers

absolute killer tutorials. truly a pro, thanks.
:D

That's great Dan :)

I often use two utilities either side of a saturation /distortion plugin in Ableton in a rack. You simply map a macro to reduce the gain of one while boosting the other.

This works well for finding the sweet spot for any effect that depends on input level.

I hadn't thought to do it with multiple eq bands and shelves though so will definitely try this using Equilibrium :)

Whacking inflator or Satin between them could be damn cool!

Cheers

Scorb
I once thought I had mono for an entire year. It turned out I was just really bored...

:tu:

thomni wrote:absolute killer tutorials. truly a pro, thanks.
Sorry, but this comment almost made me spill my breakfast over my work desk.

As I already said it in the Tokyo Dawn Labs subboard:
Very interesting - I only wish Cubase would be as versatile in terms of linking parameters.

And as always, Dan is touching areas that not a lot of people are even thinking about. Thanks for bringing this to my/our attention.
Excellent tutorial as always, Dan.

I can see a use on individual channels, but I don't think for mastering as well. Unless you want to do some EQ emphasis before broadband compression. Though I'd like to be proven wrong.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Compyfox wrote:
thomni wrote:absolute killer tutorials. truly a pro, thanks.
Sorry, but this comment almost made me spill my breakfast over my work desk.
???

To me, this sounded like as if you're "new to the game", Dan.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Ok, not how I read it, but no worries!

Let's get back to the Q, if you use the Emphasis/De-emphasis also during mastering, or just during tracking/mixing?

If for mastering as well, for what applications mainly?

Well, did you ever saturate a full mix, and like what it did to certain elements but not others...? This technique will allow you to thicken up the guitars (for example) or the vocals while keeping the bass cleaner. Or vice versa.

You could argue that it's more useful on individual channels, and that's probably where I use the technique most often. But you could also argue that fine control over which frequencies are most saturated is more critical when saturating a complex signal like a full mix.

Anyway it's a very useful technique, made far more practical by parameter linking in reaper: totally up to you how you use it!

Yeah I am going to set up a bell and two shelves and overall gain for focusing saturation in mastering. Definitely a very useful techinque for mixing too though.

Cheers

Scorb
I once thought I had mono for an entire year. It turned out I was just really bored...

The reaper parameter linking is intriguing, gonna have to try that.

Return to “Production Techniques”