2CAudio Kaleidoscope | It's A Trip | Latest Update 1.1

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Annual Subscription for Kaleidoscope Kaleidoscope

Andrew- RE: Dune, the movie:
I was one of those who were very dissappointed with it. I knew what was going on, but I knew that most would not, and might find it boring. I do think the book was one of the most complex, well-thought-out, universe of it's own sci-fi books I've ever read. Realize that I read it in 1981.
In rotation here: Hammock- Stranded Under Endless Sky

rustman wrote:
2ca wrote:>i am not seeing any waveform library in the tuning menu period

waveforms are available when you select waveform tuning modes.

Regards,
Denis (2CAudio)
This is key info. It took me quite a while to solve this one myself. A friendly suggestion: it might be helpful to flesh out the waveforms as tunings section of the manual. That is where I looked for a clue first. 8)
ah yes
thank you
and thank you guys for making the most extreme and weird settings inside any plugin on earth
the waveform tunings are amazing and can be quite beautiful and transformative!

Ok, I figured out what the issue with Bitwig was 100%.

It isn't Bitwig, it was my Zoom H6 external sound card acting up. It has had other quirks in the past so its not terribly surprising!

Great recorder, not so great audio interface :)

As of now I would say Kaleidoscope works perfectly in Bitwig!
SW: Cubase 9.5 | Komplete 11 | Omnisphere 2 | Perfect Storm 2.5 | Soundtoys 5
HW: Steinberg UR28M | Focal Alpha 50 | Fender Jazz Bass | Alesis VI25

Wow... Spent hours with the manual and plug. I love it. I wonder if there are plans for more dampen modes/filters... I really love messing with that and it is fantastic to be able to flip and contract and move the images around. Incredible idea with this thing. It does truly sound great with the Perfect storm.. Because it's so tunable one can get a multi-sampled choir(s) (or anything else for that matter) lickety split. Deep lush drones.. fantastic rhythmic layers. Monsterous grainy fx... now I'll try my own inputs ;P I think one could play with this for days straight.. ALSO, thank YOU for allowing state saving when the demo is disabled! Using in Live 9 with equal buffer size on my card/plugin...works fine with all resonators active. Really a magnificent piece of machinery you guys have whipped up here. Congrats. Haven't decided if I'll sell my cat for it or not... Wait,...no kitty... no! i didn't mean it! Kitttyyyyy noooo

snigelx wrote:Wow... Spent hours with the manual and plug. I love it. I wonder if there are plans for more dampen modes/filters... I really love messing with that and it is fantastic to be able to flip and contract and move the images around. Incredible idea with this thing. It does truly sound great with the Perfect storm.. Because it's so tunable one can get a multi-sampled choir(s) (or anything else for that matter) lickety split. Deep lush drones.. fantastic rhythmic layers. Monsterous grainy fx... now I'll try my own inputs ;P I think one could play with this for days straight.. ALSO, thank YOU for allowing state saving when the demo is disabled! Using in Live 9 with equal buffer size on my card/plugin...works fine with all resonators active. Really a magnificent piece of machinery you guys have whipped up here. Congrats. Haven't decided if I'll sell my cat for it or not... Wait,...no kitty... no! i didn't mean it! Kitttyyyyy noooo
could you please give your computer specs

jackmazzotti wrote: could you please give your computer specs
certainly, Win7 HP 2.4GHz intel core i7-2760QM CPU, 8GB RAM -- Running Live in 32-bit mode btw... Currently running a 256 sample audio buffer size on the card and within KS.. maybe i could do smaller.. haven't tried.

After playing around with Kaleidoscope for a few hours, the best way I could describe it would be a "sonic playground"... an intersection between math, music theory, technology, and feelings all visualized before you. It really is an entirely new way to express these things.

I really do need to read up more on music mathematics though to get the most I can out of it. I am going by my ears currently but I think I could get results faster if I understood half of what I am playing with!

Voice303 wrote:After playing around with Kaleidoscope for a few hours, the best way I could describe it would be a "sonic playground"... an intersection between math, music theory, technology, and feelings all visualized before you. It really is an entirely new way to express these things.
Great quote! :tu: I think we'll have to use this one! :clap:

Agree 100%.
Voice303 wrote: I really do need to read up more on music mathematics though to get the most I can out of it. I am going by my ears currently but I think I could get results faster if I understood half of what I am playing with!
It depends. How deep to you want to go? A florist does not necessarily understand the biology of the flowers he/she arranges into beautiful art-forms. A concert pianist does not know know how to build a Steinway. All you awesome people out there using our verbs probably don't know too much about tuning a Feedback Delay Network. And yet, amazing art is made in all of these cases.

Some people will want to know more. Others won't and will be happy at the surface level. Both are completely valid and wonderful. Sometimes the best art is even made when there exists only an intuitive, almost romantic understanding of tools/technology used. Science follows art. Artists create ideas. Scientists make them possible.

The really wonderful (and I would almost say "spiritually meaningful" like in the "good for the planet" sort of way) thing, is that I think Kaleidoscope will have this effect of making people WANT to know more about these kind of topics. The simple fact that it is instantly aesthetically beautiful, almost magically, inevitably makes people want to figure out the specifics of how this works. And that will lead you on a VERY rewarding journey that will improve your understanding of many things... :tu: Not just using Kaleidoscope...

This was a very deliberate and purposeful decision. See here (and here) for a more elaborate explanation if you wish:

http://2caudio.com/products/kaleidoscope#_Manifesto

http://galbanum.com/support/faq/

Feels awesome to me that you guys get this! :!: :!: Deep thanks!! :tu:

Another trio improvisation (or quartet including myself) KS - crusherX - B2, using custom waveform tuning with a waveform extracted from a cello note:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHXJRN2ykOc

jackmazzotti wrote:this sums up KS for me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CS7j5I6aOc
:D :tu: :party: :phones:

This is your brain...

This is your brain on kaleidoscope :hihi:

I have been struggling somewhat with finding suitable input material for using Kaleidoscope as an effect rather than purely a generator.

It occurred to me this morning that it is possible to blur that difference by using a more sophisticated noise generator.

If you have Serum you will know that it has one of the best noise generators, if not THE best, that I have ever seen in a synth.

It has a vast collection of waveforms, the ability to add your own, and can be modulated, pitched, and of course fed through the full filter and effects chain of Serum.

There is much fun to be had here. I have found the attacks_kick section particularly rewarding (looped, not one-shot) - modulating the pitch creates formant style sounds.

Another one for the eventual 'Hints and Tips / Plays nicely with others' section perhaps.

lnikj wrote:I have been struggling somewhat with finding suitable input material for using Kaleidoscope as an effect rather than purely a generator.

You might want to use lower Feedback settings compared to the average of what I used in most of the factory presets when applied to normal musical signals. This is mentioned earlier in the thread.

(I made most of the factory presets while using a white noise source, since i don't know what you guys will be applying the presets to... but I realize now in retrospect sometimes shorter feedback is better when used on normal musical signals...)

Someone had suggested a great idea: make a preset expansion that has presets designed to be applied to specific families of instruments. We will do this. :tu:

Galbanum wrote: Someone had suggested a great idea: make a preset expansion that has presets designed to be applied to specific families of instruments. We will do this. :tu:
That would be great!! :tu:

Return to “Effects”