Blackhole, a good addition to Valhalla plugins?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

i just watched a demo on youtube and it seems to be a very nice reverb with modulation functions!

just dunno how the reverb sounds (especially interested for the dark sounding reverbs) are compared to valhalla?

afaik you just need an ilok account but no dongle? :D
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

I like it but not for the money so personally would wait for a sale. I find it really nice for the rare occasion i will want to literally create a black hole sound reverb - i,.e huge endless space where there is no escape from :D

Oh, yes, you don't need the physical dongle with eventide ;)

As Theo says, Blackhole is useful for a very specific purpose. I use it on vox that need that big, spacey Eventide sound or it also works well on pads. However if you want to get a small room or plate sound with great flexibility, go for 2cAudio or Valhalla for sure.

:borg:
Last edited by ontol on Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

It's nice for the thing that it is meant for but I would probably look at something else.

If you have Valhalla Shimmer then usefulness of Blackhole is questionable. Especially for the money.
I would also recommend you to try out the free Reflex Free or the fairly cheap Reflex+. The latter one is probably better investment. And no iLok.
No signature here!

thanks a lot! seems opinions split here a bit ;), i found the modulation neat what i saw and heard! and the sound quality seems to be very nice too. i will check again, i think there was no demo sadly.

Reflex (i think pro is better then!) seems to be a neat tool too, does anyone compared it with blackhole in sreverbsound options, quality and modoptions?
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Any 2CAudio reverbs over Blackhole :D

I have Blackhole and Valhalla Vintage and Room. Blackhole is different and suits tracks that you want a huge reverb on it's a nice edition to the Valhalla ones it's not a replacement. For the money though I think I would rather get an Exponential Audio reverb.

There's a new version of Reflex+ out today. Includes additional reverb/delay mode and more flexible modulation. Would definitely get this over Blackhole.

Overall I'd say that Valhalla Shimmer is the smoothest of them. Then comes Eventide and then Reflex+. Reflex+ is the most flexible as it is something of a mix of reverb and delay. It does sound superb and can make some huge atmospheres.
No signature here!

Not much to add to what's already been said, but I have VRoom, VVV, Aether, Breeze, and BlackHole. BlackHole plays one specific role for me - big, spacey, modulated Eventide verbs. I'm sure that it's a lot more capable than that, but I use the others for my bread-n-butter reverb needs.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | SX7

I forgot to check out Valhalla Room - however just went to grab a demo and it says "coming soon"...weird....will wait until the demos are back up and check it out...

robotmonkey wrote:There's a new version of Reflex+ out today. Includes additional reverb/delay mode and more flexible modulation. Would definitely get this over Blackhole.
Just wanted to +1 Reflex+. Discovered it today and already bought it. I'm not sure I could recommend getting it in place of Blackhole .. I feel like they're each distinctive enough to make them both worth owning. That said, Reflex is definitely the better bang for the buck.

The competitor for Blackhole is Valhalla Shimmer and IMO the difference between both is not so big if the color mode "dark" for Shimmer is used. So I don't think it needs both. I've tested Blackhole a lot and at the of the trial time I bought Valhalla Shimmer...

some add. info:

- blackhole is just pure fun
- blackhole is totally smooth. in comparison to some other reverbs i have, blackhole wins for smoothness. a bad example would be breeze for me, lots of pops and clicks in the reverb tail when you go crazy.
Finally!

why do you recommend reflex+ and not pro? :)

demoing PRO atm and the GUI is just small..... wow, i couldnt find an option to resize it, if there is no such option i dont buy it as it's unacceptable to have plugins with such an AWKWARD gui size....

Return to “Effects”