mono/fury versus korg mono/poly

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

But I think it makes sense to compensate for the loss because unless you turn resonance up too much, there is no real reason why the volume should go down. Maybe it could not be avoided technically in hardware, but that doesn't mean it is ideal and to be emulated in software. Just like there is no point in making a monophonic synth plugin just because there used to be monophonic hardware.

In Sylenth the perceived volume also goes down quite a bit which is a bit unfortunate when turning resonance to only, say, 50%.

I like the way it is done in my SE synths. The perceived volume does not go down, but the sound simply gets brighter when increasing resonance up to about 35%. The typical, more aggressive resonance sound only starts way beyond 50%.

fluffy_little_something wrote:But I think it makes sense to compensate for the loss because unless you turn resonance up too much, there is no real reason why the volume should go down.
There is a mathematical reason for this. :hihi:
It's indeed the "perceived volume" that goes down - the amplitude of the "resonating signal" remains at the same level.
fluffy_little_something wrote:Maybe it could not be avoided technically in hardware,
It can.
fluffy_little_something wrote:but that doesn't mean it is ideal and to be emulated in software. Just like there is no point in making a monophonic synth plugin just because there used to be monophonic hardware.
Hmmm, then what's the point of the emulation? :ud:

BTW just to make that clear: I created the Mono/Fury to emulate the Mono/Poly with all it's limitations (non-stereo, para-monophony, no velocity,...). Korg created a great plug-in which extends the original Mono/Poly to a new versatile instrument. In this light the Mono/Fury is no alternative to Korg's Mono/Poly.

Cheers, Björn

it IS an alternative, the only one to be exact, when a user is looking for an emulation without newly added bells and whistles. ;)

Full Bucket wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:But I think it makes sense to compensate for the loss because unless you turn resonance up too much, there is no real reason why the volume should go down.
There is a mathematical reason for this. :hihi:
It's indeed the "perceived volume" that goes down - the amplitude of the "resonating signal" remains at the same level.
fluffy_little_something wrote:Maybe it could not be avoided technically in hardware,
It can.
fluffy_little_something wrote:but that doesn't mean it is ideal and to be emulated in software. Just like there is no point in making a monophonic synth plugin just because there used to be monophonic hardware.
Hmmm, then what's the point of the emulation? :ud:

BTW just to make that clear: I created the Mono/Fury to emulate the Mono/Poly with all it's limitations (non-stereo, para-monophony, no velocity,...). Korg created a great plug-in which extends the original Mono/Poly to a new versatile instrument. In this light the Mono/Fury is no alternative to Korg's Mono/Poly.

Cheers, Björn
Well, with Sylenth for instance the level of the signal as a whole indeed does go down, one can easily see that on the meter in the DAW mixer. The cutoff frequency is getting stronger at the expense of the entire rest of the signal. Since the resonating signal range is very small compared to the rest of the signal, naturally the overall volume goes down.

Yeah, but I think Korg was right in improving the original so to speak. The original was limited not on purpose, but probably for technical and above all economic reasons, which of course no longer play a role in software. I don't think much of 1:1 emulations, it is like overestimating and glorifying something outdated.

i for one would have welcomed velocity sensitivity in the mono/fury, but i do like its paraphonic modes. dunno about glorifying or whether glorifying new bells and whistles is any better, to be honest.

if you want game boy sounds, e.g., a lot of limitations are simply a must. :shrug:

filter303 wrote:
Full Bucket wrote: Just a comment: On my hardware Mono/Poly the output gets "lower" when you add resonance
This is also my experience on most analog synths I have played. In fact I can't remember any of my analog synths doing the same thing that Korg Monopoly plugin does with it's resonance volume boost.
And this is why i love my AX80. It uses the CEM3372 VCA/VCF chip that keeps the sound level
constant no matter how much reso you add, giving even high reso bass sounds a fat low end!
right out of the cem3372 data sheet :borg:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

fluffy_little_something wrote:I don't think much of 1:1 emulations, it is like overestimating and glorifying something outdated.
Indeed, Mono/Fury is the biggest monument I ever could have built for my beloved hardware Mono/Poly (now for over 30 years in my possession). Thou shalt kneel down :hail: and not bow down thyself to the Minimoog (nor the CEMs)! :uhuhuh:

Cheers, Björn

fabi wrote:i for one would have welcomed velocity sensitivity in the mono/fury, but i do like its paraphonic modes. dunno about glorifying or whether glorifying new bells and whistles is any better, to be honest.

if you want game boy sounds, e.g., a lot of limitations are simply a must. :shrug:
I don't think it makes sense to glorify anything technical, I am very sober and unsentimental when it comes to technology. Hardware and software synths are just tools, what matters is what one can do with them, how easy they are to use, how reliable/solid they are etc.
I prefer a good plugin over any hardware. Specifically I would prefer both emulations discussed here over the original hardware, which I would have to connect to my computer; which would consume additional energy; which there would be only a single instance of unless I bought more units.

For instance, I would never trade Sylenth for such an old Korg hardware synth. If someone gave me such hardware, I would sell it immediately and get something useful instead 8)

If a plugin supports velocity, one can also turn it to zero if needed.
Gameboy?! I hate those things and video games in general 8)

I love them, and video games in general. 8) ;)

there are a lot of plug-ins that I only use as one instance. Don't really know why, it's just something I do. With the Korg MS-20 vst it makes the most sense, though, as I use that one with its dedicated hardware MIDI controller. Looking at ebay prices for the controller alone I kind of regret not having bought two of them, back when they were on sale in my city, years ago.

BlackWinny wrote:I'm impatient to see if Björn will make a skinnable version of Deputy Mark. It will be the nirvana for me if one day he makes it.
:hug:
I don't want to warm up old coffee (threads in this case :hihi:) but I guess the deputy Mark II v1.1.0 is the one for you. :D

Cheers, Björn

Full Bucket wrote:
BlackWinny wrote:I'm impatient to see if Björn will make a skinnable version of Deputy Mark. It will be the nirvana for me if one day he makes it.
I don't want to warm up old coffee (threads in this case :hihi:) but I guess the deputy Mark II v1.1.0 is the one for you. :D

Cheers, Björn
It's been a great news today, Björn! And I send you a great thank you!

I've downloaded it two hours ago and I'm already making my little skin in an ultra-modern (futuristic) style with luminous phosphorescent buttons and sliders on a black background...
:tu:
(with Knobman it's very easy)

I've seen that you have kept the method you used for Ragnarök... Very nice, because once the method is understood for the first one (it is very simple but very direct and very efficient!) it is immediately understood for the other one!

It's a great improvement!

Merci, merci, merci, Björn!!!
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

Nice new skin for Deputy. Thank you :party:
:tu: All is good

Hmmm... I have a little problem Björn to skin Deputy.

The method is of course exactly the same as for Ragnarök... but in the zip file of Ragnarök we had the png files (in the resource directory) which were there to be used as starting point (sort of patterns) for our imagination... but in the zip file of Deputy we don't have them. These files are necessary for example to know how many step there are in the knob and slider animations and their exact pixel sizes (all these informations can't be of course in the ini file). And it would be nice to have also the default background in png to work directly on a copy on it for the static parts of our skins (like it was for Ragnarök).

I think that it's simply an oversight. You could give us a png pattern of these files as you and Hans made for Ragnarök?

Thanks a lot, Björn!
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

fluffy_little_something wrote:Maybe it uses the "standard" Full Bucket sound combined with the Mono Poly user interface :wink:
No. :wink:
[Insert Signature Here]

Thanks for the deputy update! Excellent dark skin!
[Insert Signature Here]

Return to “Instruments”