What is your favorite small effects developer and why?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Krakatau wrote:U-he

Urs is a kind, simple and passionate person apart from being a talented developer
Unfortunately for this thread, U-he is a multi-person operation that sells their cheapest plugin at €69.

I love their products though, and it's great to see how they've grown and continue to have fantastic support.

Admiral Quality is a one man operation. Not as cheap as some, but top notch products.

Mike has produced "one-off" versions of SCAMP and Poly-Ana for me when updates didn't work on my XP setup. That's superb customer support imho.

HobbyCore wrote:I've update the OP with most all of the suggestions so far!
Nice list, but if you're pedantic about the "one man/<= $50" thing you gotta remove AudioDamage (two men, although to my knowledge only one is doing the DSP) and cytomic (one man but definitely >$50).

fese wrote:
HobbyCore wrote:I've update the OP with most all of the suggestions so far!
Nice list, but if you're pedantic about the "one man/<= $50" thing you gotta remove AudioDamage (two men, although to my knowledge only one is doing the DSP) and cytomic (one man but definitely >$50).
I will note this, thank you.

edit: noted. I added an 'honorable mentions' category. Hopefully I haven't missed anyone so far.

My personal fav is Greg from Orange Tree Samples. Cool guy all around. :) Sean from Valhalla comes close, too. And Onqel (TSE) and Shane (Kazrog)...

Vallhala is a good one.
...also definitely ToneBoosters. Whenever big expansive stuff fails you and you tear your hairs off from wasted funds (Yeah, I'm looking at you, Waves, with your "let's try NOT working today" e-licencer thing.), ToneBoosters site is a place where there is a pretty big chance you find the exact same thing for a fraction of the price. For example: TBFix. Georgeus.
Evovled into noctucat...
http://www.noctucat.com/

Nobody really
circuit modeling and 0-dfb filters are cool

My favorites are Tone Boosters and then Valhalla.

The real focus should be small companies vs. large monster companies. Who cares if a firm has 2, 3, even 6 employees when it's versus one that has a hundred? And the average top synth price is fairly hovering at around 100 dollars, which would eliminate anyone who offers a great synth at that fair-market price.

No one has any idea how many are employed by many of these supposed one-man firms listed, so this makes it even more skewed and pointless.

Freeware makers vs. commercial could be a discussion -- of course, done many times before.

The thread we really need to see here is the details and discussion on these monster firms, the ones that out-advertise, out-talk, etc., all the smaller firms. This, however, is the big taboo here -- talking about things like that, but until it happens we are living in the land of makebelieve.

MarlaPodolski wrote:The real focus should be small companies vs. large monster companies. Who cares if a firm has 2, 3, even 6 employees when it's versus one that has a hundred? And the average top synth price is fairly hovering at around 100 dollars, which would eliminate anyone who offers a great synth at that fair-market price.

No one has any idea how many are employed by many of these supposed one-man firms listed, so this makes it even more skewed and pointless.

Freeware makers vs. commercial could be a discussion -- of course, done many times before.

The thread we really need to see here is the details and discussion on these monster firms, the ones that out-advertise, out-talk, etc., all the smaller firms. This, however, is the big taboo here -- talking about things like that, but until it happens we are living in the land of makebelieve.
Great point, go ahead and start your own thread. :phones:

Melda Production is a one man operation with some cool effects. Bundles get updated regularly with new plugins added for free.

HobbyCore wrote:Great point, go ahead and start your own thread. :phones:
No thanks. These big-money companies are the bread and butter of KVR. I'm not dumb enough to dig into that one.

I guess my point to you was that you are possibly excluding a lot of great little firms here by the one-man/$50 limit. That's why so many are trying to squeeze them into the thread.

nobody knows me and http://www.strayworx.com ? :(

(see? hidden advertisement! :) )

MarlaPodolski wrote:
HobbyCore wrote:Great point, go ahead and start your own thread. :phones:
No thanks. These big-money companies are the bread and butter of KVR. I'm not dumb enough to dig into that one.

I guess my point to you was that you are possibly excluding a lot of great little firms here by the one-man/$50 limit. That's why so many are trying to squeeze them into the thread.
Do some research. You'd be surprised how many employees the so-called big companies really have.

Nothing is taboo, but do yourself a favor and research before assuming. This has been talked about exhaustively through the years and I expect it to be something we all talk about for years to come. No conspiracy to speak of.

JohnD71651 wrote:Sknote. He knows what he's doing, his channel strip plugins sound absolutely awesome and have the features you need.

IMHO, there are far too many plugins around that look nice but seem to have been designed by graphic designers rather than audio engineers.
+1

Return to “Effects”