Is $125 for Waves CLA Classic too good of a deal to pass up?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Andy Gone wrote:Well, hopefully you are not expecting them selling Mercury for 50 bucks :) Depends on what you expect as 'groundbreaking deals' :)
Waiting for the One Knob collection to get priced at $79 again. I can do an upgrade for $119 the last time I checked.

Scoring the L3-16 bundle for $149 was another groundbreaking deal for me. Using vouchers led to getting Center and MaxxVolume for next to nothing.

I'm not sure there's much more out there in the Waves lineup that I'd want, aside from the SSL, CLA Classics, One Knobs, and NLS.

check out Waveuniverse.com

they usually have the lowest price on the net

its 100% legit and its not second hand...to be honest i don't know why its always cheaper atr that site than Waves and other stores

Just sign up free and check out the member prices, its always cheaper than waves.com

sometimes other sites have a plugin or two even cheaper but its rare
If your plugin is a Synth-edit/synth-maker creation, Say So.
If not Make a Mac version of your Plugins Please.

https://soundcloud.com/realmarco

...everyone is out to get me!!!!!!!

realmarco wrote:check out Waveuniverse.com

they usually have the lowest price on the net

its 100% legit and its not second hand...to be honest i don't know why its always cheaper atr that site than Waves and other stores

Just sign up free and check out the member prices, its always cheaper than waves.com

sometimes other sites have a plugin or two even cheaper but its rare
plugindiscounts are always cheaper than waves universe. I check every sale when i want to buy something waves.

I've been thinking about picking up some extra compressors for buss compression
The thing here that stands out to me is that you want buss compressors. Thats not really what CLA classic compressors are meant to do. The LA2A tends to be ok on busses once in a while, and 1176s really arent meant for buss compression at all. While the LA3A is a nice hardware piece. I have yet to hear a software 3A that gives you something that most everyone doesnt already have, in their basic compression arsenal.
there aren't any groundbreaking deals until Black Friday through Christmas, or at least there haven't been any that I noticed in the past year.
Theyre selling plugins for $29 each and offering 20-40% of on top of that. Gold bundle for $147....Prices have never been lower. Its not going to get any more ground breaking than that.
There ya have it...

Ultrasonic wrote:
I've been thinking about picking up some extra compressors for buss compression
The thing here that stands out to me is that you want buss compressors. Thats not really what CLA classic compressors are meant to do. The LA2A tends to be ok on busses once in a while, and 1176s really arent meant for buss compression at all. While the LA3A is a nice hardware piece. I have yet to hear a software 3A that gives you something that most everyone doesnt already have, in their basic compression arsenal.
combine subtly the La3a with a slight bass boost from the scheps-73 on the Main buss. it give a mix that extra professional recording imprint.

I agree with the statement that most Dynamics plugin can do a LA3a ez

but you have to tweak a preset and remember that preset everytime you want that sound.

having the La3a as is, is much more convenient

So what might be some suggestions for drum buss compression, for example? Would multiband compression work better?

Since I started this topic, I've picked up PSP Mixpack2, FF Pro-C, and The Glue. The Glue seems to working fantastic on the 2-buss. Not sure what to do with the drum buss, synth buss, vox buss, etc.

DJMaytag wrote:So what might be some suggestions for drum buss compression, for example? Would multiband compression work better?

Since I started this topic, I've picked up PSP Mixpack2, FF Pro-C, and The Glue. The Glue seems to working fantastic on the 2-buss. Not sure what to do with the drum buss, synth buss, vox buss, etc.
Multiband? No way. What compressors are you interested in? There's just so many options. Personally I'll use the DC8C2 on occasion, but I think the waves H-Comp gets the most use on the drum bus. I like the VC76 too. You can get a lot of use out of Pro-C on each of the busses. What else do you have?

I have H-Comp (plus all the comps that come with Waves Gold), the L3-16 bundle, Focusrite Red 3, PSP Mixpack2, The Glue, and the stock plugins that come with Cubase Artist 8.

The only thing on my purchasing horizon is FF Pro-L. That could change though, as I am definitely noticing the "first transient" problem that Waves plugs don't seem to be able to catch, regardless of which compressor is used.

I ask this not so much to ask "what's the best buss comp?", but to ask what others are using and experiment for myself to see what works for me.

DJMaytag wrote:
Andy Gone wrote:Well, hopefully you are not expecting them selling Mercury for 50 bucks :) Depends on what you expect as 'groundbreaking deals' :)
Waiting for the One Knob collection to get priced at $79 again. I can do an upgrade for $119 the last time I checked.

Scoring the L3-16 bundle for $149 was another groundbreaking deal for me. Using vouchers led to getting Center and MaxxVolume for next to nothing.

I'm not sure there's much more out there in the Waves lineup that I'd want, aside from the SSL, CLA Classics, One Knobs, and NLS.
Yup, I find myself using SSL and NLS on every mix. SSL strips are my to-go for rock drums. CLA comps find their place usually on vocals.
Win10 Cubase Pro 9.5

DJMaytag wrote:I have H-Comp (plus all the comps that come with Waves Gold), the L3-16 bundle, Focusrite Red 3, PSP Mixpack2, The Glue, and the stock plugins that come with Cubase Artist 8.

The only thing on my purchasing horizon is FF Pro-L. That could change though, as I am definitely noticing the "first transient" problem that Waves plugs don't seem to be able to catch, regardless of which compressor is used.

I ask this not so much to ask "what's the best buss comp?", but to ask what others are using and experiment for myself to see what works for me.
Then grab some version of the 1176 compressor or DC8C2 if you need something really quick.

If you mean quick as in affordable enough to buy right this moment, then that shouldn't be a problem.

If you mean quick as in speed, then I may need to clarify. The first transient of a loud sound in a song (or loud transient after a quiet phase/breakdown of a song) is what Waves can't seem to handle, no matter which of their compressors I use (shared code with differing GUIs, actually?) I could set them to faster attack times, but that's not really the solution I was after. FF Pro-C seems to be able to catch those transients that something like H-Comp can't.

Don't forget that most Acoustic drum Romplers have the drums already processed ( EQ and Dynamics)

So using a compressor might not even be necessary. if the mix sounds good and it isnt clipping(over 0dB)
you don't need compression

Alot of people waste their time with processing channels soloed. the point of mixing is to have several sounds all playing at the same time . So what sounds good on its own might not work when you combined the other audio.

Less is more usually !

The glue is a SSL comp that isnt designed to compress the crap out of a mix.
the hardware version has always been used to compress just a little.

If u want LOUD use something else.
Use something like like the wave's L1 or L2 (i recomend L2). there might be some Freeware/inexpensive alternative but im already good with that.

$99 now. One year later, it's cheaper and I don't want it. LOL

simon.a.billington wrote:That hasn't been my experience, when did you last try them?? Possibly just an earlier bug that has been since fixed.

It's the first I've heard or it in all these years to be honest, you would think others would have noticed it too. It's very unlikely a company like Waves would miss a detail like that.

just demoed the very latest CLA pack. Issue hasn't changed. It's not really a bug, but how all waves dynamics plugins behave.

If you have a gap in the audio to where the GR needle has completely settles, it misses compressing the first attack properly and your vu meter will spike a ton of db and likely clip, then it settles into expected behaviour. Same as when transport is stopped and you hit playback. You can clearly hear the pop sound it adds when it misses this very first attack.

Return to “Effects”