Sylenth1 Awesome Alternatives?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Sylenth1

Yeah, makes sense too.

1wob2many wrote:
spaceman wrote:Would you say that a Moog released 20 years ago or a Virus released 10 years ago is irrelevant in today's market?

Let's face it, most people treat software like a cheap pill satisfying a gear lust addiction and the synths only become "irrelevant" because a justification is needed for buying new gear.

Sylenth1 sound just as great as it did when it was first released, just like any of those classic hardware synths
Spot on Spaceman.

I've often seen soft synths being described as "dated" or "long-in-the-tooth" in these forums (with no explanation of what is meant by these terms in context). The output of soft synths is numbers and the same numbers were available 10 years ago as are available now. And of course a soft synth released a few years ago is much less likely to bring your CPU to its needs than some of the less "dated" synths.

ZDF: the Go-Faster-Stripes of the VST world?
It is true that Sylenth sounds just the same as always. But in the years since it came out, the overall bar has been raised a lot. The top 20 soft synths today are way better than the top 20 from 10 years ago. And it is not just sound. Preset browsers, modulation systems, visual size, clarity, flexibility, integration with controllers, etc. In all these areas the synths of today are significantly better.

Some older synths now seem dated... they can be too small for todays monitors, no resizing possible, clumsy old preset browsers, no visual feedback and less flexible/interactive modulation. The sound is better today but it is those things more than the sound itself that make a synth seem dated.

pdxindy wrote:
1wob2many wrote:
spaceman wrote:Would you say that a Moog released 20 years ago or a Virus released 10 years ago is irrelevant in today's market?

Let's face it, most people treat software like a cheap pill satisfying a gear lust addiction and the synths only become "irrelevant" because a justification is needed for buying new gear.

Sylenth1 sound just as great as it did when it was first released, just like any of those classic hardware synths
Spot on Spaceman.

I've often seen soft synths being described as "dated" or "long-in-the-tooth" in these forums (with no explanation of what is meant by these terms in context). The output of soft synths is numbers and the same numbers were available 10 years ago as are available now. And of course a soft synth released a few years ago is much less likely to bring your CPU to its needs than some of the less "dated" synths.

It is true that Sylenth sounds just the same as always. But in the years since it came out, the overall bar has been raised a lot. The top 20 soft synths today are way better than the top 20 from 10 years ago. And it is not just sound. Preset browsers, modulation systems, visual size, clarity, flexibility, integration with controllers, etc. In all these areas the synths of today are significantly better.

Some older synths now seem dated... they can be too small for todays monitors, no resizing possible, clumsy old preset browsers, no visual feedback and less flexible/interactive modulation. The sound is better today but it is those things more than the sound itself that make a synth seem dated.
Yeah I agree there are dated VSTs in terms of the interface certainly. Korg are the worst offenders there. Meanwhile their iOS version look beautiful! Browser improvements are nice to have but don't detract from a synth itself in terms of usability at least. Even modulation techniques - Sure there are fancy new ways of doing this, but I don't think older methods necessarily need to be improved all the time.

As for people saying that a sound is dated - that is usually nonsense. For something to be dated, it has to stand out as being from a certain time where things aren't done that way anymore. Like 50's style interior design. This may be the case with some of the earliest VST synths that were trying emulate something, but the good ones from the time of when Sylenth came out hold their own and have an appreciable character. Sure improvements are being made to analog modeling, but VA's that aren't trying to emulate something like Sylenth1 don't necessarily need to be "improved". They are what they are and are good. A 303 was trying to emulate a bass guitar when it first came out. Our methods of emulating a bass guitar electronically have improved drastically but a 303 ain't bad because it's bass guitar modeling sounds "dated".

Echoes in the Attic wrote:
pdxindy wrote:
1wob2many wrote:

Spot on Spaceman.

Yeah I agree there are dated VSTs in terms of the interface certainly. Korg are the worst offenders there. Meanwhile their iOS version look beautiful! Browser improvements are nice to have but don't detract from a synth itself in terms of usability at least. Even modulation techniques - Sure there are fancy new ways of doing this, but I don't think older methods necessarily need to be improved all the time.

As for people saying that a sound is dated - that is usually nonsense. For something to be dated, it has to stand out as being from a certain time where things aren't done that way anymore. Like 50's style interior design. This may be the case with some of the earliest VST synths that were trying emulate something, but the good ones from the time of when Sylenth came out hold their own and have an appreciable character. Sure improvements are being made to analog modeling, but VA's that aren't trying to emulate something like Sylenth1 don't necessarily need to be "improved". They are what they are and are good. A 303 was trying to emulate a bass guitar when it first came out. Our methods of emulating a bass guitar electronically have improved drastically but a 303 ain't bad because it's bass guitar modeling sounds "dated".
Not only that, but through FX processing, which has also come a long way, almost any synth can be made to sound better.

What do you guys think of Waves Element is a Sylenth1 alternative?

It's currently on a big sale, only $76, normally $200

mike the mental wrote:What do you guys think of Waves Element is a Sylenth1 alternative?

A good synth that's more than capable for most duties, and it doesn't take too many CPU cycles.

That's a great price at the minute too.

mike the mental wrote:What do you guys think of Waves Element is a Sylenth1 alternative?
There is no way Element can do the same thing as Sylenth1. Not even in the same galaxy. Mind you, I love Element and don't understand why it's so underrated, but it can't do Sylenth. What it does do, it does great though. To me Waves Element reminds me of the 80's for some strange reason. It might be an emulation of something from the 80's? Juno? Jupiter? OB? I thought it was the programming but even when I tweak... I swear I keep getting that 80's thing from Element. I just can't put a finger on it and it's driving me crazy because I can't figure it out.

.-.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWS and plugins.

HaHa I can't believe this thread is still going! There is nothing equal to or better than Sylenth1. Regardless of Lennard's poor customer relations and complete ignorance as to estimating a timeline for a product release, Sylenth is destined to be the ultimate classic synth.

Oh yeah, for all you "today's synths sound better and have better features" people, Sylenth1 was number 1 again in 2014, eight years after it first came out.

C-note wrote:
Oh yeah, for all you "today's synths sound better and have better features" people, Sylenth1 was number 1 again in 2014, eight years after it first came out.
Who was asked? Warez-Kiddies? :hihi:

Orbit-50 wrote:
There is no way Element can do the same thing as Sylenth1. Not even in the same galaxy. Mind you, I love Element and don't understand why it's so underrated, but it can't do Sylenth. What it does do, it does great though. To me Waves Element reminds me of the 80's for some strange reason. It might be an emulation of something from the 80's? Juno? Jupiter? OB? I thought it was the programming but even when I tweak... I swear I keep getting that 80's thing from Element. I just can't put a finger on it and it's driving me crazy because I can't figure it out.

.-.
Just picked it up because of the sale. Couldn't resist. You're right. There is something very 80s about this synth. Love the ARP. IMO, not worth $200 but at this price it's a no brainer.

wagtunes wrote:
Orbit-50 wrote:

.-.
Just picked it up because of the sale. Couldn't resist. You're right. There is something very 80s about this synth. Love the ARP. IMO, not worth $200 but at this price it's a no brainer.
It's a really cool synth. Glad to hear you're enjoying it! Maybe one day Waves will come out with it and say, "Ok dude, you got us. We modeled Element after the Roland xxxxxxxxx or the Casio xxxxx produced in the year 198x." I highly doubt it though. :lol:

.-.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWS and plugins.

2ZrgE wrote:
C-note wrote:
Who was asked? Warez-Kiddies? :hihi:
If you are really interested (probably not) you could ask Computer Music mag what their survey Demos were.

The best EDM synth who tries hard not to be one: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 1&t=430782

Sorry, but can't help it. :P I think the u-he target audience is too omnipresent to get away from it with a product which marches to a different drummer. Sound designers who need to ask what's typical EDM sounds which they can produce then says it all really.

chk071 wrote:The best EDM synth who tries hard not to be one: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 1&t=430782

Sorry, but can't help it. :P I think the u-he target audience is too omnipresent to get away from it with a product which marches to a different drummer. Sound designers who need to ask what's typical EDM sounds which they can produce then says it all really.
I think might be a possibility the Big Tone guy will do sounds for the Hive...maybe?
He did the Sylenth ones (I'm pretty sure), which are very good.
Maybe a good number of those type of sounds would do.
Most trance, wobble, ...so called modern music is a lot of automation, and filter, lfo type stuff where the sound just isn't that important, but the effects, and automation are. Take a bell sound, and put a bit crusher, and distortion on it, and you've transformed the sound into an industrial bass.

I tried that Spire synth. I don't like it at all. Every sound is an effects sounds. Mute the effects of that cool psy sweep, and it ends up being the sound of a rooster like morning call. The whole thing is more an effects processor than a synth. Sounds like tin ringing screeching nails on chalk board imo.

Not in the position nor interested in giving advices, but frankly, you'd just have to take a look around here, and contact the "usual suspects" here, or elsewhere, and i'm sure they'd lick their fingers over it (as far as i read there even had been someone i won't mention who has done a lot of EDM banks, but was rejected for the internal beta test). But then, maybe that has already been done, i don't know. But IMO, doing sounds on a "i don't even know what sounds are typical, maybe someone can point me at it, then i'll create the sounds" seems a bit without heart, and if it's without heart, there can't be quality.

Return to “Instruments”