Camel Audio ceasing sales? [Update: CA acquired by Apple]

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic

DHR53 wrote:So, why is Camel Audio closing down?
the people who know are not saying

everyone else is just guessing

Relax, it is just a bad dream.

Everything will be fine tomorrow ;)

All these people saying Apple... what about...

Imagevia Imgflip Meme Maker
SW: Cubase 9.5 | Komplete 11 | Omnisphere 2 | Perfect Storm 2.5 | Soundtoys 5
HW: Steinberg UR28M | Focal Alpha 50 | Fender Jazz Bass | Alesis VI25

Surely that should be:
Alchemywhere?
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Jace-BeOS wrote:I heard down the pub that the pub was entirely staffed by former Camel Audio engineers who had been displaced in their career usefulness when Alchemy 2 attained self-awareness.
You might be on to something...
Ben Gillet: "I studied Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence at university"

http://www.kvraudio.com/interviews/cari ... udio-22614

chk071 wrote:So when it's not a disease, what is it then? Does it have to be bad to be able to name it a "disease"? Obviously there's something functioning differently.
Yes it would have to be bad for to be called a disease. A disease is something someone is suffering from, but I don`t know any single autist who is suffering from his/her autism. Only their family members, friends, partners are suffering from their autism, because they cannot understand the inner world of the autist. The autist himself doesn`t suffer. In fact they feel very well. The autist only suffers from the intolerance of the rest of the world but he/she suffers not from the autism.

There is also no "cure" because it cannot be cured as well as homosexuality cannot be cured (which is also not a disease like people recognized finaly, fortunately).

Autism is inborn. Autists are neurologic different. They feel and think different, they have other priorities and as said a different view on the world and the people. If you would take the autism away from a person you would kill this person because the autism is his/her personality. A disease you can take away, but there is absolutely nothing which could take away autism, fortunately.
Simplicity without a name, is free from all external aim. With no desire, at rest and still,
all things go right as of their will.
Daodejing verse 37

Mojo42 wrote:
Jace-BeOS wrote:Kudos for the attemps to combat the myths, Mojo42 :tu:
Thanks. I already had the strong suspicion that I`m not alone here 8) :lol:

Playing around hours for hours with electronic equipement (Synthesizer) seems to be a very "special interest" :lol: :lol: :lol:

No, no I don`t want to say that everybody here is autistic :wink: but a couple for sure.
As the parent of a college bound young man diagnosed as 'high functioning' Aspergers, while in grade school, I will express my gratitude for your efforts. Thank you Mojo42, you made my day :-)

FWIW, my son wishes to pursue a degree in music education - auditions start next month!
"All persons living or dead are purely coincidental." - Vonnegut

masterhiggins wrote:As someone with Asperger's syndrome who's met a lot of other Aspies in group meetings ...those characteristics are greatly misrepresented. There are almost as many variations as there are people. Some are chronic liars. Some have criminal records. Most of them in the group were considered ah*les by their partners because of an inability to reciprocate with others. TV likes to portray Aspies like they're all honest savant super geniuses (criminal minds, Mozart and the whale). In reality most people don't like them. Is it unfair? Absolutely. However, I agree that it's not a disease. It's just being different.
I think you are correct in that those characteristics are often over generalized. My immediate experience, as a parent, differs from yours in that I've not had to cope with delinquency, but I'm very much aware of those who have.

And again, your spot on that TV and the Movies exagerate - when in reality the (perceived) deficiency in an Aspergers social interaction is more subtle - in the case of my son, it's learned behavior, as opposed to instinct. However, with maturity he's developed his awareness of those around him and the ability to moderate his conduct. Now I would go so far as to say he's swung the opposite direction and developed a heightened sense of awareness towards the feelings of others.

I've always maintained the challenges of adolescence would serve him well into adulthood - I'm reasonably confident he's on the right path.
"All persons living or dead are purely coincidental." - Vonnegut

Kriminal wrote:
the people who know are not saying

everyone else is just guessing
No, way back in the double-digit pages we figured out it was the new VAT tax thing...
Right?
ImageImageImageImage

No, no - Mrs. Doubtfire sat on CA, that's the reason.

chk071 wrote:So when it's not a disease, what is it then? Does it have to be bad to be able to name it a "disease"? Obviously there's something functioning differently.
It is not a disease. It is a configuration. Disease is a totally different classification of human ailment. You should look up the definitions of "disease", "disorder", and "syndrome".

Asperger's Syndrome is, as it says right there in the name, a syndrome. A syndrome is not a disease. It is a collection of symptoms/traits/features that appear to be interrelated which are not caused by biological infection or progressive degeneration.

The autism spectrum: a sliding scale of how affected a person is by the features of autism.

Asperger's Syndrome is a form of autism, which is classified as a "pervasive developmental disorder". This means it is an "abnormal" process of development from birth-onward, that impacts pretty much every aspect of human development (learning, behavior, personality, health, body function, etc).

Many people with this diagnosis reject the notion of being "broken" or having a disorder. These are often the people who are very functional, not the stereotyped children seen in the media. When you look at the variety of human neurology and functionality, high-functioning autism seems actually very common (there are more people undiagnosed than diagnosed, and it gets kind of hard to really determine where the cut off point is for the diagnosis being meaningful or relevant, in comparison to average human beings not otherwise diagnosed with any disorders).

IMO: Autism is more likely just another example of how we, as a society, have started to finally acknowledge that different people have different strengths and weaknesses, and different learning styles (some people learn best by reading, some by doing, some by hearing, some by watching; and many of the people who are best in one area will have an area they are poor in). There is a hypothesis that autistic persons do not possess the same developmental process of observation and mimicry of those around them; V. S. Ramachandran (an interesting neurologist who i personally think is super autistic) refers to this neurological feature as "mirror neurons". It goes some distance to show that autistic people miss learning certain social cues because they don't watch them as children, and therefore don't adopt use of them themselves. This doesn't mean they never do or cannot.

Most common in the media is the presentation of troubled children with speech problems, behavioral problems, and self-harming behaviors, but these are stereotypes created by what's the most socially upsetting examples of the condition. There are countless people who meet the diagnostic criteria without having any outward sign of being problematic, troubled, unhealthy, etc. There are so many undiagnosed adults that WOULD HAVE BEEN diagnosed if they grew up as children of TODAY, who found their way through life, sometimes falling through the cracks in the system (like in school and work) and sometimes being very successful because of their deep focus on topics that they found to be marketable skills.

The condition doesn't "go away" as you get older, and you cannot "cure" it. The cause is unknown and it has been a huge debate about whether it has become a suddenly more common thing, or if we are simply paying more attention to it. Frankly, i think it's a little of both. i think we're poisoning our environment and selves so much that there has to be a result in the gene pool. No, it was not caused by vaccines! It might not even be "caused" but becoming more prominent and finding a place (as much as it makes people feel horribly out of place). Just like sociopaths are more successful in the rank capitalism of the USA than a sensitive and empathetic person would be, a tech-obsessed autistic computer geek is way more successful in a tech-happy environment ;-) Someone like Bill Gates is an example. If the social deficits do not overpower the more useful features (hyper focus), and if the person grows up in an enabling environment (as Gates did), then the person can actually be quite successful due to these traits that the media likes to call a disorder. [EDIT: i don't claim to know if Bill Gates acknowledges being autistic. i am using him as an example of what i think is a likely example. If i've outed him, well, i don't think it'll hurt him!]

By the way... i'm diagnosed as high functioning autistic. i don't need the diagnosis. It's is irrelevant. i grew up, had relationships, bought a car, a house, etc, just like anyone that lucks out to get a job with the money to offer those things. i sought the diagnosis in a panic after considerable harassment in the workplace, in order to get accommodation. That didn't work. i got stigmatized and treated horribly for it (i was even the target of a focused hate blog/campaign because i made a bit of a public figure of myself while on psych drugs). i am an example of the kind of person who fell through the cracks in the system, because my learning style is utterly incompatible with the public school system of indoctrination and binge & purge rote memorization (it's called the Prussian-industrial model). i learn by seeing and doing. Kinesthetic learning style. i'm also painfully empathetic, compulsively honest, law-abiding, and very good at understanding human behavior. i'm not a caricature of a disorder (though psych drugs made me into that for a few years).

You might think my verboseness here is an example of stereotyped autism (obsession or lack of comprehending cues to be brief), but it's actually a willful behavior that developed as a compensation for growing up having been constantly misunderstood, mistreated, and people presuming the wrong things about me. (sigh... you could say it's overcompensation, maybe) When presented with people who are inquiring about something that matters to me, like this subject, i choose to see an opportunity to provide information at the risk of the response "TL;DR". People can read it or not. Thanks for at least inquiring. Seeking to understand our fellow human beings is how we defeat xenophobia.
Last edited by Jace-BeOS on Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Mojo42 wrote:The autist himself doesn`t suffer. In fact they feel very well. The autist only suffers from the intolerance of the rest of the world but he/she suffers not from the autism.
This may apply to you and i but it does not apply to all persons on the spectrum. i know of several parents with children that are very low-functioning. It might be comorbid intellectual disability, or just problems regulating their own impulses and learning how to do the things an individual needs to learn in order to become a functional individual. Whatever it is, they struggle to deal with other human beings and it does indeed seem very painful. If they could just be by themselves (some want to, some don't), doing whatever it is that they enjoy, they might feel less distress, but they wouldn't be able to care for their practical needs. Indeed, there is suffering out there. It's not the norm, though, and it is certainly over-presented in the media.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Ummmmm, oh never mind. You can't really derail a thread that's going nowhere anyway....... :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Seems that I have brought the thread to life again :lol:

Maybe I will add something later, because now I first need to eat something and stereotypical follow my rituals in watching my serial :lol: :wink:

But it is actually new for me that autists are suffering, but I agree that it can be impossible to survive without the help of others for some who actually are completely trapped into their own world. But if they suffer is the question. I´m posting at a autism forum and it has over 6000 members, none of them said something about suffering. I only see their relatives and partners constantly complaining about how horrible autism is........for them, for the relatives and the partners. But of course: Autists who are posting at a forum are high functional of course and so we have to make differences I guess.
Simplicity without a name, is free from all external aim. With no desire, at rest and still,
all things go right as of their will.
Daodejing verse 37

In the end Ben might really have Asperger and wasn't empathetic enough to tell his despaired customers the plain truth of what happened...

(No, impossible, aren't all Asperger people painfully honest? :P)

Return to “Instruments”