New granular synth: The Mangle

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Mangle

Echoes in the Attic wrote:this doesn't give me a ton of confidence. I can't really believe that in all this development, nobody said "hey we should have a waveform display like every other granular sampler ever, showing the position of playback". So I feel like there is some reason they don't want it. They've faced the same criticism/suggestion with Stylus RMX. Everybody wants a waveform display of the loops and people have been saying that for years. So they really just didn't think of that for Omnisphere? Something is weird there.
Food for thought: Deadlines and Priorities! Stylus RMX stuff aside, it looks like Eric was coordinating a LOT of different development branches working on a VERY diverse set of features for Omni 2.0. And they obviously wanted to release ASAP.

Considering some of the features that were introduced between Omni 1.0 and 1.5, I would think there *is* real hope that they will get to improving the visualization of the granular section at some point. Keep requesting!

PS. Apologies to the OP. Looks like this has become a 'What are your thoughts on anything that has to do with granular synthesis'? thread. May I just say that I've purchased The Mangler and I'm loving the sounds I've been able to make so far using only a single layer. VERY nice tool!

jlanthier wrote: PS. Apologies to the OP. Looks like this has become a 'What are your thoughts on anything that has to do with granular synthesis'? thread. May I just say that I've purchased The Mangler and I'm loving the sounds I've been able to make so far using only a single layer. VERY nice tool!
+1 i absolutely agree ...so did i too, (using single layers)

It has an undeniable potentials but of course, needs currently some improvements

:tu:

All cool, and yes I agree let's go back right on the Mangle track! It deserves it :)

Sampleconstruct wrote:
jc_vt wrote:Simon:

Yet another excellent tutorial. I've used Padshop for a while, but you showed me some great new tips!

JC
Thanks, more tips in the next one, it's a deep plugin.
wow...going to sit down with this and the demo (which strangely hasn't installed any content at all

i'm gonna be a cheeky f**k and ask if you plan to do anything similar for 'the mangle' ?? despite it's low price, i am sure i am not the only one who feels a little nervous about jumping in.

off to watch your demo

wow !! thanks simon. really great to hear some sublime granular goodness, rather than the normal garbled, screeching madness that i normally achieve

seems like a very clear plugin to navigate. of course, added to the price, might have to be a new keyboard....with aftertouch :?

have you ever thought to approach other companies to paid demo work ?? you have a great voice for it, and a very relaxing manner. if not, perhaps narrating audiobooks or guided meditations :tu:

I'll setup my own tutorial universe one day, when I'm old and less interested in producing yet another sound library or compose another piece of music. I prefer face to face workshops actually which I frequently do.

And thanks for the flowers!

i still wait for steinberg for a response over a week now..... lol.
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

I was trying padshop yesterday, didn't like the interface much but the sound is good. But I came a cross aproblem: when dragging a sample to padshop pro itcrashes my DAW (Ableton Live) Does anyone have had this problem before?
dedication to flying

Hi there,

I'm a hughe fan of granular synthesis since the day I've discovered it. I'm familiar with almost every granular tool out there (Kyma, CrusherX, Audiomulch, Hourglass). I also tried the usual suspects like Alchemy, Absynth, Reaktor but I've never was really satisfied by a Granular VST Instrument. However. I consider to buy The Mangle or Granite by New Sonic Arts but can't decide since there is no demo for The Mangle. Padshop Pro is no option for me (dont' ask ;-) )

Is anybody out there which own booth (Mangle/Granite) and can compare them?
/* whitenoise */ /* abandon */ /* reincarnated */

resistent wrote:Hi there,

I'm a hughe fan of granular synthesis since the day I've discovered it. I'm familiar with almost every granular tool out there (Kyma, CrusherX, Audiomulch, Hourglass). I also tried the usual suspects like Alchemy, Absynth, Reaktor but I've never was really satisfied by a Granular VST Instrument. However. I consider to buy The Mangle or Granite by New Sonic Arts but can't decide since there is no demo for The Mangle. Padshop Pro is no option for me (dont' ask ;-) )

hard to say but i would get Granite DEFINITELY cause you got support, it works great, it has so much tweaking options. forget it, get Granite cause it's more unique in my opinion, not the best for drones/lush stuff i think there is the mangle better or alchemy any way. Granite is more to layer for me or FX etc.
bbut it's awesome.
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Granite sounds more raw than Mangle, no doubt. But it really has unique creative workflow that I’ve never found in any other granulators. You can modulate everything and record your own modulation sequences, it’s really cool and pushes creativity.

Mangle is purely granular synthesis with nothing else, no fancy filters nor effects. Its granular engine sounds really good though and the modulation possibilities are very good too.

I would go with Granite cause:
1-there’s a demo available
2-very alive with updates on a regular basis, the support is also good and consistent. Mangle’s biggest weak point is lack of support and communications from the dev imo. Also still in beta…
3-unique workflow, never seen elsewhere.

Neon Breath wrote:

Granite sounds more raw than Mangle, no doubt. But it really has unique creative workflow that I’ve never found in any other granulators. You can modulate everything and record your own modulation sequences, it’s really cool and pushes creativity.

Mangle is purely granular synthesis with nothing else, no fancy filters nor effects. Its granular engine sounds really good though and the modulation possibilities are very good too.

I would go with Granite cause:
1-there’s a demo available
2-very alive with updates on a regular basis, the support is also good and consistent. Mangle’s biggest weak point is lack of support and communications from the dev imo. Also still in beta…
3-unique workflow, never seen elsewhere.
better explained! :tu:

Isn't Granite still mono sample processing only? Haven't touched mine in ages.

Nope, Stereo now.

Sampleconstruct wrote:Isn't Granite still mono sample processing only? Haven't touched mine in ages.
Neon Bereath also educated me there too ;) i didnt know that and didnt upgrade lol

Return to “Instruments”