Best wavetable synth

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ingonator wrote:I agree about this, using the wavetables included with Largo and PPG Wave 3.V (this includes around 100 additional wavetables compared to the old 2.V version and also has sample import...) could take some time and could be used for tons of new patches.
Don't get me wrong. I am very pleased with what I already got in Largo (it's one of my favourite synths). But I guess it's inherent to human nature to always want more :hihi:
Fernando (FMR)

Serum is a massive powerful tool if you use it right :pray: I've spend so much time playing with it. And with every update the cpu usage went down a little bit.

While obviously i am very much biased concerning the Walodrf synths also the combination of PPG wavemapper 2 and PPG Wavegenerator could be extremely powerful. While the new Wavemaopper 2 could import WAV files as wavetables (or as time corrected samples aka TCS) it is also compatible with wavetables of Wavegenerator that includes a nice wavetable + waveform editor. The free Audio Term wavetable ditor has a compatible output format for both (Wavegenerator format).
If you have both you will maybe only use Wavegenerator for the editor as the synth engine in Wavemapper 2 is comparable or even superior.
Of course the sound Map feature in Wavemapper 2 could be very interesting for creating new interesting patches very fast as you could combine parts of different patches (e.g. osc setings, filter settings) to a new one...

At the release of Wavemapper 2 a bundle was available which does no longer seem to be available now.

Both the Waldorf synths and new PPG (Wolfgang Palm) synths are from two "classic" wavetable synth develeopers and have their own sound and features that in this combination is not found in other synths.

Anyway i also got a few other synths like e.g. DUNE 2 and Codex and like those for what they are while they are no real replacement for those other synths from Waldorf and PPG (Wolfgang Palm).

PS:
During and afte the Betatest for PPG Wavemapper 2 i had a discussion with wolfgang Palm about the possibility to implement a multimode filter and his philosphy seems to to do changes of the sound on oscillator level (by using wavetables) instead of doing such change with a filter. This is one reason why wavemapper 2 like older PPG wavetable synth "only" includes a 24dB LPF (but a nice one IMO...).
Wolfgang also has an incredible knowldege about create really useful wavetables with smoth transitions while scanning trough the whole table. He had created a huge amount of new wavetables while he participated in Betatesting for Waldorf PPG Wave 3.V (his new synths are fully independent from Waldorf!!) and those are only included in PPG wave 3.V and no other Waldorf synth.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

I demoed Wavemapper and Wavegenerator and I am really impressed by both. Generator interface it's not very nice, wavemapper is nicer and also seems more powerful and fun, it can import wavs (and I would get the architecture colection) so making waves iside the synth it's not a top priority.

Is it possible in wavemapper to make wave tables by importing different waves from wavs? (didn't have a chance to try this yet).

I am considering wavemapper (also very low CPU use) but now that I know Nave is on beta I might wait to try it ¿Is it near completition or still too far away?
dedication to flying

rod_zero wrote:I demoed Wavemapper and Wavegenerator and I am really impressed by both. Generator interface it's not very nice, wavemapper is nicer and also seems more powerful and fun, it can import wavs (and I would get the architecture colection) so making waves iside the synth it's not a top priority.

Is it possible in wavemapper to make wave tables by importing different waves from wavs? (didn't have a chance to try this yet).

I am considering wavemapper (also very low CPU use) but now that I know Nave is on beta I might wait to try it ¿Is it near completition or still too far away?
Wavemapper 2 is fully compatible to the wavetable format of Wavegenerator and it also seems to be possible to import wavegenerator files into it. Some free converted Wavegenerator patches are available for Wavemapper 2:
http://wolfgangpalm.com/wm2_soundbanks.html

There are also patches and wavetables based on the good old PPG Wavecomputer.

The fre Audio Term wavetable tool (only available for Windows) could also output the Wavegenerator format which is also compatible with Wavemapper 2. Audi oTerm could import single waveforms fro m WAV files and it also includes a waveform editor (additive/partials and/or free drawing)

I also posted a few free wavetables here:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 1&t=424070
The first is a huge collection of my own waveforms i had creted with e.g. FM8, Cameleon 5000 and the discontinued DNR Wave Designer plugin.
There is also a wavetable based on waveforms from my Wavestation EX hardware synth.
Those "big" waveables were created by combining multiple wavetables that were created in Audio Term (from single WAV files) in Wavegenerator (with the "Append" feature for wavetables).

Concerning Nave PC/Mac plugin there is no official release date yet and even if i would know it i would not be allowed to tell it at the moment. Maybe Tempo Rubato will announce it as Twitter as soon as it is close to be finished:
https://twitter.com/nlogmusic
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Thanks Ingo!

I hink I will keep testing for a while, Nave really looks interesting and from what I have seen it maybe the one I will go for. Going to test on my iPad first.

But at least now I know I want wavetable synth from the walfdrof/ppg family, discarded the rest. Aaaaghhh, so many options.
dedication to flying

Looking for wavetables?

As a side note, I really wish that Waldorf allowed custom wavetables in Largo. Hint. :)

Numanoid wrote:Looking for wavetables?
Do NOT let my wife see that table! (oh, that is message to self). :lol:

fmr wrote:
Trancit wrote:Another very cool option, which loads up to 1024 user defineable waveforms is MUX Modular from MuTools:
http://www.mutools.com/mux-product.html
http://www.mutools.com/info/docs/mux/multiformosc.html
Very easy on CPU with tons of possibilities!!!
I may be wrong, but I don't think the Oscillators scan through the wavetable :?
Oh yes they do! MUX Modular's multi-form oscillators can use from 2 to 1024 waveforms. These waveforms can be defined manually (eg a wavetable with eg 16 waveforms), they can be defined from any waveform file, or they can be drawn, or they can be generated using a bunch of included algorithms, or they can be extracted from a sample, which is a blend between wavetable and granular synthesis. And all these methods are combinable within a single wavetable. Check out the "MFO" sub-folder in the MUX preset library.

Hi folks,
I'm not a real synth head but use synths a whole lot (more tweaking and layering presets or doing the simpler stuff instead of programming very complex things on my own). I had a look at Serum and Spire and got kinda tempted, when I realised I already have Omnisphere & Trilian (always using Trilian content inside Omnisphere).

Do you see the Omnisphere/Trilian combo lacking anything compared to the other synths mentioned (also the ones mentioned in other posts)?

I always liked Omnisphere/Trilian for the workflow, clean interface and variety in sound (from deep, warm basses to piercing leads to warm, evolving pads). Seems like custom wavetables will also be available in v2, which is around the corner...

I know I should judge by my ears (blablabla...) but it's a lot more time consuming task to get deep into programming 3 or more WT synths for comparing than for example 3 saturation plug-ins. Just curious what you have to say.

Thanks,
Tim

I read through the replies, and if I missed it, forgive me, but I don't think Cakewalk Rapture has been
mentioned. I use it in almost every piece of music I create and the possibilities are limitless imho.

fmr wrote:BTW - Zebra can be considered a wavetable synth too. Limited to 16 waves, but it does wavetable scanning.
Yeah, I would add Zebra to the list. Not only can you create your own wavetables but you also have the OscFX which can be modulated. It's powerful.

I reject the notion that there is a "best" wavetable synth. They are all great in their own unique way. I have a bunch of them!
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Z3ta+ is still my favorite wavetable synth. oldie, but goodie!
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Return to “Instruments”