Camel Audio ceasing sales? [Update: CA acquired by Apple]

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic

ChamomileShark wrote:
SyntheticAurality wrote:Alchemy still works for me, used 2 instances on a track this weekend.

I worry that someday, I'll get online, Apple will reach out, and the next time I load Alchemy it'll tell me to go buy a Mac and delete itself! :scared: :cry: :cry: :help:
Or replace all your samples with U2 songs.
PPPPUUUUUUUUUUUUKKKKKKKKKKKEEEEEEEEEEEE
Bandcamp: https://suitcaseoflizards.bandcamp.com/
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4kuy ... Dx4ziLn3ng
Now a Relay Radio DJ! http:/www.relay-radio.com

egbert wrote:
SyntheticAurality wrote:Alchemy still works for me, used 2 instances on a track this weekend.

I worry that someday, I'll get online, Apple will reach out, and the next time I load Alchemy it'll tell me to go buy a Mac and delete itself! :scared: :cry: :cry: :help:
Stop giving those evil f#$%ers ideas!
Sorry... :dog: :scared: :oops: :oops:
Bandcamp: https://suitcaseoflizards.bandcamp.com/
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4kuy ... Dx4ziLn3ng
Now a Relay Radio DJ! http:/www.relay-radio.com

A question to the sound designers who provided third party content for Alchemy (who for the most part have been pretty quiet in this thread) if any if them happens to see this.... Did you sign away the rights to your sample content or did you retain rights so the .sfz files could be legally used in other plugins ?
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

jlanthier wrote:Chris Randall is definitely an afficionado of the joke tweet but you need to scroll down and read his other comments, they are pretty serious and matter-of-fact. Definitely can't write this off as an obvious joke.
What are you reading that the rest of us apparently can't see on the feed? All I see is a joke and the same suspects as at KVR saying it's Apple. No actual information apart from an 8-figure deal (with an unnamed entity). What are we missing?

Teksonik wrote:A question to the sound designers who provided third party content for Alchemy (who for the most part have been pretty quiet in this thread) if any if them happens to see this.... Did you sign away the rights to your sample content or did you retain rights so the .sfz files could be legally used in other plugins ?

:hyper: Shake Shake?

Rajah wrote: :hyper: Shake Shake?
I have no idea what that means......... :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

sjm wrote:
jlanthier wrote:Chris Randall is definitely an afficionado of the joke tweet but you need to scroll down and read his other comments, they are pretty serious and matter-of-fact. Definitely can't write this off as an obvious joke.
What are you reading that the rest of us apparently can't see on the feed? All I see is a joke and the same suspects as at KVR saying it's Apple. No actual information apart from an 8-figure deal (with an unnamed entity). What are we missing?
Later on he also mentions Redmatica and ESX24.

....not exactly in a knee-slapper kind of way.

Although looking at it now it looks like his tweet that said something like "Think Redmatica" is now missing from the page. Deleted? Is there anybody else who remembers seeing that?? I remember it pretty clearly, but it really doesn't seem to be there anymore...

Anyway, the point is that something dramatic HAS happened. It's not paranoia. The maker of a fairly major synth has SUDDENLY shuttered his entire business without warning, stating there will be no maintenance updates, and has refused to say a word to the hundreds, or perhaps thousands of people who have invested hundreds of dollars in CA licenses. And this is a developer KNOWN for his accessibility and community involvement.

Although the hundreds of pages in this thread have often been nutty, filled with wild speculation, and many pictures of Camels, cats, and even LeBron... there have been enough nuggets of fact and wisdom gathered here from people who follow the industry closely enough that an Apple buyout has emerged as a strong possibility and not some flaky theory for people who wear foil hats. That's all I'm saying... it's certainly a strong possibility.

The following post was made in the CA company forum on Jan 6....one day before the announcement of closing down.
Oliver [Camel Audio]
@pentool - apologies for the delayed response, I replied to you via support earlier, but thought I'd best put something here too.
This doesn't sound like an issue with the demo etc. but more an issue with Live's clip properties being set with a bank change number?
Does the same thing happen if you try in a fresh, empty project with a freshly created MIDI file?
You could send the existing Live project file into us if you like and we'll see if we can recreate the problem in Live and work out what's happening.

Thanks,
Oliver
Does that sound like a company that's planning on closing down....the next day ? :?

Or a response from a support person who knows that's his last day at work ?
Last edited by Teksonik on Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jlanthier wrote:Anyway, the point is that something dramatic HAS happened. It's not paranoia. The maker of a fairly major synth has SUDDENLY shuttered his entire business without warning, stating there will be no maintenance updates, and has refused to say a word to the hundreds, or perhaps thousands of people who have invested hundreds of dollars in CA licenses. And this is a developer KNOWN for his accessibility and community involvement.
Yes. In *exactly* the same way as Redmatica.

With the exception of giving users a longer time to redownload their software - learnt from Redmatica, which gave users, like, two weeks otherwise you were out of luck...
jlanthier wrote:Although the hundreds of pages in this thread have often been nutty, filled with wild speculation, and many pictures of Camels, cats, and even LeBron... there have been enough nuggets of fact and wisdom gathered here from people who follow the industry closely enough that an Apple buyout has emerged as a strong possibility and not some flaky theory for people who wear foil hats. That's all I'm saying... it's certainly a strong possibility.
Indeed.

Teksonik wrote:The following post was made in the CA company forum on Jan 6....one day before the announcement of closing down.
Oliver [Camel Audio]
@pentool - apologies for the delayed response, I replied to you via support earlier, but thought I'd best put something here too.
This doesn't sound like an issue with the demo etc. but more an issue with Live's clip properties being set with a bank change number?
Does the same thing happen if you try in a fresh, empty project with a freshly created MIDI file?
You could send the existing Live project file into us if you like and we'll see if we can recreate the problem in Live and work out what's happening.

Thanks,
Oliver
Does that sound like a company that's planning on closing down....the next day ? :?

indeed, weird as possible...

Teksonik wrote:The following post was made in the CA company forum on Jan 6....one day before the announcement of closing down.
Oliver [Camel Audio]

Thanks,
Oliver

They're providing support until July 7th....

Daags wrote:They're providing support until July 7th....
Really ? Where ? Have you had any technical support from them since Jan 7th ?

They are allowing people to download their purchased products until July 7th. Some people have been having trouble just getting a response to license transfer requests.........

Anyway the post I quoted earlier and ZenPunkHippy with over 10,000 posts just disappearing last November...........the whole story is bizarre. :?

Daags wrote: They're providing support until July 7th....
So therefore you don't think it's weird that the CA employee would think it would "be best to put something here" on the forum the day before the entire forum got locked??? C'maaaan...

jlanthier wrote:
Daags wrote: They're providing support until July 7th....
So therefore you don't think it's weird that the CA employee would think it would "be best to put something here" on the forum the day before the entire forum got locked??? C'maaaan...
How big of a role did Oliver have at Camel Audio? It could have just been Ben in on the discussion with Apple for all we know.
SW: Cubase 9.5 | Komplete 11 | Omnisphere 2 | Perfect Storm 2.5 | Soundtoys 5
HW: Steinberg UR28M | Focal Alpha 50 | Fender Jazz Bass | Alesis VI25

Return to “Instruments”