Serum vs. Nave?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Nave Serum

MorpherX wrote:Nave has no chance against Serum, neither featurewhise nore soundwhise, it's even is not worth to mention it, and beside this Nave is dongle-ware.
I would advise not to buy Nave but serum, if someone should decide about the two.
Congrats on the sh*ttiest advice award of 2015.

The big question is: Does it even matter if Nave "replaces" Serum or not?

I got lots of wavetable synths (but not Serum while i tested the demo several times...) and all of them have their own basic sound character and feature sets.
Even along the Waldorf plugins like e.g. Nave, Largo and PPG Wave 3.V none of them could fully replace the others.

So actually i could ask the other way around: Does Serum replace Nave? My answer would be: NO.
Last edited by Ingonator on Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

masterhiggins wrote:
MorpherX wrote:Nave has no chance against Serum, neither featurewhise nore soundwhise, it's even is not worth to mention it, and beside this Nave is dongle-ware.
I would advise not to buy Nave but serum, if someone should decide about the two.
Congrats on the sh*ttiest advice award of 2015.
Congrats on a solid position in top ten meanest posts of 2015.
Evovled into noctucat...
http://www.noctucat.com/

In what way was that mean? It wasn't a personal attack. It was a variation on the "talking out of his *ss" statement posted just before mine. I'd say his statement was much meaner to Waldorf when he indicated that it wasn't even worth mentioning. Whatever. I still say it was remarkably polite.

Polite would be: "I disagree with you for this and this and this reason. ...and hey, may be don't attack Waldorf next time." Btw you're not actually first person on KVR with "sh*ttiest award post" joke, so it wan't too funny either.
Evovled into noctucat...

FarleyCZ wrote:Polite would be: "I disagree with you for this and this and this reason. ...and hey, may be don't attack Waldorf next time." Btw you're not actually first person on KVR with "sh*ttiest award post" joke, so it wan't too funny either.
Sensitive much? It wasn't meant as a joke. If was sarcasm. There's a huge difference. Besides, I haven't seen that mentioned before so I guess I don't frequent the forums enough. I would never consider that funny either, though. When one tries too hard to be funny it usually fails. See the Alchemy thread for about 220 pages of examples.

..in which somebody tried exactly this joke on me. :D Naah, let's leave it. It's not point of this topic anyway. :)
Evovled into noctucat...

Ingonator wrote:The big question is: Does it even matter if Nave "replaces" Serum or not?
It matters for the wallet :wink:

Edit:

Moving on :D :party:
Last edited by Phorous on Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SW: Cubase 9.5 | Komplete 11 | Omnisphere 2 | Perfect Storm 2.5 | Soundtoys 5
HW: Steinberg UR28M | Focal Alpha 50 | Fender Jazz Bass | Alesis VI25

I got what he meant though. Let's just move on folks. Love all around.

Serum is nice but its CPU use is not justified for me. I have other CPU hog (DIVA) that really has no replacement and it's hard to use two cpu intensive synths.

Looking forward to try Nave, I will probably get the VST if its great, in the meanwhile I will get the iPad version soon to start testing.
dedication to flying

I'm buying Serum ASAP just for serial# protection scheme and for actually listening to customer's feedback.
To paraphrase Ingonator:
Does Nave replace Serum? My answer would be: NO.

Also, personally, I love that Steve Duda's attitude. Serum is synth for people who know stuff about synthesis. He tries to stay away from that "Hey, there's been huge amount of paranormal development and magic happening in our lab and here's the result! Buy it, becouse we tell you it's great in this ad/promo/demo." I get this feeling from a lot of companies. Brightest example is Waves. Waldorf gets me the same impression. They don't tell you why or how. They tell you it has the signature Waldorf sound and it's of course absolutely amazing. Look at how Steve advertise Serum. 12 tutorials exploring and explaining everything on inside and outside of that synth. Even if Nave shows some unexpected feature or two that Serum possibly doesn't have, I'd still rather buy stuff from such a open developer, in my humble opinion.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rf4Dj3FSCjc
Evovled into noctucat...

FarleyCZ wrote:Also, personally, I love that Steve Duda's attitude. Serum is synth for people who know stuff about synthesis. He tries to stay away from that "Hey, there's been huge amount of paranormal development and magic happening in our lab and here's the result! Buy it, becouse we tell you it's great in this ad/promo/demo." I get this feeling from a lot of companies. Brightest example is Waves. Waldorf gets me the same impression. They don't tell you why or how. They tell you it has the signature Waldorf sound and it's of course absolutely amazing. ....
If flashy advertising didn't sell more products, no one would do it. If you're not sensitive to it, then just ignore it. Camel Audio were "great guys" too... and look what happened to them.
Waldorf makes great products (I love my iPad Nave!), and have good support. I don't care about "getting the impression" that they could be my best friends. But hey, if that's important to you... :)

I won't be getting either. Maybe one day, when I have some money to "waste"... Until then, I'm fine with having Komplexer, Harmor, iNave, PPG WaveGenerator/mapper on iPad, and a Microwave XT. :phones:

Return to “Instruments”