I just played the Korg M1 again

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So I have the Korg M1 VST with all the cards. Just spent a couple of hours with it again this evening and remembering what a classic it is. It's got it all. I was thinking of getting HALion Sonic 2, but I'll pass for now. Years after its release, the M1 takes some beating. God know how many of them are out there.

Fantastic. :D

Well if you got HS2 you could have an M1 and a Motif together!

thejonsolo wrote:Well if you got HS2 you could have an M1 and a Motif together!
In theory, yes. In reality, close, but not really.
Just got HALion 5 in hopes to replace one of my H/W rack Motif's (ES). And I probably will let go of the ES because HALion covers enough of it. But mostly because I still have the Motif XS to give me what I'm not finding exact in HALion.

There is a good chance I might just sell the ES to get another XS though.

M1 is a work horse I consider NFR and married to for life.
And every time I open it I think pretty much the same thing the OP stated.

But if you're going with HALion, step yourself up from Sonic and go for 5.
BTW, there's an eBay listing where you can pick up 4 with a free and automatic update to 5 from Steinberg. (I think it was like 229.00?)

I just bought the Korg Legacy and yah it's a oldie but a goodie.

I was just thinking how awesome the M1 is for a sound source in sound design. I've also been really enjoying building patches in the other synthesizers too. :tu:
:borg:

yeah love my M1 softy,even just for the house piano preset it is worth buying,i like the choirs on it to,reminds me of early belgium techno in which THAT preset was used

great synth vort3x
live 11 / Arturia collection / many Softube plug ins / thats it

The M1 Legacy is surprisingly close to the original.
Korg did an excellent job.

Firebird wrote:The M1 Legacy is surprisingly close to the original.
Korg did an excellent job.
I personally think its better than the original.
And plays well with others in the mix without much fuss.

The M1 is really good, and yes they did a very good job on both the M1 and the Wavestation. The displays on both my T2 and my WS are getting pretty dim and it's nearly impossible to find a repair center around here, so I'm very glad to have these in the Legacy Collection. Both of the originals are classics. The Legacy are a complete steal at what they are asking for them, and I agree that they sound even better than the originals. The originals did not, for example, have resonant filters, and all of the included cards were kind of expensive!

I recently fell back into using my KLC collection again too. Yikes there are some excellent patches there! Love em.

If you use Apple Logic - the M1 and Wavestation presets have been indexed, so they show up in Logics browser. It's a timesaver if you use Logic. These work in Logic 9 and X.

M1 presets indexed by TerryReis here: http://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/viewt ... ts#p459407

Wavestation presets indexed by me here: http://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/viewt ... 55#p504555

Anyway- these don't give you any more presets, and only work if you're using Logic Pro, but if you use Logic... they can help find patches (among the hundreds)..

I'm curious now and was thinking that I haven't tried out drum sounds in M1 much. But it's probably got some great iconic samples.

Holy poop! This is the M1?! I've really neglected the VST version I picked up a while back. Hopefully it forgives me.

http://youtu.be/4HhS8VjfDw4

the KLC M1 and WS still get alot of use from me for strings, pads, organs, keys and acustic bass.
i like the M1 so much for all around sounds that i decided on the T2 as my "Super M1" master controller.
its hard to beat the original and best 80's digital synths... M1, D50, DX7
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

I use the M1, Wavestation, MonoPoly, and MS-20 a lot. They're my most used synths, along with Massive and XILS 3.2 LE (someday I'll get the full version).

I also hadn't used the drums in the M1 very much. Today I decided to give them a shot and the first preset I tried worked like a charm.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us. - Emerson

Yeah, sometimes I get thinking that 80s artists were designing their own electronic drums (and some were) but many were just triggering a keyboard's preset drum samples. I want to say the Emax was popular for rap and early industrial drums.

Not just Emax, but Emu stuff in general, I think. I would say the Proteus modules, for example, were also a popular source. I know of some people who use(d) Proteus World, etc.

Return to “Instruments”