Question about the new payment systems-subscription DAW

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,
The last several software companies are adopting this system of subscription "installment", but I did not understand how it works. There is a monthly fee such as € 20 per month. But this means that you can only use the DAW for a month? And then the software does not work anymore? Or does it work differently? Can anyone explain this system better? Thank You

Different vendors have different options.
Some have options both buying and renting, others just one of those.

The two recently adopted this are Avid and Cakewalk(and many mention Adobe as well).

Don't mean to be blunt - but maybe look at FAQ for the product you are interested in - or specify a specific product. It's a rather wide question explaining every product out there.

depends. with Cakewalk, after 12 months you effectively own the license. so with Cakewalk it isn't so much a subscription as it is a buy-now-pay-later thing spread out to 12 month.

with Slate, i believe it is either you pay subscription and have everything as long as you're paying, or you pay everything outright, own it and can use it whenever you like. i.e. there's no "you keep it after X months on subscription" as with Sonar.

in both of these, the software will revert back to demo version once you stop paying*.

* with Cakewalk, only if you were subscribed for less that 12 months. if more, you get to keep everything you got until the point when you stopped paying.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

The only downside I can see to the new Cakewalk plan is it appears, to be current, the software will phone home to confirm the subscription, or membership as they call it.

I'm not sure how else the software will know you are paid up to date.

Bummer, cause a lot of people do not have, nor want, their DAW computer online.

Aside from that, Cakewalk's plan could be good for a lot of users, especially those new to the scene without a lot of money to chunk down all at one time.

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

Burillo wrote:depends. with Cakewalk, after 12 months you effectively own the license. so with Cakewalk it isn't so much a subscription as it is a buy-now-pay-later thing spread out to 12 month.

with Slate, i believe it is either you pay subscription and have everything as long as you're paying, or you pay everything outright, own it and can use it whenever you like. i.e. there's no "you keep it after X months on subscription" as with Sonar.

in both of these, the software will revert back to demo version once you stop paying*.

* with Cakewalk, only if you were subscribed for less that 12 months. if more, you get to keep everything you got until the point when you stopped paying.
Actually, after a year of subscribing to slate, you get a $200 credit to purchase a perpetual license of your choice.

So in that regard, you do get to keep something.

Well.. I thought the same, but I have to be online, so now and then; to upgrade Windows itself. Unavoidable. I also can't see how to avoid the net considered to registration. I can live with that though :)

I don't mind subscription based services as long as they have good support and update/fix their product regularly.

I do also appreciate the option to buy once and use for a long time though, I would prefer to have a choice in the matter.
SW: Cubase 9.5 | Komplete 11 | Omnisphere 2 | Perfect Storm 2.5 | Soundtoys 5
HW: Steinberg UR28M | Focal Alpha 50 | Fender Jazz Bass | Alesis VI25

Ok Thank

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”