Positive experience for MuLab in education

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

(cross-posting as I guess not all of you are in the MuLab forum)

Hi,

I teach programming and more at a Swedish university. For an assignment on developing computer games (including graphics and music) I was looking last year for a sequencer that should be freeware and possible to run without installation. I got a tip about MuLab and boy, this was good advice!

MuLab is great in the two aspects above (free for up to four tracks plus no install required, meaning that we can run the software on our networked computers without bothering the IT department) plus it's really, really uncluttered, thus extrermely easy to work with. In addition, it's cool to show the onboard synth MUX, as my courses are in OO programming so showing a modular synth is nice. I also like to show things that are not cybercommercial such as Cubase.

I really think this should be promoted better. If I could ask for one thing, it would be a light version (say 8 tracks plus limited MUX) for 30 bucks or so, as that would better suit our students and department fees. I can't really tell our department to purchase a sequencer for 69 euros, but half might be doable.

Keep up the good work!

SparkySpark
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

Cool stuff

According to the Mulab webshop, 69 Euros gives you 6 users key. This works out to 11,5 Euors per student. Not doable?

Host a fund raiser.

Or ask the community for assistance.

Seriously, many businesses will support your cause if you just ask.

Been there, done it.

I don't mean to come off as arrogant or unsympathetic cause that is just not the case. But often times we get wrapped up in the "I don't have the money" syndrome and we overlook that which may be obvious. Been there, done that too ;)

I know what it's like fighting for a spot on the budget. You have to find ways around it.

Fund raising is most often the best way around the bureaucrats.

HTH

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

Hi, thanks!

Yes, I'm sure we can work something out, I just mean that the educational sector can be a great niche for MuLab, providing the price vs feature structure is right. I used to be in the music software business myself, and the school market is probably the most profitable of all for a developer (fore one, they pay for their licences :) ).

Just wanted to let others in my situation to know about MuLab and how well it works in an educational environment.

Thanks again for your suggestions!

/Sp-Sp
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

Mulab sounds (and looks) great to me but if you're considering cost, wouldn't it make more sense to use a free product?

Studio One Free sounds like a good choice for that role. It has enough functionality to make music and I think the installer is pretty non-invasive and/or can run from a flash drive, and there is no license restriction, and you'll have a lot more than 4 tracks.

But no Mux thing.

There's also ACID Express. http://www.acidplanet.com/downloads/xpress/
Last edited by LawrenceF on Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unfortunately though, S1F uses an installer (I believe) which defeats Sp-Sp's need to avoid IT at the school.

That is a shame since S1F would be a good choice, indeed.

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:

dsan@mail.com wrote:Unfortunately though, S1F uses an installer (I believe) which defeats Sp-Sp's need to avoid IT at the school.
dsan
That's the thing though, I don't think you actually have to install it. I think you can just put it on (install it to, for the image) a flash key or drive and just run it, and pass that around so anyone can run it.

I'd have to create a new user account to test that theory though.

Really? Wow, that will be ideal for SparkySpark then.

Hope he comes back to see your post Lawrence!

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:

Yep. Just did it. Here are the steps...

1. Install Studio One on any clean system just to unpack the installer.
2. Copy the Studio One 2 folder from Program Files.

You can copy and paste that folder anywhere and just run the app executable. On first launch it just throws up a dialog asking to activate it as paid or Free. Activate as Free and go.

Anyway, maybe test doing that on a clean system where S1 has never been installed to be sure, copying the program files folder from an installed system and just running it on the other system to see what happens.

Hmmm.... What says the license about the legality of that?

I don't disagree... I just ask. In my opinion it is a point to watch very closely to not make any mistake...

And it is a point very important, especially in the education work.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

From the Studio One license:
5.4 For Licensed Software from the STUDIO ONE FREE product line:

(a) Licensee may install and use the Licensed Software on as many computers as desired. Users are encouraged to copy and share STUDIO ONE FREE. You are permitted to install and use the Licensed Software on different computers. You are permitted to make back-up copies of the Licensed Software for archival purposes. All STUDIO ONE FREE Users are subject to the Terms of this EULA. PreSonus does not offer Support Services for STUDIO ONE FREE.

swatwork wrote:From the Studio One license:
5.4 For Licensed Software from the STUDIO ONE FREE product line:

(a) Licensee may install and use the Licensed Software on as many computers as desired. Users are encouraged to copy and share STUDIO ONE FREE. You are permitted to install and use the Licensed Software on different computers. You are permitted to make back-up copies of the Licensed Software for archival purposes. All STUDIO ONE FREE Users are subject to the Terms of this EULA. PreSonus does not offer Support Services for STUDIO ONE FREE.
That's an excellent kind of license!
:tu:
it is not frequent to see commercial developers accept the copy of their products (even in free versions) on as many computers as desired. Not equal to zero either, of course... but not frequent. Very neat clause.
:tu:
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.

The same applies to MuLab Free:
You're allowed to install and use MuLab Free on any computer on earth.

For what its worth I say go with Mulab.
1...you get Mux.
2...you wanted something slightly off the radar.
3...you get Mux
4...Give the smaller developer more exposure
5... did I mention Mux

Of course I'm not biased at all
Beauty is only skin deep,
Ugliness, however, goes right the way through

bibz1st wrote:For what its worth I say go with Mulab.
1...you get Mux.
2...you wanted something slightly off the radar.
3...you get Mux
4...Give the smaller developer more exposure
5... did I mention Mux

Of course I'm not biased at all
Oh!... You forgot to mention Mux!

Without being sectarian I would say "I have only one god and His name is Mulab".

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”