Omnisphere 2 is here! (yes, it's really here!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Omnisphere 1 Omnisphere 2

Ed A. wrote:Omnisphere 2 sounds very good, but I'm reluctant to buy it because:

1.) I just got burned buying Alchemy less than a year ago. Camel Audio was a small company that just decided to call it quits for no clear reason. Since Spectrasonics is also a small developer with a similar expensive software product, I don't want to have the same thing happen with Omnisphere 2. Just a hunch I have about the company.
It sucks about Camel disappearing, but how exactly did you get burned? You can still use Alchemy indefinitely. I'm not trying to be a smart a$$, but when Camel sold you Alchemy they didn't guarantee they would stay in business forever. You got a great piece of software to use for the rest of your life. Same goes with Spectrasonics if you buy Omnisphere 2. Heck, ANY software developer that you have bought from, or will buy from can go out of business. This can happen to BOTH small or large developers. You can't live fearing these things and should always buy software for what it offers at the time of purchase, knowing that you may indeed never receive any updates once you buy it. Luckily a situation like Camel Audio's doesn't happen very often. :)

You could say Spectrasonics has been around for quite a while and at this point it is very unlikely Eric and Co would allow them to be bought out or shut down. I think Spectrasonics is pretty much Eric's endgame in the music business you could say and we are only seeing good signs so far.... There is no reason to be worried.

I would think with the huge amount of Omni users out there alone that they are already well off.
SW: Cubase 9.5 | Komplete 11 | Omnisphere 2 | Perfect Storm 2.5 | Soundtoys 5
HW: Steinberg UR28M | Focal Alpha 50 | Fender Jazz Bass | Alesis VI25

I'm of 2 minds about this, really....
quantum7 wrote: It sucks about Camel disappearing, but how exactly did you get burned? You can still use Alchemy indefinitely.
I feel like it's definitely a bit of a burn to me and to a LOT of people to suddenly end all support and put a full-blown stop to any hope of maintenance updates in the future. Their licenses are expensive.
quantum7 wrote:You can't live fearing these things
For sure. Not buying Omnisphere (another expensive license) would be a ridiculous reaction. But I also EXPECT that Spectrasonics will continue to maintain it for a long time. Which is only fair.

Cool! I was planning to finally upgrade from Atmosphere to Omni now I can get 2. I wonder what the upgrade pricing will be?

Tempest wrote:Cool! I was planning to finally upgrade from Atmosphere to Omni now I can get 2. I wonder what the upgrade pricing will be?
http://v2.spectrasonics.net/sales/techs ... sphere.php

Well it looks like the Atmosphere to Omnisphere was $249 (and $149 for VIP customers...which now for Omnisphere V1 to V2 is $199 for VIP customers, meh...)

So, $249 to go from Atmosphere to Omnisphere, PLUS $249 to go from Omnisphere to Omnisphere 2 = $500. I think you're better off buying Omnisphere 2 brand new, unless they offer a Atmopshere to Omnisphere upgrade path.

Thanks for checking for me. Damn it looks like I am going to be stuck buying the whole thing. That sucks. :(

The price for this thing is all wrong. I am just curious, who is Omnisphere for? What do you all use it for, and why do you use it over something else?
A heaping dose of outrageously goofy synth tracks, scores and chiptunes.

https://raddlandstudios.com
https://youtube.com/NorrinRadd22

quantum7 wrote:

1.) I just got burned buying Alchemy less than a year ago. Camel Audio was a small company that just decided to call it quits for no clear reason. Since Spectrasonics is also a small developer with a similar expensive software product, I don't want to have the same thing happen with Omnisphere 2. Just a hunch I have about the company.
It sucks about Camel disappearing, but how exactly did you get burned? You can still use Alchemy indefinitely. I'm not trying to be a smart a$$, but when Camel sold you Alchemy they didn't guarantee they would stay in business forever. You got a great piece of software to use for the rest of your life. [...]
Untill the day your new OS does not support it any more. Well, then of course you could stay on your Win7 etc. for the rest of your life. :wink:

Norrin_Radd wrote:What do you all use it for, and why do you use it over something else?
I use it for retro synths, modern synths, cinematic, soundscapes, pop, some acoustic, psychoacoustic.

It has the broadest range of any synth I know, and it's browser is in another league from anything else (and about to get amped up further). It's incredibly quick to work with, quick to find sounds, quick to edit. With v2 it'll likely be the synth I use 95% of the time for all those reasons. Currently it's a mere 80% - EDM is the biggest weak spot right now where I'm likely to go elsewhere, but that's about to change I think.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

noiseboyuk wrote:
Norrin_Radd wrote:What do you all use it for, and why do you use it over something else?
I use it for retro synths, modern synths, cinematic, soundscapes, pop, some acoustic, psychoacoustic.

It has the broadest range of any synth I know, and it's browser is in another league from anything else (and about to get amped up further). It's incredibly quick to work with, quick to find sounds, quick to edit. With v2 it'll likely be the synth I use 95% of the time for all those reasons. Currently it's a mere 80% - EDM is the biggest weak spot right now where I'm likely to go elsewhere, but that's about to change I think.
i think for EDM people wont use omnisphere anyways much, cause people who buy a vst they get a cheaper one, and let's be direct, many edm kids etc. get cracked synths..... so omnisphere isnt for those, i guess the EDM part will be used for people who do more advertisementmusic and mix some edm in it etc.
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Omnisphere was my first synth I was looking for a trancy synth, Korg Radias was my first choice but the Korg forums recommended I use plugins instead. I used u-he Zebra demo when I got my midi controller. Caught eye of this video of Jordan Rudess and was sold. Carried on saving for Zebra as I wanted more synth features and Zebra's tone.
I use a load of plugins together now no best one out there. They all compliment each other and fill each others gaps.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zF8SYLjl07g
Last edited by Kaboom75 on Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Caine123 wrote:i think for EDM people wont use omnisphere anyways much, cause people who buy a vst they get a cheaper one, and let's be direct, many edm kids etc. get cracked synths..... so omnisphere isnt for those, i guess the EDM part will be used for people who do more advertisementmusic and mix some edm in it etc.
If all you do is EDM, then there might well be more attractive (certainly cheaper) options. One thing that's really obvious from wading through endless KVR threads though is that everyone has a very different view on what they're looking for from a synth, and much of that is determined by the genre(s) you work in. The narrower your musical focus, the less appealing Omnisphere will be.

As I've pointed out a few times now, the name is Omnisphere. It's primarily attractive to people who need to be diverse in what they do, and doubly so for anyone who either needs or wants to work quickly. It's more or less mandatory therefore for anyone working in film / TV / media / games, all working to deadlines and all needing diversity as well as depth. As for everyone else the same rules apply though - if you find yourself ticking all or nearly all boxes that say "ease of use", "broad", "deep", "diverse" and "speed", then its similarly compelling. If you're purely into one subgenre of trance or trap and have all the time in the world to create brand new sounds, not so much.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

+1

I like al sorts of music really like music in movies so Omnisphere ticks a lot of boxes for me.
For my EDM ish stuff I don't use Omnisphere or Trilian now I prefair no samples at all. Its all u-he + Soundtoys all my own presets for EDM. I'm starting to go more like Daft Punk now more my own style I use u-he + Soundtoys combined with Omni, Trilian and many other sample instruments. Omni + Trilian has real great easy to play articulated acoustic guitars and bass instruments, classic strings that can go with any genre. I really hoped Omni 2 would of got some wind instruments. Native instruments seem to be adding a lot of movie composing instruments now.

Smoked lap steel is one of my favorite Omni patches. Sounds convincing to me.
http://soundcloud.com/rustman777/deject ... v2/s-MHao5
In rotation here: Hammock- Stranded Under Endless Sky

quantum7 wrote:

It sucks about Camel disappearing, but how exactly did you get burned? You can still use Alchemy indefinitely. I'm not trying to be a smart a$$, but when Camel sold you Alchemy they didn't guarantee they would stay in business forever. You got a great piece of software to use for the rest of your life.
Or at least until I buy a future Mac or upgrade OSX to 10.10.2.
How long have you been doing this software thing? :D

That, and the fact that my new software won't have any support come July. Not only can't I get any operational support, there won't be any maintenance updates and I won't be able to contact anyone at the company to arrange a license transfer if I want to sell the software to someone else. So to reiterate, I got burned.

As I also mentioned, the company just ceased business with no explanation why, which is an amateurish way to do business.

Return to “Instruments”