Omnisphere 2 is here! (yes, it's really here!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Omnisphere 1 Omnisphere 2

Sampleconstruct wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:
Voice303 wrote:While that might not suffice for the super experienced sound designer interested in more, its good enough for me now and in the future provided it SOUNDS good.
I was not dissing any missing features in Omni 2, just posting my thoughts about it only in respect to my own work, plans and expectations. And sure, what sounds good is relevant, but that's not the point, developing large and complex libraries also containing realistic, multisampled instruments is just not possible in Omni2, no matter how much you randomize your 8 samples in 8 patches.

I lived omniless for years and will probably continue doing so.

I'm kind of curious. What is it you're looking for and is there a synth out there that does it? If so, I'd love you to point me to it.
Well, there used to be a synth/hybrid instrument that did most of what I am looking for in combining acoustic and electronic sources within one patch, after some years it's granular engine and spectral resynthesis mode showed it's age and the lack of a real sample editor and crossfade-looping got on my nerves, so I switched to hybrid instruments like MachFive 3 and HALion 5 to develop my bigger sample-based libraries. But they don't resynthesize which I find a fascinating source for designing sounds, and they're not very popular amongst electronic musicians around the world. So Omni 2 could have opened new doors for me in this respect, but it won't as it seems.
So in other words, there is nothing out there currently that does what you're looking for, with MachFive and Halion coming close.

Exactly, very close but no additive or spectral resynthesis.

Sampleconstruct wrote:Exactly, very close but no additive or spectral resynthesis.
So then maybe you think that might be telling you something?

Either

1) It's something that's either too costly or difficult to implement.

Or

2) It's not something that a lot of people want and thus would not be profitable to the company.

Because I gotta think after all these years, and as far as we have come technology wise, if this synth isn't out there yet, there has got to be a pretty good darn reason why and thus maybe your expectations are less than realistic.

It's not something that a lot of people want
No one wanted iPhone until it came out. To make a profit, you need to be the first with the product.

The reality is, synths are growing better and more complex, also new algorithms are designed or become more realistic concerning CPU demand. Serum is one prominent example, but there are many more.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

....It's not something that a lot of people want and thus would not be profitable to the company....

Lot's of people want a superb 88 keys hammer graded board with controller functions, since years. None of the usual suspects deliver. You get a superb 88 keys with no controller functions, not even pitch or modwheel, or a horrific 88 keys with superb controller functions, or a medium 88 keys with no after touch, or a superb 88 keys with some controller function but priced very high because it comes as a stage piano and so on....

Companies do not act rational per se and they operate on best guesstimates.

Alchemy had the potential and with 2.0 on the horizon.... ah well, don't get me started.

Omnisphere is a synth first and foremost, well, it is THE synth period. I too was hoping Omni would open the door to Simon and the likes, but sadly it does not.
Best wishes
OVS

Did not read the whole thread but the previous page
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... &start=270
and up to here are in my opinion very informative.

I am very interested in the sample import od Omni 2 and how effective it is in making music. I was comparing it all with Absynth and now I am again considering Mach Five and Halion. This is good in a sense as I am having a hard time understanding Kontakt. I am on a mission to reduce the DAW's and VST and VSTi's I am using and focus and learn fewer well. This discussion may in the end help me make some decisions which to try.

DJ Warmonger wrote:
It's not something that a lot of people want
No one wanted iPhone until it came out. To make a profit, you need to be the first with the product.

The reality is, synths are growing better and more complex, also new algorithms are designed or become more realistic concerning CPU demand. Serum is one prominent example, but there are many more.
and it's not like there has been no other synth with the additive and spectral re-synthesis :shrug:

wagtunes wrote:
1) It's something that's either too costly or difficult to implement.
This - I asked several devs around the world, and although some of them were very fond of the resynthesis-idea they all said, that resynthesis is the hardest thing to code and good algos are not lying around on the street or can be bought cheap on eBay. Harmor got it right it seems (haven't tested the Mac Alpha yet), Metasynth is fantastic at it, Alchemy wasn't bad at it (although the spectral resynthesis was barely usable due to the clunky editor), but the additive resynthesis was happening and allowed for resynthesizing very long samples at a more or less usable quality.

But I'm totally sure this will be developed further in the next years. If I had the means now, I would try to find the best coder on the world, stuff him with money, lock him in a beautiful apartment on some beach for a year and he would maybe deliver. Ahhhh, lucid dreaming...

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
and it's not like there has been no other synth with the additive and spectral re-synthesis :shrug:
Sure, but not in combination with a fully fledged sample player, a state-of-the-art-granulator, VA/FM/WT-synthesis, good FX, tons of modulators, filters and sequencers, scriptable interfaces - all in one instrument and even one patch if desired. That's the whole point...

Sampleconstruct wrote:
Sure, but not in combination with a fully fledged sample player, a state-of-the-art-granulator, VA/FM/WT-synthesis, good FX, tons of modulators, filters and sequencers, scriptable interfaces - all in one instrument and even one patch if desired. That's the whole point...
i get it...but it's not like you have to wait for any of it to be invented :shrug:

all it takes is someone to have the insight as to why this combination would be worth pursuing, and we have that. now you just need the money...and the coder :tu:

Sampleconstruct wrote:
i get it...but it's not like you have to wait for any of it to be invented :shrug:

all it takes is someone to have the insight as to why this combination would be worth pursuing, and we have that. now you just need the money...and the coder :tu:
and the apartment, and the beach, and the genius inside the coder...

Sampleconstruct wrote:and the apartment, and the beach, and the genius inside the coder...
don't be such a negative nancy :P

1. CMT; are the Composite Morphing Technique soundsources done in-house or are they done with IRCAM tools, Metasynth, Alchemy, etc...? Will we see soundsource morphing at the patch level at some point in the v2 life cycle? Was the Innerspace effect licensed or built from the ground up? If it was built then that is symbolic of the direction things are headed.

2. Is the ability to have 40 simultaneous morphing wave tables per instance really enough?

3. I don't see them opening up the sampling engine to a technical degree for end-users nor do I see them trying to create a 3rd party ecosystem but would they ever co-brand a serious expansion library, like a ProjectSam for Omnisphere?

Sampleconstruct wrote:and the apartment, and the beach, and the genius inside the coder...
don't be such a negative nancy :P
LOLZ :party:

Sampleconstruct:

which vsts can you fully recommend for granular and spectral resynthesis? both together or seperately?
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Return to “Instruments”