Stereo spread in Reason's Thor?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

As the title says, i can't find the option to set the stereo spread in Thor. It has multi oscillators, so where is the spread? Googling for it almost makes me think that there is no such thing in Thor. So any recommendations on how to get the desired effect would be most appreciated.

Unfortunately THORs oscilators are mono. But there are workarounds in getting a stereo sound. Eg flip THOR an have a look at the routing diagrams on the rear. Iirc there should be at least a stereo routing which uses Filter 1 for the right channel and Filter 2 as a left. You could also route your oscillators into some other stuff first via audio out & matrix and back via audio in and then route it through your filters.

Cheers
Sebastian
Underground Music Production: Sound Design, Machine Funk, High Tech Soul

I dont have Reason anymore but theoretically it could work like this:

- route osc 1 to audio out 1, connect audio out 1 to the Unison device and route unison output 1 to Thor audio in 1 and unison output 2 to Thors audio in 2

- audio in 1 to filter 1, audio in 2 to filter 2 and iirc filter output 1 to amp input R and filter output 2 to amp input L

- you have to disable some things like osc1 to filter1 on your gui because you already set it up manually.

This should hopefully work.

Cheers
Sebastian

This would be the routing in Thor´s matrix to get more or less stereo spread:
Thor.jpg
Sorry, I use the german version...in english, in the Scale column you have to choose Amplitude Envelope and use the first amounts to regulate how stereo it should be...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thanks guys, i'll check it out. I actually found the scheme on the backside of Thor yesterday, but didn't quite get my head around it. I'll give it another go today.

Halma wrote:
- audio in 1 to filter 1, audio in 2 to filter 2 and iirc filter output 1 to amp input R and filter output 2 to amp input L
Correction: not amp input but filter 3 like on the screen from Trancit and then controlled via one of the envelopes.

Sry for that. :wink:

There are routing instructions on the back of Thor that tell you how to get a true stereo signal. To make the stereo image even more pronounced make sure at least one oscillator is going in the Filt3 L.in and at least one oscillator is going into Filt3 R.in. Also make sure these two oscillators are detuned differently or are different waveforms.

Hm, this is giving me a harder time than i thought it would. 1. even when i route it the way described on the back of Thor, it doesn't sound as if the unison voices are spread 100% in the stereo field, still feels a bit narrow, 2. when i route it the way described, i get all sorts of other issues, e.g. i'd probably have to set up the mod matrix again so that filter 3 is routed into the waveshaper, so i can use the drive, and 3. there's some weirdness with the polyphony now it seems. When i play a note when another note is held, it doesn't retrigger the global envelope, which is now acting as the filter envelope. Seems like this method to get stereo spread is pretty messy... why they didn't just make the oscillators stereo, as is obviously the case in Malestroem is really beyond me. Thought Reason is supposed to be easy to use, but this is not very easy...

Dangit I have to check if my old version is still on my rig so I can use it in Demo mode. Last time I used THOR was a few years ago. Will try it tomorrow.

But the global env is monophonic IIRC. There should be a mono/poly retrigger option in the upper left corner btw maybe there is an option to change it to the way you like it.

I highly recommend the "Thor demystified" series on the propellerhead website. And also the excellent websites from hydlide and Reason101. That should keep you busy for a few months. :D

Yeah, i guess i have to demystify it a bit more. :) Those are nice tutorials, already read parts of them. Thanks for the tips.

Great, someone took the whole "Discovering reason" tutorial series, and made a PDF out of it: http://www.docdroid.net/99r7/discoverin ... n.pdf.html

Return to “Instruments”