KVR MIX CHALLENGE - MC07 December 2014 - Winners announced

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So here is round 2:

wav: https://www.dropbox.com/s/01p5jpaq1kzw6 ... s.wav?dl=0
mp3: https://www.dropbox.com/s/mskb2cteql2g1 ... s.mp3?dl=0

Doc Jon, I followed all your advice and I also worked a little more on the low frequencies, giving them more power. Also a few volume tweaks here and there.
Last edited by geroyannis on Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Doc Jon,

Thank you for selecting my mix to move on to round 2!

I reduced the bass energy per your request and worked to reveal some additional details that each track offered throughout the tune.

This was a great project. It offers so many possibilities that my greatest challenge was deciding WHICH version, FX, EQ, levels, etc., sounded best. I hope what I finally submitted here, that sounds good to me, sounds good to you as well.

Thank you for sharing your tracks with us!

Jeff Rippe
(Fender19)

mp3: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxuC5 ... authuser=0
wave: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxuC5 ... authuser=0
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/fender19/doc-jon ... al-version
Last edited by Fender19 on Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unfortunately, due to a systems failure, I haven't been on the net since the 15th (before the 1st round results) until today (21st).

Thank you to Doc Jon, however I am unable to update my entry for r2. Good luck to everyone else.

Thank you all once more for your participation.
The Mix Round 2 has ended.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Thanks guys, downloaded second round tracks and will report back with final placings at the weekend

westcoast2 - aaargh, that's a shame, sorry for your IT problems :(

Fender19 - having problem locating your WAV file, the link you provided just seems to direct to the MP3 version, if you're able to fix I will re-download, otherwise I'll have to use the MP3 file, not a huge problem but see if you can fix link if possible to keep everything fair :)

Jon

Doc Jon wrote: Fender19 - having problem locating your WAV file, the link you provided just seems to direct to the MP3 version, if you're able to fix I will re-download, otherwise I'll have to use the MP3 file, not a huge problem but see if you can fix link if possible to keep everything fair :)

Jon
Fixed.

Fender19 wrote:
Doc Jon wrote: Fender19 - having problem locating your WAV file, the link you provided just seems to direct to the MP3 version, if you're able to fix I will re-download, otherwise I'll have to use the MP3 file, not a huge problem but see if you can fix link if possible to keep everything fair :)

Jon
Fixed.
Excellent, cheers mate :tu:

Uncle E - I'll have a listen to your mix as well and give you some feedback next couple of days

Jon

FINAL RESULTS

Ok, have spent the last few days listening and re-listening on two sets of monitors and headphones, changing my mind time and time again but have finally made my choice. I know a lot of stuff can be fixed at the mastering stage but based on the mixes as presented here the results are as follows:

1st place
Geroyannis - you made all the adjustments I had wanted and also presented the best combination of clear mix and good contrast between the two sections. Well done :D

2nd place
Shroomfeverish - another good clear balanced mix, just lost out on the top slot as your quiet/loud contrast between the two sections was not quite as pronounced as No 1 :)

3rd place
Photonic - This really hurts me but sorry mate but your first round mix was the winner for me, the minor changes you made have not helped - ended up making the higher frequencies a little harsh in the second section and losing some bass definition and power :scared: . I even reloaded your first round mix to compare side by side and it was definitely better first time :(

Honorable mention to Fender19 - you made the changes requested and produced a good mix, just needed a little bit more clarity in the second section to make top 3

A big "Well done!" to everyone :clap:

Jon

Wonderful :) Thanks!

Congrats to Geroyannis and Shroomfeverish ! :tu: :clap:

That's OK Doc! When I listened to the second round results I heard that it will get close. I am happy with the third place and I am glad that I was your favorit in the first round. And it is proven again, that not every imrovement is realy such.
soundcloud.com/photonic-1

Thanks Jon for the invested time and posting the results.

As usual, the winners can now select their tool of choice, then please get in touch with Satyatunes regarding license distribution.

If things turn out well, we can start fresh into 2015 with MC08 - on 1st February.
So please stay tuned, and spread the word (i.e. through Twitter with #kvrmixchallenge ).
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Congratulations to the winners!

Looking forward to MC08!

Wow, great :party: Thanks for the preference and congratulations to shroomfeverish and photonic!
I was excited with yesterday's elections here in Greece and forgot to check KVR, so today that I saw the news is also a good day!

I guess I have to choose a prize, right? I think I'll take Acon Digital Verberate.
So, take it from here shroomfeverish.

Doc Jon, thanks again for your piece. I really enjoyed working with it, and even got a few ideas for my own music.

I´ll take MH HaloVerb.

Well, thats the pain of the third place, when both prizes I was looking for are allready taken.
So thank you, nothing for me this MC. Next MC, next chance!
soundcloud.com/photonic-1

Return to “Production Techniques”