What is lost in tape recording compared to original wax cylinder?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm just not getting that scratchy-ghost-in-a-tin-can-sound that was so good on the Edison wax cylinders.

I know - 'don't be such a smart-arse skitchy' ;)

*** Grabbing a bowl of popcorn **** :D

I thought these threads were always started by debs ... :ud:

You seem to forget the order:
Wax Cylinder -> Shellac -> tape

Very old recordings were directly recorded on to shellac before tape was invented and took over for better editing capabilities.

Liek, srlsy! :smack:

:lol:
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

But Shellac is like, soooo Minidisc.
:)

Gotta be Beeswax or its not analogue.

Compyfox wrote:-> Shellac ->
Seems to have made a comeback in the future :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILbLGNDqUxA

Only if they turned sentient and with a spelling mistake.

skitchy wrote:But Shellac is like, soooo Minidisc.
:)
Don't know where you come from, but MiniDisk came after HDD recording and CD releases?

Am I missing something, other than the obvious hipster comment? :shrug:
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Compyfox wrote:Don't know where you come from, but MiniDisk came after HDD recording and CD releases?
I was thinking it was because MD and Shellac was "transitional" media that never quite did catch on, but Shellac was used for a long time it appears:

"Until the advent of vinyl around the 1940s, most gramophone records were pressed from shellac compounds. From 1921 to 1928, 18,000 tons of shellac were used to create 260 million records for Europe. In the 1930s, it was estimated that half of all shellac was used for gramophone records. Use of shellac for records was common until the 1950s and continued into the 1970s in some non-Western countries.

And MD is a lossless format, so it is not a good comparison...

Sorry to disappoint you - MD is not lossless.

The system uses a "similar" masking system like MP3, though not as strong - and you're still limited to 74minutes (normal play). Else you wouldn't get as much on this small disk. That it never really caught on in certain areas(!), lies on a whole different ballpark.

I didn't mean anything in particular - just a joke about comparing different recording media (like my OP).

See what you can learn by being that smart-arse skitchy? :hihi:

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

dsan@mail.com wrote:Happy Musiking!
Euro house, or happy hardcore?

Numanoid wrote:
dsan@mail.com wrote:Happy Musiking!
Euro house, or happy hardcore?
A friend has this catch phrase that seems applicable, so....

Why are these my only choices?
I believe every thread should devolve into character attacks and witch-burning. It really helps the discussion.

See what you can learn by being that smart-arse skitchy? :hihi:
Yes - I should do it more often, to more people and to a greater extent :)
I actually have a massive pile of shellac records gathering dust somewhere. Every time they get moved you invariably hear a disheartening 'crunch' at some point in the operation.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”