Electric Guitar VST Instrument

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

BlackWinny wrote: it is not the quality if the guitar emulation which is the most important, it is the quality of the effects
True, so don't forget one of the faves in the 2014 KVR Developer Challenge, "Guitar Gadgets" -- 11 free FX by Musical Entropy.
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

guitar emulations are the work(s) of the devil.

(so says a guitar player)

peace
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

Mister Natural wrote:guitar emulations are the work(s) of the devil.

peace
Hail Satan!

(So says an Electronic Musician) :P

logic

Another one worth considering is Orange Tree Samples. (http://www.orangetreesamples.com/)

They have just released Evolution Electric Guitar - Stratosphere, and there is an introductory discount until Jan 31. I think this is a successor to Evolution Electric Guitar - Strawberry, but both are still listed on their website.

As a non-guitarist, I have tried using RealStrat, Evolution Electric Guitar, and Electi6ity, and to be honest, despite their promises, none of them are particularly intuitive when it comes to getting a realistic riff set up. Whatever you end up choosing, you will need to invest a fair bit of time in understanding all of the keyswitch options and how and when to use them in order to get the sound that is in your head. While all of them come with some amp sims and effects (I think RealStrat comes with a "lite" version of Amplitube), you will find that using them clean, in conjunction with a dedicated guitar amp sim (such as Amplitube or Guitar Rig) will expand the tonal possibilities enormously.

Personally, I found RealStrat (particularly its strumming pattern library) the easiest to use for simpler parts, but more limiting for more complex riffs. Electri6ity is more complex (and expensive) but offers a wider range of guitars. Evolution Electric Guitarsits somewhere in between these. In the right hands, I think that either Evolution Electric Guitar or Electri6ity are capable of some very realistic lead lines. RealStrat's strength is in strummed parts. My $0.02...
Time is an illusion - lunchtime doubly so.

progtronic wrote:
peace
Hail Satan!
(So says an Electronic Musician) :P
logic
Guitar players are the work of the devil (at least according to the legend of Robert Johnson).
:P

I played with the Real Rick awhile back during a trial period.
Excellent for a clean Rick sound and runs nicely in the three amp sims I have.
The key switching was a simple articulation which is great for strumming and single picking effect.

But once plugged in to the amp sims or even studio rack effects there is little to discern otherwise.
It all comes down more to techniques in playing then.

slartibartfast wrote: As a non-guitarist, I have tried using RealStrat, Evolution Electric Guitar, and Electi6ity, and to be honest, despite their promises, none of them are particularly intuitive when it comes to getting a realistic riff set up. Whatever you end up choosing, you will need to invest a fair bit of time in understanding all of the keyswitch options and how and when to use them in order to get the sound that is in your head.
+1

That's my main beef with all these guitar libraries...
TELURICA - "Made In ___ [INSERT LOCATION]" - EP.
Available now on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/telurica/sets/ma ... t-location

Progtronic, Did you get archtop? If so, How does if do fast repeated, non muted, notes?
What you put in to an amp sim makes a huge difference. Prominy vmetal and shreddage couple
really well with amp sims.The ample sound electrics didn't sound good through the amp sims.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtV6V62mk_Q

bill45 wrote:Progtronic, Did you get archtop? If so, How does if do fast repeated, non muted, notes?...
Nope. Never bought Archtop or Shreddage 2.

I have Shreddage and Shreddage X though.. but couldn't get the detail I needed, to match up with the stuff I was doing with Electri6ity.. so, I had to shelve it. I did buy their 8-string bouzouki however.. which got a lot of use on (roughly half of) my Mortis Metallum album.

I generally recommend Impact Soundworks instruments to anyone looking for quality, affordable, sampled instrument libraries.. they are a really cool company with great customer service.

peace
Guitar emulations can be also sometimes the work(s) of God when they are necessary (for someone who can't play guitar because of his fingers or for a composition exclusively on keyboard... or for someone who hasn't anymore the courage to learn the guitar due to the age or any other reason).

So says another guitar player.

Peace and tolerance.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

peace
:hihi:

They're good for anyone who can't play guitar, but they definitely have their shortcomings.

http://www.xoxos.net/vst/vst.html#models pling is good and free.
http://www.spicyguitar.com/ i like for strumming.
then there's amps....

I think the best is the best according to how you get on with the interface and the way of working with it. It's become a thing that velocity switching is where you get articulation, and this is not my way. I respect OTS EEG but I never got on with it. That said I used Shreddage 2 in the studio, got a certain effect pretty quickly, read the manual before going in. I had a shot at this availed to me through a relationship so I found a spot for it in a track, gives me a needed contrast to 'my sound' which I'm too lazy to alter radically otherwise. I knew what the parameters of sound were going in, I went with that setup already in focus.
Sounds pretty convincing but it wouldn't for long periods for me without getting good at using its ways. This particular sound wouldn't have much dynamics in any case, so velocity switching was an ok modus operandi. Thing is, my control of keyboards is not stellar.

The most realistic thing I've seen demos of is Impact Soundworks Archtop Hollow Body, someone got a killer blues whole solo out of it, see it on youtube. I don't have that sound available to me through real gear like at all, so I'm interested in that one. It's interesting to me to get very idiomatic guitar with no guitar in hand, it abstracts it for me, learning something.

I think if you have no idea what a guitarist does with the thing you're at a real bad angle to virtual guitar part writing. But that's true for any instrument that's this idiomatic.

Return to “Instruments”