Now Hive is here, is it RIP Sylenth?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Hive 2 Sylenth1

Urs wrote:What kind of weird filters did you make out in Hive?
Everything that is not optimized for trance is weird.

This is the first U-HE synth since Diva that interests me severely. I LOVED the video demo from our resident EDM sound expert :)

Didn't like Bazille at all, it has a really brittle raw quality to it i can't warm to, then again i don't like serum either for the same reasons (yes i know they are totally different types of synths), and that one is hugely popular so i guess my taste is uncommon.

Yet i love what i hear of Hive so far.. *RIGHT* up my alley..

I also love saurus (unrelated example but point being it's not popular here).

So maybe i am just weird.

I bet this will sell beyond hotcakes.. U-HE's first official EDM synth? There will be thousands of presets before too long, it is cheaper than sylenth, and i can't wait to try it.
Not to mention U-HE actually has customer support and updates his plugins, and is hip to 64 bit on mac, not only windows.

Would love to see an RE of this without some of the fancier features.

Numanoid wrote:
Urs wrote:What kind of weird filters did you make out in Hive?
Everything that is not optimized for tarnce is weird.
FTFY

I am a weird oscillator myself...
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

TheoM wrote: Didn't like Bazille at all, it has a really brittle raw quality to it i can't warm to
Tbh, that's exactly what i'm feeling when using the "normal" and "dirty" mode in Hive. The "clean" mode is a lot better, although i must admit that i don't find the unison extremely exciting either. It has some sort of thickness, which quickly can become unpleasant when cranking up the unison spread. Sorry to be the party pooper, i fired up Hive a couple of times now, and still don't get warm with it. I'd love to like it, but it doesn't really tick with me. Well, there are worse things in life. :)

TheoM wrote: I also love saurus (unrelated example but point being it's not popular here).
So maybe i am just weird.

Ha! Saurus was part of my consideration too. (Much more than Sylenth in fact.)
Mainly because of the BS-BOGOF going on right now, but it became more of a question since it's the one Tone2 synth I don't have and there would be nothing else to get with it.

It all becomes a question of need or just GAS tweaking my weakness of economic urgency.
+1 for Hive at least being resell-able after carrying it full term (without the NFR pulling it down).

DJ Warmonger wrote:Hive is about distortion and weird filters, Sylenth1 is all about clarity.
To these ears Sylenth sounds soft and mushy.

Hive is the more detailed, clear and present sounding synth of the two. By a long way.

Dunno what people see/hear in Sylenth.

I think it was clever of Urs to include three character modes in this synth. A patch that sounded "meh" in Normal, was passable in Clean, and quite nice in Dirty.

Dune, Zebra, Spire, Sylenth, Hive... there's no need to retire any of them.

izonin wrote:I think it was clever of Urs to include three character modes in this synth. A patch that sounded "meh" in Normal, was passable in Clean, and quite nice in Dirty.

Precisely
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

izonin wrote:I think it was clever of Urs to include three character modes in this synth. A patch that sounded "meh" in Normal, was passable in Clean, and quite nice in Dirty.

I've found with ZebraHZ to have no need for the others. :shrug:

It's quite unhuman to allow for such sharing, when two contenders are in the ring only one can win :wink:

Urs wrote:
DJ Warmonger wrote:I don't get all this Hive hype :shrug:

As to answer teh question, the principle of these two synths is opposite. Hive is about distortion and weird filters, Sylenth1 is all about clarity.
What kind of weird filters did you make out in Hive? What makes you assume that Hive is all about distortion?

I'm just asking, because I don't get the point. In other forums they found out that Hive sounds to clean to be on par with Sylenth. You just said the opposite. As if there was any point in it. It slowly dawns on me that some people simply don't want Hive to exist, and therefore they put out random observations that are based on, hmmm, nothing. As if that would change anything. But it doesn't. We're gonna release this. People want this and whether or not other people prefer something else has nothing to do with that :clown:
Watched your video and that's what I got from it.

I think you start to take things personally for no real reason.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Now thinkning out of the box for in the box, if you see what I mean...

How about a module setup to allow or the functions of the uhe synths to interface with each other...from the sound of diva, to the dynamic controls and arp of hive, to the visual routing of zerba and the cabling of ace.

or an amalgamation of all the synths in one plugin allowing routing and switching on/off of various functions and variables!

Just putting it out there...progress

Numanoid wrote:
It's quite unhuman to allow for such sharing, when two contenders are in the ring only one can win :wink:
I also hate to use more than one Miditrack in a song :D

DJ Warmonger wrote:Watched your video and that's what I got from it.
Trying out the beta makes more sense then watching/hearing compressed videos don't you think?
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

MFXxx wrote:Now thinkning out of the box for in the box, if you see what I mean...

How about a module setup to allow or the functions of the uhe synths to interface with each other...from the sound of diva, to the dynamic controls and arp of hive, to the visual routing of zerba and the cabling of ace.

or an amalgamation of all the synths in one plugin allowing routing and switching on/off of various functions and variables!

Just putting it out there...progress
When you have a cpu with each core at least 10x as fast, that would at least be possible

Return to “Instruments”