Reaper vs. Studio One?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Dubturbo ......

Gnomebe wrote:Does it really come down to what your "comfortable" with?

:borg:
Mostly... That, and the impossibility for many people to admit that others users might actually have something better.

I used Reaper years ago, so I can't really compare it to S1.

However, I find S1 very easy to work with, does'nt mean it's any better then anything else per se'. Just better for me...
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

S1 is a well thought out host that "hangs together well" in that it seems pretty complete and to have been built with a clear vision of what it should be. On the other hand Reaper appears to have been built with more of a clear vision of what it's development process should be, rather than of a particular end product. This is reflected in its much more open ended and pluralistic operation, there's always more than one way of achieving the same thing with Reaper and it's infinitely customisable, but this can also come across to some as messy, where S1 is nice and neat with everything in its place.

However, in terms of actual functionality I feel Reaper's philosophy is the one that gets results for me, S1 has always been the buggiest host on my system, with the exception of Energy XT (which tbh barely counts as a host in development anyway), and has the slowest development and least responsive devs too, wheras while the pace of development of Reaper has slowed considerably it does still get regular bug fixes and has lots of ways of handling buggy plugins that help keep it stable, as well as a responsive and engaged dev team.

aMUSEd wrote: However, in terms of actual functionality I feel Reaper's philosophy is the one that gets results for me, S1 has always been the buggiest host on my system, with the exception of Energy XT (which tbh barely counts as a host in development anyway), and has the slowest development and least responsive devs too, wheras while the pace of development of Reaper has slowed considerably it does still get regular bug fixes and has lots of ways of handling buggy plugins that help keep it stable, as well as a responsive and engaged dev team.
Would have said that S1 was quite stable until the 2.X updates. Now, things are going haywire, and I had to rollback quite a few of my 3rd party plugins. But the same plugs would work on BWig no trouble.

S1 crashes a lot for me, but its backup system is pretty sweet, so I never loose too much - Still a pain in the arse when it happens. :D

The worst Daw (for me) was Ableton 8. It would crash all the freakin' time. Which seems to have happened to a lot of people. But in fairness, I've no experience with 9, so it might be a lot better now.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

HobbyCore wrote: You should try digital performer. It's the perfect host.
I tested 8.07 right now, and the bugs in 8.04 is still there - from 16 months ago.

Waves Element nowhere to be inserted - scan but then invisible.
MetapluginSynth as well as Metaplugin - list as effects - even though Synth version is identifying itself as synth.

All tutorial and demo projects crashed on my computer.
What I did myself worked fine though.

DP on Mac is verified as officially supported by Waves.
Talking to Waves and Motu - nothing of that sort is to be done with Windows version.

Probably would have bought it if MOTU felt serious about maintenance - and fixed things known and acknowledged by them 16 months ago(Waves thing at least).

I'm done with MOTU - they are not serious about Windows version as I see it.
Dave at sales support seems like serious guy, I had a second trial period now - and that is really giving you a chance to see what is fixed.

I think he was being TNC.......sometimes it's hard to tell here :hihi:

lfm wrote:
HobbyCore wrote: You should try digital performer. It's the perfect host.
I tested 8.07 right now, and the bugs in 8.04 is still there - from 16 months ago.

Waves Element nowhere to be inserted - scan but then invisible.
MetapluginSynth as well as Metaplugin - list as effects - even though Synth version is identifying itself as synth.

All tutorial and demo projects crashed on my computer.
What I did myself worked fine though.

DP on Mac is verified as officially supported by Waves.
Talking to Waves and Motu - nothing of that sort is to be done with Windows version.

Probably would have bought it if MOTU felt serious about maintenance - and fixed things known and acknowledged by them 16 months ago(Waves thing at least).

I'm done with MOTU - they are not serious about Windows version as I see it.
Dave at sales support seems like serious guy, I had a second trial period now - and that is really giving you a chance to see what is fixed.
I was trying not too, but I had to jump in. Digital Performer 8 for windows is terrible. It works for what it's worth meaning that you can fire it up without it crashing, but it fails a bunch of plugs that shouldn't be failed, and the weird erratic CPU spiking is enough to make me walk away after a couple of minutes of use. It just does not function properly. I still have as of yet to see or hear of someone actually using DP8 for Windows successfully for music production! If anybody has concrete evidence of someone using it without any problems, please feel free to point me to this evidence and I'll eat my words. I, as well as you lfm think the same thing in that respect. It seems as if they just gave up on making the Windows version work like it should. I guess I'll just wait until they get around to it. Who the hell knows when though. All I know is that I'm sitting on a very expensive leap of faith in MOTU and it seems as if though I lost that bet.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWS and plugins.

I still have DP8 here but it is very flaky. Sometimes everything fires up nicely and I can go great guns with it then other times it just crashes, loads slow, does weird things....

I find both Reaper and S1 to work well here though and neither seem, to me here, to be anything near the issue that DP8 is...
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

Hey, Reapers.

A bit OT, but I'm demoing Reaper and have a few questions.

- After you've added a track with a VST, how do you open the VST again?
- How do you permanently get rid of the awful FX-border around VST's?
- How do you setup so the selected track only gets midi input?
- How do you make a midi item longer without copying/repeating or moving the notes?

The default behavior of this DAW is...puzzling...
Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a function | http://soundcloud.com/bmoorebeats

a) rightclick on fx buttons give you a menu to open each plugin gui.
This is also available in mixer view where there are slots for each plugin.

b) see a) - it will show each plugin only
c) click I/O-button on track header - as I remember.
Or rightclick input selection to get a menu.

d) if you take F2 you get properties and can turn off looping.
Then drag right edge - as far as I remember.

BMoore wrote:Hey, Reapers.

A bit OT, but I'm demoing Reaper and have a few questions.

- After you've added a track with a VST, how do you open the VST again?
- How do you permanently get rid of the awful FX-border around VST's?
- How do you setup so the selected track only gets midi input?
- How do you make a midi item longer without copying/repeating or moving the notes?

The default behavior of this DAW is...puzzling...
- assuming the default theme, click the FX button to show the plugs for that track.
- open the FX as above then double click the effect/instrument so it floats in its own window. Or, right click the FX button and select the plug from there.
- not sure you can, I just only select the input when I'm actually recording something.
- if looping is off (dbl-click item for properties) you should just be able to drag the border to the size you need.Isn't it in the manual? ;)

Thanks man.

Manuals, huh. Did you ever hear deadmau5 or Jordan Rudess say "hey, I learned this from the manual"?
Didn't think so.
Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a function | http://soundcloud.com/bmoorebeats

One more thing.

How do I stop that timeline scroll indicator from moving to where or what ever i click?

BMoore wrote: Manuals, huh. Did you ever hear deadmau5 or Jordan Rudess say "hey, I learned this from the manual"?
Didn't think so.
That's actually what i found pretty great about Ableton, when i tried it. No need for a manual, as you have the help built in the program. :) Switching between program and manual is always a bit distracting.

Regarding Reaper: "First rule of fight club is ... "

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”