NI Replika

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The problem being that it's not even sure if it is related to the graphics driver. But how would you know, if you don't even try. Best is to put the plugin in the garbage then, as you say. Btw, ATI is known for bad drivers, just so you know. That doesn't mean there have to be problems though. I had an ATI card in my last desktop computer, and i frequently updated the drivers, and had no problems, apart from flickering textures and shadows in games, which, again, is typical for ATI. Nvidia offers a program which manages driver downloads and installs, and is running in the task bar, and notifies and installs new drivers for you. I would assume that most people update their drivers with it. ATI probably has something similar now. I don't think updating the graphics drivers is something completely out of this world, or a huge instability factor... it's a pretty normal thing, which most people do. And again, it doesn't have to be a requirement to run newer stuff, it's just that newer stuff has been tested using the latest drivers, thus it is recommended to have them installed. It's like NI doesn't support anything older than Windows 7, because it has only been tested on Win 7+.

chk071 wrote:@ Teksonik: I really don't know why you so vehemently refuse to install a new graphics driver... i install a new graphics driver almost 2 weekly on my desktop machine, because i'm gaming much, and many games also require the latest drivers, there, we have it there also. It really shouldn't be a problem in 99% of the cases, while also in 99% of the cases, it can be very helpful to have the latest drivers. And if anything goes wrong, you can always revert to the driver which was working without problems.
I don't know why you care what I do or don't do. But you answered your own question. 1%. :wink:

Let me spell it out for you........

1. I don't do gaming on my studio computer.
2. Everything else is working perfectly now.
3. This is a simple delay Not worth even the 1% risk or trouble. I already own a TON of delay plugins

Clear now ? I'll wait for a fix or simply delete the plugin. You can update your drivers every five minutes if you wish..... :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Ok, understood. It's just that you can't blame NI, or anything/anyone else, if you're getting technical advice that you refuse to execute. It's totally common that you get asked to try A or B, when you have problems, and you're asking for technical support for software. :shrug:

chk071 wrote:The problem being that it's not even sure if it is related to the graphics driver. But how would you know, if you don't even try. Best is to put the plugin in the garbage then, as you say.
As you read (please read, instead of a generic answer just to make your point) it works fine on my machine, so I dont have to put in the garbage. :) If something doesnt work, I do try. If it still doesnt work, then bye bye.

Thanks for your hints about the ATI drivers, I might try again, but previous experiences turned out quite badly.
Last edited by vstliefhebber on Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Replika is fantastic. NI knows what they're doing those slickers. :hihi: Downloading and testing this out, is a reminder of how good the NI effects plugins actually are. Now I feel like breaking out and using the rest of my NI effects that I just left sitting there on my hard drive and actually buying the rest of the collection! Puts me in an NI state of mind!

.-.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWS and plugins.

chk071 wrote:Ok, understood. It's just that you can't blame NI, or anything/anyone else, if you're getting technical advice that you refuse to execute. It's totally common that you get asked to try A or B, when you have problems, and you're asking for technical support for software. :shrug:
I can if executing that "technical advice" doesn't make sense. Let me point out again that this isn't my first rodeo and the plugin works just fine if I only run one instance or only have one GUI open at a time.

Does it make sense that if it is a driver issue that a single instance would work at all ? ENV1 has already diagnosed the problem at least the only one that occurs here and it has to do with the I/O meters and shared resources. All NI would have to do is eliminate the meters as they are useless eye candy anyway. Let's see how good they are at taking advice.

Let me also point out that some people who do have updated drivers have still reported problems so your "poke and hope" bug fix system isn't working in my opinion.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I like this. Almost as much as I like the little primal tap freebie from Soundtoys.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

DeBro wrote:I've been running several instances of Replika in a Sonar X3e project with lots of automation without any issues. My computer is self built with an AMD FX4300 and Asus/nVidia 210 silent graphics card. It's a really wonderful plugin. What's very funny is to see here on KVR where Sonar gets no love and thrown overboard by many, the number of posts stating the problems other host programs are having with Replika. Sonar accepts it with open arms. :hihi:
Sonar X3e 64 bit, Windows 7: I can run several instances but Sonar crashes as soon as I open a second GUI where Replika is receiving audio.

Let's hope the update in the New Year is somewhat less buggy.

It's rubbish. Can you imagine Fabfilter releasing such a buggy plugin?

spirit wrote:It's rubbish. Can you imagine Fabfilter releasing such a buggy plugin?
A freebie like this rubbish huh?

If you can't use it then you may as well just wait until they update it instead of whine about it, because it will inevitably get fixed..

Also since you got it for free.. then whats the point of complaining?
:borg:

This is "free" because it is a marketing vehicle for NI. To use it you need their authorization plugin. So now you are part of their eco-system. You use this free plugin and you think: "Wow, great plugin, I may actually buy something now". But if your free plugin is famous mainly because of its botched bug-ridden release then it's completely failed in its aim.

As for "whining" I think you completely misunderstand what's going on here. This is an exercise in marketing. And as a marketing product it is rubbish. It has damaged the brand much more than any paid plugin. This is purely a pubic relations campaign and it has failed. Exhibit A: This thread. Exhibit B: NI's own forum thread.

In terms of a delay plugin, so what? It's buggy, I won't use it. I couldn't care less if it gets patched or not. I just comment on the marketing aspect which is the only reason it exists.

Take that to KVR Forum > The Main Forums > Business :lol:

It seems the over-all response is very positive.

Any problems are likely to be worked out in time.

I just wish more companies would offer useful freebies during the holidays.

Teksonik wrote: I feel bad for NI because all they wanted to do was be generous (and perhaps get a bit of public beta testing of a new technology) and things just didn't go as planned.
Yeah, but I don't think it has been a huge failure really, pretty much everyone acknowledges it is a great plugin, and as you say people have enough respect for NI to know they will make ironing out the bugs a priority, they opened a feedback thread when they released it because they knew there were bound to be teething problems with this sort of hardware reliant approach to the graphics. Maybe, with hindsight, they could have called it a "preview" as uhe does, but it amounts to the same thing, like Urs, NI know that a limited group of beta testers, who lets face it tend to have well maintained systems with uptodate drivers etc, will never pick up the sort of bugs you only see when you release a plugin into the wild (particularly PCs that have a vastly greater range of conditions than Mac). So it's all useful information I'm sure and I don't really see it hurting NI one bit, a fixed Replika GT, or whatever, will sell like hot cakes if and when it comes.

aMUSEd wrote:
Teksonik wrote: I feel bad for NI because all they wanted to do was be generous (and perhaps get a bit of public beta testing of a new technology) and things just didn't go as planned.
Yeah, but I don't think it has been a huge failure really, pretty much everyone acknowledges it is a great plugin, and as you say people have enough respect for NI to know they will make ironing out the bugs a priority, they opened a feedback thread when they released it because they knew there were bound to be teething problems with this sort of hardware reliant approach to the graphics. Maybe, with hindsight, they could have called it a "preview" as uhe does, but it amounts to the same thing, like Urs, NI know that a limited group of beta testers, who lets face it tend to have well maintained systems with uptodate drivers etc, will never pick up the sort of bugs you only see when you release a plugin into the wild (particularly PCs that have a vastly greater range of conditions than Mac). So it's all useful information I'm sure and I don't really see it hurting NI one bit, a fixed Replika GT, or whatever, will sell like hot cakes if and when it comes.
I never said it was a "huge failure" nor can you say it has been a "huge success".

The whole point of having a beta team is to test software on as many systems as possible not just have a team who "tend to have well maintained systems with uptodate drivers". When i beta test software I use three systems, one of which is still running WinXp, one with Win 7 and one with Win 8. Simply because some developers are interested in having as broad a potential customer base as possible and aren't aiming their products at only those with the most up to date systems and drivers. Let's focus again on the fact that this is just a simple delay. Trotting out some new GUI system for such a plugin meant to be a Holiday freebie might not have been the best idea. Any negative feedback now will not go away when it becomes a paid plugin in a few days.

But having said that I have faith that a fix will come that doesn't require an update to OpenGL 2.1. Another reason I'm hesitant to update my drivers besides the "if it ain't broke" mentality is that I have some older plugins on my studio computer that will never be updated by their developers that might possibly suffer harm with a newer driver update. Yes the risk is small but any risk is not worth the reward for a simple delay plugin although I do like the sound of Replika........ :shrug:

Return to “Effects”