Debating buying a new pc to have access to thunberbolt interfaces.

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey guys, I'm currently running an AMD computer setup using an AMD 9590 processor, and while I love how my system works (see setup description below), I am wondering if I need to change my setup in order to have access to thunberbolt interfaces as they are becoming more common.

My biggest concern is that switching from AMD to intel will cause me to loose a bit of multitasking power. Running 8 cores at 4.7ghz is lovely (when compared to quadcore at 4) for running an all itb setup, but not having access to thunderbolt interfaces may present a problem in coming years as high quality interfaces are slowly shifting over to thunderbolt. I am wanting to upgrade to a higher quality converter, and just use an external preamp of my choice along side of the converter/interface. (probably a lynx hilo if I go to a new setup with thunderbolt, or if I stay with my AMD setup I will go with a Antelope pure 2 when it releases)

My current studio rig is my computer, powered by the AMD FX-9590, 32gigs of ram, and 1tb solid state hard drive (for my music stuff, everything else is only my disc hard drives). I have a focusrite 18i20 (which I am wanting to upgrade), my kemper, and then everything else is in my daw (for the most part excluding a few preamps). Daw-wise I use bitwig (now that it is finally more fleshed out and has multi-outs) or live 9 depending on what I am doing. I use a lot of kontakt libraries, as well as do a lot of work with heavy metal. For mixing I mainly rely on console 1 and my softube plugs. The most that I get my processor to is about 40-60%.

I built my Intel with Haswell 4770K 3.5 Mhz quad in 2013. I have no issues with any plugins running at the same time. However... I also bought motherboard with thunderbolt. Or- at first- I bought one without, then sent it back with great difficulties and bought another one with Thunderbolt. Guess what- 2 years later I do not use it. Now they have Thunderbolt 2, I believe. You may read and see what advantages of SB are. If I could- I would give you mine, as I dont use it. If your computer works good, you can add FireWire card and use Presonus or many other pro cards...

Honestly I switched to my 18i20 from a presonus. I really didn't jive with it, and it got hot way too quickly. I only need 1-2 channels at a time, so I'd rather invest in a good high quality converter.

As for fire wire vs usb, the difference between the two is not worth using fire wire in my opinion. I already run my 18i20 at the lowest buffer it allows with no trouble.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”