HPF and API EQs

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

One of the things I like about Neve EQs is there built in high pass filter. I tend to use the HPFs basically on everything, including kick and bass. But how about API EQs?

There is a band pass filter in 550A - do you find this sufficient for all the filtering needs or would you still prefer an external HPF? I am not sure I like the sound of the LPF that is involved with it. What do you think?

How would you HP filter on a real hardware API console with 550Bs that do not have any filters? What would the pros normally use for that task?

I know I can slap a regular digital EQ on the API emulation but it feels so inappropriate. :D

?? :) ??

Masr wrote:?? :) ??
Pro's normally use digital hpf especially fir filters way better then analog filters for that target !

So, preferably linear-phase EQ? I would worry about pre-ringing :? Or are there non-linearphase FIR EQs too?

Masr wrote:So, preferably linear-phase EQ? I would worry about pre-ringing :? Or are there non-linearphase FIR EQs too?
Read it for yourself http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finite_impulse_response
Fir filters are top notch in my opinion i guess the guys at Acoustica also use them,Dave Gamble Equllibrium its the essential comes to my mind when speaking bout that.
I know its pricey but once you buy it u don't almost any other eq's witch its important to consider.
Again not sure why u need non linear filters,anytime i used high end outboard for cutting results was terrible in my opinion they are not precise enough ..

I actually ended up selling my waves API set because though the filter is cool, and does much of what you need, I'd still end up needing to HPF with something else in many cases. Plus on that set, there isn't a filter on the B version so all I ended up ever using was the A :shrug:

Who cares? Just put another EQ before/after the API. That's what I do. I use Pro-Q as a lo/hi cut. If you're after the API tone, who cares if there is another plugin around it ;) Do whatever gives you the sound you're looking for.
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

Models of one or both of the following would be nice:
WEASEL: World Electro-Acoustic Sound Excitation Laboratories

antithesist wrote:Models of one or both of the following would be nice:
16 of them are on my wish list :love: :love: :love: :D :D :D :pray: :pray: :pray:

Whoa... that's a lot of wishing!

We have one of these and a few other hardware filters for HP/LP (and tilt, in this case) duties... used mostly for live/tracking, but also mix, etc. (HP has resonance, too):

antithesist wrote:Whoa... that's a lot of wishing!

We have one of these and a few other hardware filters for HP/LP (and tilt, in this case) duties... used mostly for live/tracking, but also mix, etc. (HP has resonance, too):
How do they sound? Are you happy with them? I have them on my radar a while, but wasn't able to test them.

deft_bonz: your reply slipped by me.

It sounds great... very transparent (no transformer or discrete opamp mojo, though... or capacitor interference for that matter).

It's a sweet add-on "EQ" for anything, really: mic pres, other EQs, etc. or just as tilt EQ plus filters on its own.

Interesting, thanks, guys. :-)

Return to “Effects”