Now Hive is here, is it RIP Sylenth?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Hive 2 Sylenth1

I'm a bit disappointed in this one.After Bazille I expected a next gen "EDM" synth , but to me it doesn't add anything to similar synths like
Dune 2 , Spire , Z3ta 2 and Massive.

"With the arrival of Hive will you be saying goodbye to Sylenth?"

Good as it is at it's thing, and clearly loved by the dedicated, I never even said hello to sylenth1.
It needs an update, has for a year or two, and it looks not going to happen. Having said that, it might now Hive is out, which if it occurs, sort of tells a tale about leonard and the customer relationship, which sort of backs up my decision to repeatedly give it a wide berth.

Always good to have a fanbot synth war, so three minute warning and all :borg:
Last edited by OutCider on Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
:hihi:
Last edited on Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:42 pm, edited 17 times in total.
:dog: :hihi: :lol:

zlatan wrote:I expected a next gen "EDM" synth
It's as next gen as EDM itself. :hihi:

zlatan wrote:I'm a bit disappointed in this one.After Bazille I expected a next gen "EDM" synth , but to me it doesn't add anything to similar synths like
It has way better unison and filters than Massive and z3ta. FX, too.

Numanoid wrote:If you say so, I believe you
To be accurate, it wasn't meant to be humorous. Simply sarcastic. These threads are starting to get ridiculous. With each new synth coming out being compared to every current synth in existence, their prevalence seems to grow exponentially.

-Sam

EvilDragon wrote:
zlatan wrote:I'm a bit disappointed in this one.After Bazille I expected a next gen "EDM" synth , but to me it doesn't add anything to similar synths like
Says who ? That's a very subjective statement.

Those synths have been used in tons of (hit) records and I don't expect Hive to completely change/improve the sound of those type of tracks.

They all sound the same in a finished product and nobody can tell or even cares which plug in was used.

AusDisciple wrote:I just purchased Hive (and love it) but never used Sylenth so I guess I won't be needing to say hello to it before saying goodbye. ;)
For me it's the opposite: I already have Sylenth1 and with that I haven't felt the urge to try Hive (or Spire or Dune2) yet. I love to use Bazille though, on the modular side :D
Last edited by Nielzie on Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

zlatan wrote:Those synths have been used in tons of (hit) records and I don't expect Hive to completely change/improve the sound of those type of tracks.

They all sound the same in a finished product and nobody can tell or even cares which plug in was used.
Haven't you seen those CDs with the label "Made with Hive by u-he"? :P

zlatan wrote: They all sound the same in a finished product and nobody can tell or even cares which plug in was used.
You're on a musician's forum; why wouldn't we care about how our instruments sound, just because another listener doesn't care?
Maybe you're the EDM voice speaking... :clown:

zlatan wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:
Says who ? That's a very subjective statement.

Those synths have been used in tons of (hit) records and I don't expect Hive to completely change/improve the sound of those type of tracks.
That a bit contradictory. On one hand, you say you expected a next gen synth, which adds something special, on the other hand, you say, in the end they all sound the same. What would be the benefit then with a synth which adds something new? :P I kind of disagree anyway, it's rather about how much work you have to invest to make something sound like you want it to sound. With a synth which sounds good for your kind of thing out of the box, you won't have to work hard, while a synth which doesn't hit the nail will require some work, if you ever get it to sound as you like. At least that's my point of view

Ditching Sylenth for Hive is a bit like how I'd prefer to have finished with my ex. :D

Wait till Hive gets 64 unison. :hyper: Well Urs said he might do 32 or 64.

Nice HIVE tutorial here by AiynZahevSounds Nice sound demo @8:50
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_CmfFAAF7I
Last edited by Kaboom75 on Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

I don't think it's R.I.P. for Sylenth1 at all. There are many choices these days for so many synths that can do this type of thing, so it is just personal preference. Sylenth1 is still very popular.

That being said, I really like Hive's look, and it sounds great. Also, the way u-he works, I am sure they will add more to it in the near future.

chk071 wrote: That a bit contradictory. On one hand, you say you expected a next gen synth, which adds something special, on the other hand, you say, in the end they all sound the same. What would be the benefit then with a synth which adds something new? :P I kind of disagree anyway, it's rather about how much work you have to invest to make something sound like you want it to sound. With a synth which sounds good for your kind of thing out of the box, you won't have to work hard, while a synth which doesn't hit the nail will require some work, if you ever get it to sound as you like. At least that's my point of view
Yes ,I expected something that would ADD something different to the already existing line up of EDM favorites in a way that it wouldn't sound the same as what's out already.. just like when Sylenth 1 dropped.

And I agree with you that speed is extremely important while producing these type of tracks.
Sylenth and Massive have a huge amount of instant "classic" EDM preset banks that have been proven to sound good in tons of hits.

Diva was a huge step up compared to similar synths and so was Monark and The Drop and a few more.
Those were destroying the competition.

Hive doesn't have the same impact IMHO.

Kaboom75 wrote:Wait till Hive gets 64 unison. :hyper: Well Urs said he might do 32 or 64.

Nice HIVE tutorial here by AiynZahevSounds Nice sound demo @8:50
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_CmfFAAF7I
Some really nice stuff there. Makes me a bit ashamed of the things i got out of it. :hihi:

@ zlatan: I guess it's owed to the concept. There was no promise that it would bring something entirely new to the game but focus on the essential and being efficient, that's how i understood it.

Return to “Instruments”