Windows 8/8.1 fast start - boot in six seconds

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I upgraded from 7 to 8.1 and I had Hibernate disabled. That stopped the fast start working. The option wasn't present. If enabled it boots in 6 seconds. Youll find fast start in control panel, hardware and sound, power options, choose what the power buttons do. Shut down settings. Make sure Turn on fast start is enabled. Shut down and boot up a few times to get fastest boot.

http://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-8/turn- ... r-options/

Great tip UltraJv :tu:

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

Why? Who cares? I have time.

My laptop starts in 3 seconds with 8.1. and ssd. No need for sleep :)
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

Frankly, I don't see the point of using "fast startup" over sleep and hibernate in most cases. Resuming from sleep takes like two-three seconds even on an old PC and it keeps all your programs open.
If sleep or hibernate don't work properly on your system for some reason, I'd recommend disabling those, along with fast startup, and sticking with cold boot.

And since "fast startup" is basically a partial hibernate, it has some of the same problems as full hibernate, such as corrupting files in a dual boot setup and other things.
I feel it was a bit sneaky from MS to enable it by default and make people think it's cold booting faster when it's not cold booting at all.
It seems mostly a marketing-driven feature for people with 5400rpm laptop HDDs. With a decent drive (SSD) you shouldn't see much of a difference between fast startup and cold boot anyway.

My SSD gets my machine from cold boot to responsive Windows Desktop in about four seconds. No need for sleep for fastboot etc. And I like turning the chain of four-gang adapters off overnight...

I upgraded from XP to Win8.1 x64 and got an SSD boots in less than 15 secs. Huge improvement on 90+ on XP. HOWEVER!!!! I completely regret not going to 7.

I ran the compatibility thing and all my software and hardware was a go. All of it. But 8.1 is crashing for nothing. It was crashing when I installed it, while I was updating it, and after I put a couple of programs on it. It's crashing now, and a system restore actually deletes files, even portable program files. It's horrible. DONT GET 8.1!!!!!!! Stay 7

Debutante wrote:a system restore actually deletes files, even portable program files
That quite clearly means you have not installed them correctly, as otherwise the OS would know nothing about them and not touch them with system restore.

I would have thought so too. For example, I had simply COPIED my PORTABLE vst folder from my old drive onto my new ssd. I've div'ied them up thus, so that the handier dlls are easy to move - a restore occured and I had to re-copy them, cause they all dissapeared. What pissed me off is that I'd deleted the old folder.

Copy and paste is NOT a difficult thing, is it? There's nothing to install by simply copying files, is there? What exactly do you mean by an installation of a portable file? - it's either there or not, there's no procedure. They disapearred all the same.

pljones wrote:My SSD gets my machine from cold boot to responsive Windows Desktop in about four seconds. No need for sleep for fastboot etc.
Yep. :) It's not 4 seconds here on my desktop machine, but it's hardly 8 seconds either.

Be careful with that, because there is whole screw up with it, happened to me once, got locked out from hard drive or something, don't remember correctly, Googled it, saw where all went wrong and how many others had to suffer trough same thing too with no apparent solution than re-install, learned my lesson...

Basic advice: never put anything in any folder Windows is managing. If you do, you're installing into a Windows-managed area and Windows will manage it. You want portable apps to be unmolested? Stick them under a different drive letter. The point of system restore is to ensure the Windows-managed areas look like Windows expects them to look. You put something there by hand, do a restore, Windows will go "that's not meant to be there".

If you turn on Windows restore on other locations, then you're asking for that behaviour elsewhere, too.

...thanks for the tip, but that wasn't so before. restore used to only touch Windows things, not the other files in place - for example, with VST, if I did a restore before, ALL my files would be in place, may not work - because of registry changes and other factors EXCLUSIVE to the actual files Windows came with.

I have installed a couple of DLL files manually (msvcr70-71) for some vst that were still in the system32 folder after a restore. Executable plugins that require passwords and such would still show the files, but not work properly. Never before has Windows actually restored EVERYTHING, even the presence of files, on the drive to a previous state. I'm now looking up Windows-managed files... to see just how deep that extends.

...right now I cant leave my PC on for more than a half hour without a crash. its ridiculous.

It does sound like an installation-specific issue, however -- I don't see many threads complaining about Win8.1 stability (think about how panned Vista got - and, indeed, that people might be interested in this thread's original topic). Win7 was not much of a change from XP, compared with Win8, so it's not surprising it has less compatibility problem. To be honest, I did a complete rebuild for Win8 -- the upgrade to 8.1 was flawless, though. It's been at least as stable as Win7 (which I switched to after XP, as soon as it was seen to be okay) and more stable than my XP machine (although that I believe was likely hardware-related).

Why is no one mentioning the single most important feature of sleep?

To get back to browsing kvr threads and gear/plugin sites in hundreds of tabs in your browser.

Oh and occasionally returning to the DAW/App to do some work. But, only occasionally.

:D
perception: the stuff reality is made of.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”