Other hosts that are modular like Tracktion?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

jens wrote:I guess the silence is due to everyone having fun with PIP in Reaper... ? :D
I can't enable it. The only relevant google result is ancient and only mentions how to enable it in Windows.

You need to open Reaper.ini and add the line

Code: Select all

pip_en=1
to its [Reaper] section.
Regardless of your operating system, you can always find the Reaper.ini by choosing
"Show REAPER resource path in explorer/finder..." in Reaper's Options menu. :-)
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Jens, could you link to some reaper forum threads that discuss this? Can't seem to find any but I know there was interest in this at one point on the forum. Cheers (I'm bladerunner over there btw)
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

jens wrote:Reaper.ini
Oh. I thought .ini files were just Windows for some reason.

I didn't realize PiP items would automatically render when I add them to a project, either. I guess that makes sense, but it doesn't seem much more efficient than rendering those projects myself and dropping the WAVs into another project.

jens wrote:I guess the silence is due to everyone having fun with PIP in Reaper... ? :D
Sounded awfully like Tracktion Edit Clips, actually.

http://www.tracktion.com/details-new/edit-clips
jens wrote:No, overview-wise I agree - I like the cables too - I think the matrix-es don't offer nearly as much immediacy in this regard...

Reaper offers up to 64 channels per item and up to 64 channels per track. Each of the track's channel can be routed to any other tracks' channel(s) and any of these receiving track-channels can the be routed anywhere again, including tracks where it causes feedback (if enabled for the project in the project-settings).
Yeah, that basically sounds like what I thought it was; very flexible channel routing, cheers. I'd kind of like to see more linear hosts go down the route MuLab has for its channel routing, though; sit the linear stuff in a traditional view, but have the cable view sat 'underneath' that with the track audio recorders etc present as actual modules. Makes sense to me to try and do the abstraction that way.
Am I mistaken in assuming Reaper is still the only host offering true feedback-routing? You still can't create feedback in a rack-filter, or can you?
Dont think you can in a Tracktion Rack Filter but feedback has always been possible in Bidule and Audiomulch and looks like it does in Usine Hollyhock. And MAX/MSP will allow it too, which is a bit more relevant now that you can use Max4Live devices directly inside it.
using PIP (project in project) any item can contain a complete other project (if you double-click a PIP-item, it explodes to a new project tab). Of course all the settings for each PIP project can be completely independent from the others (as PIP-items contain/access normal project-files). PIP is disabled by default, as it has eternal (apparently) beta-status, but works pretty much flawlessly if you keep it within reasonable limits.
PIP sounds very similar to Tracktion Edit Clips, I reckon.

http://www.tracktion.com/details-new/edit-clips
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

You might want to experiment with Tracktion again - since v5 you can route audio between tracks (via the properties panel) separately to rack filters. If you combine the two approaches you might get some feedback going.
ABLETON LIVE 12 & PUSH2
Soundcloud: Nation of Korea vs Shitty Dog

You know, it is good to know that I can still stir up controversy here at kvr without having any idea how I did it. :hihi:

In any case I have been playing with MuLab and Metaplugin and have been having fun. No deal killers have been discovered so far.

8)

So, then reaper it is?

MUX - MuTools.com has a very nice workflow and can be dropped into any DAW, the front-panel can be build with drag and drop from the meta-parameter containers (which is same the macros in AL/BWS), u have access to the last tweaked params of a VST(i) etc. and IMO it has the best Cubase rack instrument/quick control integration (creating some automation also is a one-click operation thx for the Rack Instruments)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=218TF-ecW-I

- http://www.mutools.com/mux-product.html
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

hibidy wrote:So, then reaper it is?
:hihi:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”