How popular is Spectrasonics Stylus RMX nowadays?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Could you pls advise?

Based on some youtube videos that I saw, it seems Spectrasonics Stylus RMX is rather easy to use. At least that is my personal impression.

However, this programme has been released since a long time ago. Does it still receive wide support from third-party developers? And can it be favorably compared to EzDrummer and other similar drum programmes?

My sincere thanks,

fantasyvn wrote:Could you pls advise?

Based on some youtube videos that I saw, it seems Spectrasonics Stylus RMX is rather easy to use. At least that is my personal impression.

However, this programme has been released since a long time ago. Does it still receive wide support from third-party developers? And can it be favorably compared to EzDrummer and other similar drum programmes?

My sincere thanks,
It is easy to use.
An drum plugin should be intuitive, so few are.
Stylus is quick and intuitive and does have lots of third party add-ons.

Having said that, the factory sounds are limited to 44.1 / 16 bit.
While it can sound good, Ezdrummer and other programs will sound better.

BUT both bring somethings important to the table.

EZ Drummer uses MIDI patterns to create drum loops, which makes it easy to change drum sounds. Stylus works with pre-sliced REX loops, so the sound you get is whatever is in the loop. REX also makes it difficult send individual sounds to different mixer tracks, although many of the Stylus sound sets have each individual drum sound in its own REX loop.

Where Stylus shines, is in modifying the loops. If you want a 7/4 loop, Stylus can generate one from a 4/4 loop. It is also a great tool for introducing randomization into REX loops. Stylus is a great deal when you can find it used, but be sure you get Stylus Expanded, which includes all the expansion packs.

Thank you for your advice. I did not know that the sound of Stylus may not be as good as other programmes.

I have used Stylus RMX quite a bit, and it is a mixed bag. A lot of the factory loops sound dated, it could use a good update. But, the individual sounds work well for me in a lot of situations. I also really like the functionality of the program. Once you get the hang of it, it is really powerful. It's pretty different from the Toontrack stuff, which I like a lot as well. I feel like Stylus gives me more tweak-ability and control.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”