TAL 101 Controller

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What if for example a Raspberry Pi could be modded to run TAL 101, and built into such a controller for a standalone hardware instrument ? :hyper:

Is TAL-BassLine-101 that good? I never gave it a serious try because it didn't have a sine waveform or ring modulation. Trying it just now it seems like it has a nice sound, but the waveforms are still probably a dealbreaker tbh...

Gates of H&I wrote:Is TAL-BassLine-101 that good? I never gave it a serious try because it didn't have a sine waveform or ring modulation. Trying it just now it seems like it has a nice sound, but the waveforms are still probably a dealbreaker tbh...
If you want a 101 emu with extra bells then check out D16 LuSH
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Not sure a RPi has the horsepower for that, you'd need linux then wine then a host with 101 hosted and obviously software to interface the knobs (unless you use usb midi, maybe another processor like an arduino just to handle the controls...)

There are a few synth projects floating around for RPi but they seem to be more of the 'digital synth' variety rather than heavyweight VAs.

Gates of H&I wrote:Is TAL-BassLine-101 that good?
yes.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

Rasberry Pi doesn't have enough CPU power.

Acid Mitch wrote:Rasberry Pi doesn't have enough CPU power.
How about Model B+ ?

http://www.raspberrypi.org/products/model-b-plus/

How much RAD did the first Receptor models ship with?

Gates of H&I wrote:Is TAL-BassLine-101 that good? I never gave it a serious try because it didn't have a sine waveform or ring modulation. Trying it just now it seems like it has a nice sound, but the waveforms are still probably a dealbreaker tbh...
Yes, very good. It's a SH101, no sine waves on the original either ;)

As someone else already wrote: If you need a 101 with MORE features, get Lush101. Also very good. But it can be overkill sometimes :D
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

Numanoid wrote:
Acid Mitch wrote:Rasberry Pi doesn't have enough CPU power.
How about Model B+ ?

http://www.raspberrypi.org/products/model-b-plus/
They all have the same 700MHz processor. Possible to overclock to 1GHz but still not enough.

If you really wanted a one-off all-in-one synth then you'd probably be best looking for an old windows laptop on ebay powerfull enough to run 101 (maybe with a busted screen or something) and transfer the guts to a custom case. Then wire up the controls through a smaller controller (arduino, teensy etc). Then you could plug in a display and keyboard to make updating/configuration easy.

Is this controller automated in the sense that if you tweak a knob on the computer GUI with your mouse, then the corresponding knob on the controller also moves?

Numanoid wrote:Is this controller automated in the sense that if you tweak a knob on the computer GUI with your mouse, then the corresponding knob on the controller also moves?
You mean 'is it motorized?' .... seems unlikely.

Yeah that'd be crazy expensive to produce I imagine, both for the motors and the color-changing LEDs you'd have to put on all the faders because otherwise what's the point.

It'd be cool to have something like that for ACE though. Surely there'd be no ramifications to knobs and sliders moving at super-audio rates!

thecontrolcentre wrote:You mean 'is it motorized?' .... seems unlikely.
Yup, that was what I meant.

It's not so cool to load up a preset, and get all those jumps in sound when you start tweaking it with the controller, because the sliders/knobs are not in the same place on that as on the computer GUI.

Rotary endless encoders with LEDs
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Rah wrote:Really cool, but personally, I'd be more inclined to spend that sort of moolah on an actual hardware synth, and stick to my existing controller to control my Tal Synths.
Exactly. Seems like there's a lot of backward thinking with these software controllers.
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

Return to “Instruments”