Reason has some flaws.

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Heh. The things you (OP) listed are not flaws but preferences. We all have them. We all get let down. But they are not flaws.

One day a DAW will come out that every inch is customize-able. Then someone will complain that the developer has no vision and it is too complex just to get started. 8)

thejonsolo wrote: One day a DAW will come out that every inch is customize-able. Then someone will complain that the developer has no vision and it is too complex just to get started. 8)
Reaper! :hihi:

Thejonsolo, I like your post made me laugh it's true.

I just meant cubase lets you add or decrease as many as you want. I'm just asking for flexibility.

The organisation in reason is poor when it comes to colouring tracks and mixing channels.

Reason is not easy to master! I know this since version 2! That time there were ads in the newspapers asking for Reason's advanced users to hire!

It is a complex DAW and was designed like this from the start. Yes, you can use it as other DAWs, but you are missing a lot by ignoring the power of the Cables "mess"! The learning curve is much steeper than any other DAW IMO. Still learning :)

I think Reason was pretty easy to use. Once you get the concept of CV and audio cables it's quite fun and easy to use.

I've been using it since Version 2.5 and i know multiple ways to use it, and I like the workflow but I've not been fond of the sound quality of most of the factory stuff now.

Sure In reasons defense, most of the stuff sounded great back when it first came out, but now you can get much better stuff in VST/AU land, or if you want to spend a lot of extra money get some RE devices. Honestly I got annoyed with propellerhead for not updating the factory stuff such as Thor, Redrum etc.

If i had been propellerhead.. i would have had them update the algorithms in the existing instruments. For compatibility reasons i would have left a switch option so all these devices would use the algorithms of past versions. This would prevent problems when loading old songs with new versions of Reason.

So basically In the latest version I would have updated all the filters to use stuff similar to the quality in Bazilles filters. I would have also made the modulations of all instruments run at true audio rate, and provided an extensive oversampling option.

So in a nutshell here's what I would have added. No I know that none of this stuff will ever happen, but hey i can dream can't I?

- Resizable GUI! If the original graphics used 3D models, then why have they not added this option??

- A Visualizer Rack device with a accurate Oscilloscope, Analyzer and Stereo image visualizer.

- Existing Instrument modulations & CVs would run at proper audio rate with oversampling options to prevent aliasing. This would make all the instruments and effects much more exciting to experiment with.

- Band Limited Oscillators for Thors Analog OSC section.

- Oversampling options for Thor, Subtractor, Maelstrom.

- Option to load your own wavetables into Thor & your own oscillators into Subtractors digital oscillator section.

- Improved saturation models in Thor, Maelstrom.

- Added a combined resonator and comb filter device which you could play.

- Chord progression tool similar to X-fer Cthulu.

- Polyphonic Sequencer upgrade for the Matrix with a increased step count and the ability to make it play in sync with a CV input. This would let you run a crazy CV signal into it and make it play the sequencer based on the standard or bi-polar inputs of the CV.

- 0dfb based filters for all of the filter models.

- Added a HQ Impulse based Reverb engine to the RV7000.

- Added the ability to use different mixer gain staging saturation algorithms that respond dynamically to the material in the master mixer. So this would let you could choose Solid-state, Tube, Tape or clean. This would offer users the ability to "warm" up their sound on each channel similar to Waves NLS.

- Added a multi-band splitter.

I could go on and on.. but there is honestly no point..
:borg:

use kong

use nnxt
a hell of a lot of slots
but not more than you need

you can photoshop a redrum with more than 10 slots and one with less,
it might help with the campaign.

V0rt3x. That what I meant by input lol. A lot more advanced stuff than what I want though, I just want extra channel strips and nice organisational colours and symbols for mixing darn it.

See plus I have started to use kong which I love, could be made a bit easier to wire to redrum, love using step sequencers. It should have it own really.

I'm not sure what you mean about the photoshop bit though,I have an idea, like make your own instrument ?

sometimes people make a picture to demonstrate what their suggestions would look like.

my first suggestions was not convoluted, it was a way to get exactly what you wanted with sequencer all on one channel,
most people don't want it all on one channel, who cares what most people want, you can and should customize it exactly to your needs.
then save the patch, and have it quickly available.

I consider this is a flaw (more than a request) on Props part.

Not including the ability to use AU and VST inside of Reason is a flaw in itself.

Now, I own and use Reason 8 as it is, along with Cubase 8, Logic X, DP8x and others.

The latest upgrade was nice as far as Im concerned. I just love using Cubase 8 as well.

But I would have no need of, and use NOTHING else but Reason iF kept everything it has now AND it had AU/VST plugin use, like the others...

They have to know this is a huge PLUS already and decided against it for some (no pun intended) reason...Limiting your self (not including the thousands of virtual synths,drums etc. available) shouldn't be one of the reasons for this choice, so I just don't know the answer as to why...

Or someone was paid well to not add it... (Speculative reaching here I know) ; )

For me, there are no serious flaws in Reason.

I don't want any 0df filters or oversampling options in the synths! I want the cpu to stay very low as it is now. I don't want Diva clones and I don't want another Cubase either! If I want Cubase and Diva, I buy them. The main point of having Reason is the workflow/low cpu usage/stability and how well everything is integrated together (For example, change the Kong kit, and all the names over the keys change in the piano roll, no need to hunt for a mapping ..etc). This is what makes me attached to Reason (although I really like the sound of the synths/effects, I just need to get my hands dirty little bit, but that is subjective). Anyway, nothing can prevent me from firing my VST host and enjoy my super-duper synths and effects and add Reason as a rewired device.

There are some enhancements to the already great workstation/DAW can be done like:
1. More Midi functions (like In Ableton's Live Piano Roll, "Inv" and "Rev" ..etc)
2. Rewire optimisation in cpu usage/multi cores.
3. Browser enhancements with Midi files Review (like in Cubase and Sonar) and better drag and drop functionality.

I think I read they are working on vectorizing the GUI, so the resizing would not be an issue in the future.

spikey wrote:Not including the ability to use AU and VST inside of Reason is a flaw in itself.
No, it's by design...

robojam wrote:
spikey wrote:Not including the ability to use AU and VST inside of Reason is a flaw in itself.
No, it's by design...
Some just have to have all daws be essentially... the same.
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

Maybe they fix flaws with R8.1

Apparantly users can work even faster in 8.1
Upgrade to Reason 8.1 today
Reason 8.1 brings a faster interface, a whole new look, faster creative flow and support for Propellerhead’s collaboration and sharing service. Drag and drop everything and everywhere. Find inspiring sounds instantly in the new browser. Share and collaborate using Propellerhead’s new music collaboration service.

Did any of you try Reaper? :hihi:
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”