How to record singer/songwritter?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I record vocals and guitar with a condenser mic. What is the ideal way to record my vocals and the guitar at the same time in the same place.

If you want a good recording you should probably record separately.

Ideally you would want to keep the separation so that you can more easily mix guitar and vocal. Maybe record a guide track, then play along on guitar to record the guitar track, and then record the vocal track to the guitar backing. You can then overdub either more guitar or vocal.

Also, when you record the guitar, if you have a second mic, try to close mic it and record the ambience with a mic slightly further away - that will allow you a lot of scope for mixing with both recorded tracks that pick up a different aspect of the guitar's sound.

The easiest method to get good results is two mics, each aimed at an optimal place for each source -- there are several; experiment and you'll like the results. Check for phasing anomolies. Maybe also a third mic or perhaps a stereo pair for depth and room ambience, but only if you have a good acoustic space.

If you mean "singer/songwriter" in the classic sense, you will want to record close for intimacy, and be sparing on any sort of coloring or echoes -- classic s/s is all about a close personal experience.

Don't rely on EQ to fix things; get it right from the beginning. This will take a lot of time and effort. Check for phasing anomolies.

For the guitar mic, aim it towards the bridge for brighter tones and crisper attack, towards the neck or soundhole for more warmth and depth, or maybe even several mics at differing locations if you want to experiment with overkill. Check for phasing anomolies. (I'm really not kidding about this one -- any time you have two or more mics you will have all sorts of weird shit happening.)
Wait... loot _then_ burn? D'oh!

What kind of mic would complement the condenser for guitar then vocals?

Ribbon mic?

Return to “Production Techniques”