Looking for a powerful granular effect plugin

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Sampleconstruct wrote:Here is some speech transformation with Melda's granulator. Speech is always a good source to display the capabilities of granular synthesis, as it relates to all (or most) of us and any transformation can be comprehended much easier:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w69-bxJOAlE
Funny, I always imagined your voice would sound EXACTLY like that.

Nighthawk77 wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:Here is some speech transformation with Melda's granulator. Speech is always a good source to display the capabilities of granular synthesis, as it relates to all (or most) of us and any transformation can be comprehended much easier:

LOL, but why would you even imagine what my voice sounds like :D

Sampleconstruct wrote:
Nighthawk77 wrote:

LOL, but why would you even imagine what my voice sounds like :D
Doesn't everyone? :wink:

This is getting weird….

:lol:

Love your videos and I love granular synthesis, but this plugin seems to have a very steep learning curve. The GUI also seems rather complex and I keep forgetting where this and that is located. I just spent the last evening messing around with it and the experience have both been great and frustrating at the same time. I need to spent some more time before biting the bullet at make the purchase. :tu:

Keep up the good work with the videos! :D
I can't lie to you about your chances, but... you have my sympathies.

Elevated_being wrote:

Love your videos and I love granular synthesis, but this plugin seems to have a very steep learning curve. The GUI also seems rather complex and I keep forgetting where this and that is located. I just spent the last evening messing around with it and the experience have both been great and frustrating at the same time. I need to spent some more time before biting the bullet at make the purchase. :tu:

Keep up the good work with the videos! :D
*edit
...And I would love some better feedback in the GUI, something like The Mangle + Saturn. You can always dream, right?
I can't lie to you about your chances, but... you have my sympathies.

Well, the developer will tell you that his GUIs are the best in the world so don't expect any changes in that respect. This plugin has so many different functions it would be impossible to display them all on one page. Melda plugins need to be studied and learned, otherwise you'll be lost and won't really use them or make the best of them. The visual feedback in crusherX for example is pretty fantastic.

And thanks for the flowers.

How does CrusherX compare to the granular tools in Reaktor? It looks very interesting!

blackflag wrote:How does CrusherX compare to the granular tools in Reaktor? It looks very interesting!
I recommend to try the demo, crusherX is the most outstanding granulator out there.

Thanks for the tutorials, Sampleconstruct! Some of them are very inspiring. :tu: In a few it seems a bit unclear what you're actually doing some of the time, but I think it dawned upon me after a while so perhaps that's mostly me... :P A little text in the video or a little suitably detailed breakdown of what you're doing as text beneath the video can sometimes go a long way towards making things clearer, but the majority of them where clear enough anyway so never mind if you don't feel like it.

BTW for those interested in crusherX: there's a "crusherX-Mac! 5 and crusherX-Studio! 5 2014 year end discount" thing going on now. €20.00 off the plugins and some of the bundles ("bundles" in this case just means crusherX and a soundset), €10.00 off on most of the upgrades on crossgrades. The dev has been amazing and mindblowingly swift in replying when I wondered about a few things before I purchased, I had concise answers for all my concerns within 40 minutes! That'll probably differ depending on when he sleeps etc, naturally. I definately consider him "one of the good guys".

For anyone lazy enough to appreciate it: you can download the demo for the PC plugin here and the Mac version from this page.

Thank you - these aren't actually tutorials, more public experiments and instructional displays. Until now I was too lazy to hook up a microphone and make some real step-by-step tuts for these plugins, although there is my tutorial series on granular synthesis where I actually explain things using my voice and a bigger part of my brain, but those vids are not plug-in related but subject-related.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... B6P-uogKV9

Finally got around to getting this magnificent beast. Really looking forward to playing with it - though I'm wondering if there are more comprehensive instructions - or are we meant to ask things in the forum?
Simon, i'm going to check your tutorials.

I posted a thread in the Melda forum about the granulator, so if you have questions maybe post them there.

Thanks for the notice - i'll check it out (I have Melda Granular as well).

I'm not sure Vojtech would appreciate me filling his forum with questions about CrusherX though?

*EDIT* I realise I didn't specify which beautiful beast.
So I meant CrusherX-Mac. I have Melda Granular, Salty Grain, Mangle, Granite, Padshop Pro, Mach Five and Reaktor, Max7 so you'd think I had more than enough but most of those cover *polite* territory and i'm after something that can do nasty. I demoed it using a simple bell-like patch from the MPower synth and it made this amazing Fennesz-like resonant feedback - which sold me on it :tu:
The English instructions are pretty hard to follow though and I want to do more than happy accident randomisation.
Last edited by secretkillerofnames on Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Effects”