Sample Logic releases CYCLONE RETWISTED - The Ultimate Sample Synth

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

stixman wrote:I wonder if Sample Logic are planning on updating Morphestra?
They did update it not too long ago. The interface was completely redesigned and there are some new patches, though I think the sample content is the same.

It was a paid update and I got it. I was expecting a lot more in the way of new sounds, but the new UI certainly allows for more creativity, though I find it quite fiddly and don't use it that often. Plus, the UI makes my computer stutter. When I minimize the UI, but keep the instrument playing the problem goes away. I just tend to use the original as I didn't really find anything particularly interesting in the new sounds anyway. I paid $49 when it first came out, but I wouldn't have been happy for $99 as it's more like the kind of update you get for free these days.

By the way, I'm not having a go a Morphestra or Sample Logic. I use Morphestra a lot, even though it's getting on a bit. Some people say it's dated, but I don't know, I've listened to the demos of all the new stuff out there and it sounds pretty much the same to me.

I think I paid about $300 for Morphestra and don't regret it at all. I use it all the time. The same can't be said for a lot of other Kontakt libraries I've bought.

BBFG# wrote:I mostly like their stuff, but never enough to justify the price (even during intro and sale pricing).
Hopefully, some dealer will do a stupid price making it worth considering.
True.
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

What really bugs me about these kind of sample-based libraries is this: the selling points are almost always focused on extensive FX & MIDI modulation devices / tools that can almost always be achieved using the tools inside your DAW of choice, yet we are supposed to be thrilled that we have this arsenal of bloated FX, steps sequencers and Arpeggiators available inside the sample library itself, as scripted in Kontakt. You know why I learned how to use all the compressors, fuzz boxes, arps, step sequencers, delays and other great devices that exist in my plug-in folder? Because they work, and I don't need nor want to ignore them and re-learn / re-use a completely redundant set of FX inside somebody's sample library. This isn't sound design via kontakt, it's Heavy Effects Processing 101, and seems to be the de rigour approach to sample libraries these days.

/end rant

(and to the fanboy here who likes to post "then don't buy it" in response to criticism, remember where you are: a forum isn't any good if the only 'discussion' is user's patting devs on the back and saying 'can't wait!')

mholloway wrote:What really bugs me about these kind of sample-based libraries is this: the selling points are almost always focused on extensive FX & MIDI modulation devices / tools that can almost always be achieved using the tools inside your DAW of choice, yet we are supposed to be thrilled that we have this arsenal of bloated FX, steps sequencers and Arpeggiators available inside the sample library itself, as scripted in Kontakt. You know why I learned how to use all the compressors, fuzz boxes, arps, step sequencers, delays and other great devices that exist in my plug-in folder? Because they work, and I don't need nor want to ignore them and re-learn / re-use a completely redundant set of FX inside somebody's sample library. This isn't sound design via kontakt, it's Heavy Effects Processing 101, and seems to be the de rigour approach to sample libraries these days.
/end rant
Rant perhaps, but a cogent one and I tend to agree overall.
I will say I usually succumb to the trickery of pre-programmed effects and will get that overall sense of character and even inspiration from it. The irony of course is that once I start using it, often find that turning the effects off or at least tailoring them down to 'subtle' is the first thing I have to do. And of equal time spent in making them truly useful is eliminating the arpeggiation/sequence. I don't mind them as much in being there (redundant or not) as much as not having a simple switch to turn them off with.

How these scumbags are still in business after the Guitar Center fiasco is beyond me.

yevster wrote:How these scumbags are still in business after the Guitar Center fiasco is beyond me.
A bit strong perhaps, even when it was happening. Their actions and response were far more damaging to themselves than MF/GC though and they seem to finally understand that. So they bit the bullet and took the loss on it and made good to those of us caught up by it. Made a lot of points with me personally. So much so I bought some of their cheaper sets just show no hard feelings.
Now I think it's about giving due credit for that 'fiasco' in communications and moving on from it since they eventually did the right thing.

Unfortunately, it doesn't change the market environment where the competition is greater and the demand for them has spread out to different companies. Supply, demand and market share are as much a factor as a niche demographic belief of who their market is (was).

Yeah, price is way too high. I could upgrade to Komplete Ultimate 10 for that and get more goodies to play with. It might be worth $99, but even then ...

Big pass.

KEv

I've always wanted Cyclone, even before the update, but like others have said .. the price is way too high. I would have a hard time justifying it at $100 less, even... and I've got serious GAS, too. :hihi:

I do have to say too that, while the sounds are even better than before, i think the UI was a step backwards. I know the old UI had some silly eye candy going that wasn't really needed, but overall I prefer it to the current version.

This is one of those things that'll probably always be on my "want, but won't ever get" list. :cry:

yevster wrote:How these scumbags are still in business after the Guitar Center fiasco is beyond me.
I just looked back at a few threads on that particular incident and ...wow i dunno if i want to buy from them now.

That's a shame..
:borg:

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”