Cockos ReaEQ: Expected Behavior or Bug?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Such a pity it can't be skinned either

woggle wrote:Design wise it is a poor choice because the behaviour is non-standard and leads to unexpected behaviour, particularly when automating where you would not necessarily see the filter type change. If the algorithm for the shelf filters does not allow for cut below 40dB then it should just limit controls to that range. Suddenly jumping to a different filter type is terrible design without demonstrating a significant advantage - after all ReaEq already has a low pass and high pass setting
My thoughts exactly.

If for some reason this actually is by design then it should be made visible on the UI and there should be an option to turn the behavior off.

If its not by design then the Gain slider range needs to be fixed so it ends (or begins, rather) with each modes negative maximum.

The way it is now is rather confusing, at first i didnt even realize that it is simply switching modes because nothing on the UI indicated it.

The Reaper interface is quite poor - very old school hacked together - which is fair enough for something that grew out of a personal project and was never really designed in the usual sense anyway. After all this time I can't see the interface ever getting better. I still use it though.

I still don't get why it's an issue; when would you have a 40dB cut on an EQ ever?

Return to “Effects”