How many compressors is enough?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Aiynzahev wrote:Maybe this many:

One thousand, one hundred and seventy six.
I thought when I bought that one I'd never want another. :help:

meh, mcdsp doesn't have vst :hihi:

I currently have ten (all freeware of course), and still think it's too many. For compressors and EQs I like to have gotos for certain tasks, to speed up my workflow. Like specific for drums, vocals, mixbus, etc. For compressors I'm pretty sure I could get by with Density III for vocals & mixbus, Molot, RoughRider and thrillseekerVBL for the character stuff, GranComp multiband comp for Bass and TDR Feedback Comp for everything else. Still am trying to find my spot in that.
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Ragnarök VST-synthesizer co-creator with Full Bucket

I tried to avoid GAS syndrome for compressors.
Tried. :oops:
My latest crazy track "The Quick Brown Fox sampled the Lazy Dog": http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 4&t=425647
15 Free DIVA Presets: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 8#p5892108

I settled on three compressors now (supercharger GT, Pro-C, Solid Bus Comp). But my GAS for synths and the like is much higher than compressors. I think the best answer to "how many compressors are enough" is "what you've got until something comes along that's just too good to pass up on".

Grammatically speaking, two compressors is enough.

But in practice, there is never enough (I have around seven I use regularly, and counting...)

I highly recommend the latest offering from Acustica Audio which is on pre-order right now. Titanium. It's going to turn some heads when it's out. Let me know if you want some audio demos.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Until your wallet bleeds LOL!!
http://waves.com/specials

@hibbidy, no I didn't think you were, it's all good. I know the type of posts your are referring too, and the type of forum!

bmanic wrote:I highly recommend the latest offering from Acustica Audio which is on pre-order right now. Titanium. It's going to turn some heads when it's out. Let me know if you want some audio demos.
WANT!!! :D

bmanic wrote:I highly recommend the latest offering from Acustica Audio which is on pre-order right now. Titanium. It's going to turn some heads when it's out. Let me know if you want some audio demos.
I'd be interested to hear your demos, bmanic.

TBH, the recent AA Acqua EQ and compressor plug-ins are pretty expensive compared to many other capable software products (including excellent Nebula programs, eg from AlexB), which are available nowadays at much cheaper prices.

Maybe Titanium will be a step up, or maybe it will just be expensive hype to be outclassed in a couple more years, we will see (and hear).

But at 119 Euros (or 109 Euros with the small current discount), it'll be interesting to learn how it stacks up.

Do these have the same latency as Nebula?

On a more serious note, I guess I use about 2-5, depending on the style of music. I try not to rely on compressors to "fix" or "add" something to a track, unless it's really obvious heavy compression used as an effect (Rough Rider still takes the cake here). Mostly, it's just Alloy and Ozone.

Rough Rider and SSL LMC used as parallel comp on rock drum bus are amazing! ;-)

twelvety is enough for local people (like me)

Return to “Effects”