DMG EQuilibrium

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

DaveGamble wrote:It seems plausible you may be in for a future of staring at my massive beard while I talk about EQ.
Dr. Gamble video sample:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQJbFFZiWVY
WEASEL: World Electro-Acoustic Sound Excitation Laboratories

antithesist wrote:
DaveGamble wrote:It seems plausible you may be in for a future of staring at my massive beard while I talk about EQ.
Dr. Gamble video sample:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQJbFFZiWVY
:o :o :o
:lol: :lol: :lol:
:D :D :D
:clap: :clap: :clap:
:phones: :phones: :phones:

mustgroove wrote:Small bug I've noticed - the "Digital + Phase" setting doesn't propagate to other instances when clicking "Propagate..." on the DSP page... not sure whether it's also the case on the "Render DSP" page
It works OK here:
SONAR x3 (64 bit)
Win 8.1 (64 bit)
John Braner
http://johnbraner.bandcamp.com
http://www.soundclick.com/johnbraner
and all the major streaming/download sites.

Hi! Got some more usability improvement requests :)

-Sensitivity preference for knob/graph value mouse-drag sensitivity, like in Voxengo plugins' global settings

and maybe something that likely won't happen but here it is anyway:

-Option for Pro-Q style display for selected band controls as big knobs at the bottom of the UI. This would allow precise mousewheel adjustments for every parameter when using the graph mode. (at the moment you can't mousewheel the frequency for example)

(maybe you could even have favourite band type shortcut buttons in there :ud:)

Cheers!

Hi Eleventh

As usual, some good suggestions. :)

You know that holding shift gives you ultra fine control when adjusting from the graph or Tooltips? This might go most of the way to achieve your first point.

Perhaps we can ask Dave to add an extra option for Mouse wheel control. At present mouse wheel adjusts Q or, when holding Ctrl / Apple, switches mouse wheel to Gain. A pref to allow switching one of these options to control Frequency could be good for some users yeah.

I quite like it the way it is already. By using mouse wheel and dragging on the graph, you have independent and fast control over frequency, gain and Q simultaneously. This is actually more control than you would get using two hands on hardware and you can still do it with your eyes closed! When you drag/lasso two or more bands at once to create inverted tilts etc this combo becomes more powerful still. I think this is the justification for having the controls as they are at present.

There is also a pref that allows you to use the Mouse wheel to zoom in on the graph when mousing over the "scroll bar" (Also activated from prefs) in case anybody missed that one. This allows for even finer editing and mouse resolution, especially when using the shift modifier ;)

I've also thought that having some way to save favourite band settings and being able to drop them in quickly would be really nice. Maybe a preference for selecting your default band types etc for Peak, Bells and Filters too would make for a faster workflow.

Cheers

Scorb
I once thought I had mono for an entire year. It turned out I was just really bored...

djscorb wrote:Perhaps we can ask Dave to add an extra option for Mouse wheel control. At present mouse wheel adjusts Q or, when holding Ctrl / Apple, switches mouse wheel to Gain. A pref to allow switching one of these options to control Frequency could be good for some users yeah.
Setup->GUI->Graph->Mousewheel Ctrl does exactly that.
I've also thought that having some way to save favourite band settings and being able to drop them in quickly would be really nice. Maybe a preference for selecting your default band types etc for Peak, Bells and Filters too would make for a faster workflow.
On the todo list already :)

Dave.
[ DMGAudio ] | [ DMGAudio Blog ] | dave AT dmgaudio DOT com

Is spectrum grab coming too?
:borg:

In the Equilibrium manual I read this statement:
"In Free phase mode, the phase graph (under the word Phase:) gains handles. You can zoom in and out, and adjust the handles to adjust the degree of phase inuence of each band."

How do I "...adjust the handles to adjust the degree of phase inuence of each band." ?
I don't have any handles (Equilibrium 1.50, Win7/32 Reaper 4.71), is there a video or something that shows/explains the Free Phase handle adjustment per band in detail? I can't make it go...Thanks! :)

EDIT: OK I got it now. I had 2 bands at 1KHz and 2KHz, the phase handles come in at 180 degrees as round green dots. I had the GUI set to small, the graph scale axis goes from -180 to +180, the green dot appears as a half circle at the bottom of the graph until I move it into the range of the graph more. I didn't see it at first since it appeared as 2 little crocodile eyes peering out of the swamp... :lol:
Now that I see them I can move them and see that the phase changes, still working on hearing it but that's another battle to solve some other time.

djscorb wrote: You know that holding shift gives you ultra fine control when adjusting from the graph or Tooltips? This might go most of the way to achieve your first point.
Of course I'm aware of this, but the current default sensitivity is way too coarse IMO, so I think we could use a preference to set the sensitivity. I don't want to be holding down the shift key every time I'm making adjustments. :neutral:

I'm trying to understand the difference between IIR and IIRDigital+Compensation modes -- trying to understand technically what the manual means by "the extra edge" on page 19. Are IIR and IIRDigital+Compensation modes supposed to yield different magnitude responses? I'm testing (running my DAW at 48,000Hz) on pink noise, with a bell filter at 22,000Hz, and when I turn Digital+Compensation on (set to 512) and off, I see no difference in the magnitude response shown in the Equilibrium analyzer. I also see no difference using Voxengo SPAN.

Is my method of testing defective, or is the difference too small to show up on these analyzers? Or have I misunderstood the purpose of IIRDigital+Compensation mode, and it's not actually about changing the magnitude response?

In FIR mode, for Phase, what's the difference between "analogue" and "zero-latency analogue"? The manual says,
Analogue and Zero-latency analogue provide the same cumulative minimum phase response as hardware.
Since they provide the same "cumulative minimum phase response" as each other, how do they differ?

vicoli wrote:I'm trying to understand the difference between IIR and IIRDigital+Compensation modes -- trying to understand technically what the manual means by "the extra edge" on page 19. Are IIR and IIRDigital+Compensation modes supposed to yield different magnitude responses? I'm testing (running my DAW at 48,000Hz) on pink noise, with a bell filter at 22,000Hz, and when I turn Digital+Compensation on (set to 512) and off, I see no difference in the magnitude response shown in the Equilibrium analyzer. I also see no difference using Voxengo SPAN.

Is my method of testing defective, or is the difference too small to show up on these analyzers? Or have I misunderstood the purpose of IIRDigital+Compensation mode, and it's not actually about changing the magnitude response?
I asked Dave this before, either in this thread, or the one in GS. I'm pretty sure he said it changes the phase response to be more like analogue phase, whilst still retaining the low CPU hit of IIR mode. Have a search here or on GS for "Digital+" in the relevant thread. If I find it I'll post the link too.

[EDIT] As to which sounds best for what, his answer was to try both and listen for yourself, spoken like a true audio expert! :)
Last edited by Hermetech Mastering on Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

(this isn't in reply to Hermtech's post above)

If choosing a minimum-phase option, what advantage is there to FIR-mode ("global
minimum", "analogue", or "zero-latency analogue") over IIR-mode ("Digital+Phase" off, or "Digital+Phase" on)?

IIR-mode has less latency and less CPU-demand (no?) than FIR-mode, so that's an advantage to IIR-mode; but what would be any advantage to FIR-mode for minimum-phase?

(edited to correct typos)
Last edited by vicoli on Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

vicoli wrote:In FIR mode, for Phase, what's the difference between "analogue" and "zero-latency analogue"? The manual says,
Analogue and Zero-latency analogue provide the same cumulative minimum phase response as hardware.
Since they provide the same "cumulative minimum phase response" as each other, how do they differ?
One has latency? :hihi:

Hermetech Mastering wrote:
vicoli wrote:I'm trying to understand the difference between IIR and IIRDigital+Compensation modes -- trying to understand technically what the manual means by "the extra edge" on page 19. Are IIR and IIRDigital+Compensation modes supposed to yield different magnitude responses? I'm testing (running my DAW at 48,000Hz) on pink noise, with a bell filter at 22,000Hz, and when I turn Digital+Compensation on (set to 512) and off, I see no difference in the magnitude response shown in the Equilibrium analyzer. I also see no difference using Voxengo SPAN.

I asked Dave this before, either in this thread, or the one in GS. I'm pretty sure he said it changes the phase response to be more like analogue phase, whilst still retaining the low CPU hit of IIR mode. Have a search here or on GS for "Digital+" in the relevant thread. If I find it I'll post the link too.
Thanks for answering, but wouldn't what you're describing be covered by "Digital+Phase" mode, rather than "Digital+Compensation" mode?

I'll Google for Equilibrium on KVR; I haven't seen that thread before. Thanks very much.

Return to “Effects”