How many compressors is enough?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ti thgim mees taht gninwo elpitlum srosserpmoc si sdrawkcab, tub I kniht s'ti yltcefrep lamron.

syawynA enoyna ereh wno erom naht net srosserpmoc?
Last edited by V0RT3X on Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
:borg:

If you have 10 different compressors on one track, you switch them off and everything sounds better, it's time to sell a few of them! :P

:lol:
Last edited by V0RT3X on Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
:borg:

ariston wrote:Here's a conversational bone: the more amateur you are as a musician/pro-du-cah, the more compressors (you think) you need.

Not making friends here, nope. :D
Hey man, you;ve made a friend in me!

Also, people in this thread fail to read what you actually wrote. You only said the more amateur you are, the more you THINK you need. Not anything about actually owning and using them.

CLA's sound comes from CLA, not from specific compressors. He could achieve within 95% of what he does with a single/very few compressor plugins. If you think otherwise, then tell me why you arent pumping out CLA level mixes with his signature series? Exactly. Because it's the engineer, not the tools.

It would be awesome to see what CLA could do with stock plugins. But of course everything I've seen him work on already sounded really good.
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

Any of these guys with a copy of PT would hit the spot. It would take them longer as it would probably f-up their workflow.

Even though CLA's got a ton of outboard apparently he keeps a lot of things at fixed settings that he likes, literally uses them as presets! I read that in SOS mix article I think.

The thing with the CLA plugins and such like it is that they make the technical setup side easy, but they can't give u the experienced ear with how to use them

Well, the topic IS how many are too many, so regardless of the side you are on, it's obviously fine to state your opinion. But I've seen way too many people on forums belittling people who have have too much gear. If I was broke and had to go desert island for a compressor I could probably get by with one, but where is the fun in that? :hihi:

i wish i could say one, two at most..
i really love the compassion comp., really sweet workflow. good visual feedback but not to fancy, my bread and butter comp. at the mo.
i also love gto revC at mo.. it just makes my stuff sound fuller without tweaking to much.
i will come back and reply to this thread when i can honestly admit i know what i am doing with a 'compressor'..
so, could be a long while : )

@hibidy, I'm not sure how my comments read, but I wasn't passing judgement on people who buy loads of comps (or anything else for that matter), or even suggesting to not buy plugins. If anything I'm expressing a personal frustration with the realisation that it's the experience and not the gear that makes the biggest difference, the kind of thing that most people here already know, but for some reason it took me a while to really appreciate that very simple and obvious fact. That's the perspective I'm coming from in my posts. As it goes I'm not actually a necessity buyer, the fact that it's a hobby to me I feel why not treat myself every now and then.

VariKusBrainZ wrote:Eleventy three
:hihi:

Maybe this many:

One thousand, one hundred and seventy six.
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

kenobi77 wrote:@hibidy, I'm not sure how my comments read, but I wasn't passing judgement on people who buy loads of comps (or anything else for that matter), or even suggesting to not buy plugins. If anything I'm expressing a personal frustration with the realisation that it's the experience and not the gear that makes the biggest difference, the kind of thing that most people here already know, but for some reason it took me a while to really appreciate that very simple and obvious fact. That's the perspective I'm coming from in my posts. As it goes I'm not actually a necessity buyer, the fact that it's a hobby to me I feel why not treat myself every now and then.
Oh, it wasn't anything personal towards anyone. It's just that in all the years I've been doing this there are quite a few people who think that people that like new toys are the scurge of the earth and they should just be using that one comp that came with (name host here)

Maybe I was kinda being a dick. I really didn't mean to, I just think that there is a reason many people have more than one comp. I joked earlier about it and I know that some people just buy shit and don't have a clue how to use it, but I think there are many reasons to have a buttload of comps. Not just "I want all the toys"

:)

Exactly the number you need... no more, no less.
WEASEL: World Electro-Acoustic Sound Excitation Laboratories

Who's in charge: you or The GAS Entity?

That's actually a really good question!

Return to “Effects”