Fools Rush In - ElectroProg (Seismic Gridlock)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I really enjoyed this one. I like the feedbacky sounds kind of writhing in the background. Good stuff. Thanks, seismic1.
No longer a moderator.

Alias9593 wrote:Nice atmosphere, nice synths, I like it, Tim. :phones:
Deserve all the positive comments :clap:
Thanks for listening and commenting, Christian. Glad you enjoyed it :)

I'm going to start on Part 2 this weekend. There is some harmonic stuff going on with the pads and B2 that isn't so readily apparent here. I want to use that as a basis for something a little different.

Doom-laden and sombre... how could this not be up my street? :)

Fantastic moody atmospherics here Tim, yes, badass bottom end, drifty piano, lovely feedback synth, nicely contrasting close beat. Have to agree with Frantz and say the techno arp felt a bit out of place to me.

Nevertheless, very enjoyable listen, cheers Tim! :tu:

aahhh yes, the daily whatnot, I hear ya...
Image Image

Synchanter wrote:Beautiful mix, warm and bassy but clear with no mud.
Ah Tassman, and B2 I see, wonderful sounding plug-ins.
Thanks very much for the listen and the great comments, Synchanter :)

This is the first time I have used Tassman and B2 on a complete track. It won't be the last :)

interesting composition and arrangement.. slow and tense ambiance .. well done soundtrack for the dark trails

folderol wrote:Mmmm. Full of ominosity :o
Short, and to the point. Thanks very much for checking this out, folderol :)

Congrats for the (pre)master, warming at right point! ;-)

Dark but not scary. Seems more like introspective analysis of the mind rather than a 'stab you in the eye-horror-theme'.

Production is...typical you? Which is excellent.

Frantz wrote:0:00 The opening chords are majestic and mysterious. Something special is in store for us.

0:52 Deep, doomy bass notes resonate off the walls. We have entered a vast, ancient catacombs. A steady rhythm builds increasing the tension.

3:00 The rhythm drops out. Bass and piano dance about signaling danger. What mystery awaits us? Has something terrible been lying dormant in this tomb, undisturbed for centuries?

3:33 We have gone even deeper into this godforsaken structure. The bass is now a distant moan. The tension is unbearable. What ancient terror lies ahead?
Thanks very much for the detailed critique, Frantz. Glad you liked the first 4 minutes :)

Catacombs, tomb. Sounds like we have picked up where "Altar" left off.
Frantz wrote: 4:04 Oh no, it's Generic Bouncy Techno Synth. :party: :dog:

Talk about an anticlimax. This odd sound choice has completely killed the mood for me. I'm done.

The mix is perfect. The composition is excellent and most of the sounds are very good. I just wish you would choose your sounds more carefully. Strings, mellotron, brass, etc. would have been consistent with the mood you were building but, for me, Generic Bouncy Techno Synth doesn't work at all in this context. At least that's my completely subjective take on it.
It never really crossed my mind to use strings or mellotron on here. I didn't want to cover up those synth pads. Having said that, an old-school string synth (Solina) might work quite well over the slow bassline. Something like Ommadawn Part 1.

GBTS from The Inn of the Prancing Piglet. I wasn't actually aiming for a Techno sound, but an older, '70s Berlin vibe. I might take a look at that when I get some time.

Thanks again for the great comments and critique :tu:

TrekStar wrote:I like the main theme. the tune itself is for my personal taste a bit too Long - but nevertheless I think you've created a good arc of suspence there...

greetings

wolf
Thanks very much for taking the time to listen and comment, wolf. I keep promising myself that I'll get back to shorter pieces next time, but it doesn't seem to work out that way. Your patience is appreciated :wink:

seismic1 wrote: It never really crossed my mind to use strings or mellotron on here. I didn't want to cover up those synth pads. Having said that, an old-school string synth (Solina) might work quite well over the slow bassline. Something like Ommadawn Part 1.

GBTS from The Inn of the Prancing Piglet. I wasn't actually aiming for a Techno sound, but an older, '70s Berlin vibe. I might take a look at that when I get some time.
It never occurred to me that you were going for a 70s TD thing with that synth. When the big Moog made it's entrance in 70s TD, it was majestic and powerful. This particular synth is kind of dinky and generic. IMO it doesn't have the presence to maintain the drama that has been building. Solina could work here very well too.

What's GBTS?

Frantz wrote:
seismic1 wrote: It never really crossed my mind to use strings or mellotron on here. I didn't want to cover up those synth pads. Having said that, an old-school string synth (Solina) might work quite well over the slow bassline. Something like Ommadawn Part 1.

It never occurred to me that you were going for a 70s TD thing with that synth. When the big Moog made it's entrance in 70s TD, it was majestic and powerful. This particular synth is kind of dinky and generic. IMO it doesn't have the presence to maintain the drama that has been building. Solina could work here very well too.

What's GBTS?

Generic Bouncy Techno Synth. In this case I was using Rapture. In Hot Hog Infusion it was SynthMaster.

seismic1 wrote:Generic Bouncy Techno Synth.
Not my most brilliant question. :dog:

Frantz wrote:
seismic1 wrote:Generic Bouncy Techno Synth.
Not my most brilliant question. :dog:
Bad day? :wink:

seismic1 wrote:Bad day? :wink:
It's been one of those months. Just need to survive another 1.5 weeks and then my vacation starts. 8)

Return to “Music Cafe”