iZotope Iris 2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Annual Subscription for Iris Presets Iris 2

Spitfire31 wrote:
TwoToneshuzz wrote:I'm pretty happy with the price of the upgrade when the rough edges get filed down a bit…
I bought the upgrade now because my gut feeling is that the huge amount of the work that's gone into making the many excellent sound libraries will push these start up issues/glitches out of the path soon enough..
Just buying the upgrade for those that are interested in this synths workflow moving forward ensures that developers will have some signals that their efforts in getting things set right will payoff!
You should only ever buy what exists, not sweet promises or assumptions. IMHO, of course… ;-)

/Joachim
+1000

This is a good example:
http://www.ursplugins.com/news.html

Caine123 wrote:
BBFG# wrote:Iris 2 upgrade: $83.99
Bazille: $89.00
Why does stupidity not hurt sometimes...?
It wasn't meant to hurt you, just inform that the upgrade is still less than the other synth.

I admit, for those prices, I picked them both up.
Haven't spent any real time with Iris2 yet as it took three days to get the license and another to download the content through someone that has no download limits. Holiday now hits and I probably won't get around to having it fully installed until the weekend.
I also haven't spent much time with Bazille yet either though.

Thing is, they're both in a category of exercising the synapses more than production for me. And that makes having to start from scratch with this new version to not be any real problem. With Simon doing so much for all of us in reporting these 'bugs' and Izotope support responding, I think I can also exercise a modicum of faith in the product right now.

Of course they will eventually fix all the issues, why would they announce this via Brad in this thread and then fail at it? Why would they demand test-files and more bug reports, if they were not going to face and fix the mess they made. I think more public suicide is definitely not on their agenda. And of course many Iris 1-users will still be underwhelmed by the update and pass on it, especially in the context of the recent update-gates, and sure Iris-haters will continue to hate just as much as Iris lovers will continue to love this instrument. After all it is a unique instrument, despite all it's limitations and all the missed feature-updates which so many of us expected, but let's wait and see how this evolves and I'm sure it will evolve.

I almost finished a feverish, dreamy day of bringing things into order in my new System Yosemite..

Bought the Aqualignum, and Ambient Strings downloaded and installed them, with new installs of Mach V and Alchemy

Downloaded and installed the new Machine 2.2 update got the controller working

Downloaded and installed all the AAS stuff that's 64 bit compatible LL EP-4, String Studio VS-2 Ultra Analog UA-2, Chromaphone and the Cardinals, ChromaZone, Modelled Reality banks

Downloaded and installed Logic X

Downloaded and installed Iris 1 and Iris 2, Trash 2 and the updated Stutter Edit.

Only programs that I could not get to install on a fresh Yosemite disk was Halion 5, Halion Sonic, and Padshop Pro!!

Still missing a few odds and ends, but I'm mostly pleased with the results. iZotope plugin worked fine, and no issues with authorising the new disk.. Iris 2 looks more serious in it's new clothes..
waves break, but somehow it all makes sense.

If iZotope fixes the bugs and reworks Iris 2 so that it is backwards compatible with the Iris 1 library then I will probably buy the Iris 2 upgrade provided the upgrade price is below $100. If my Iris 1 libraries are not backwards compatible then I will not bother with the new version.
------------------------------------------
Gribs

Gribs wrote:If iZotope fixes the bugs and reworks Iris 2 so that it is backwards compatible with the Iris 1 library then I will probably buy the Iris 2 upgrade provided the upgrade price is below $100. If my Iris 1 libraries are not backwards compatible then I will not bother with the new version.
I keep my Iris 1 classic so I can play my gargantuan sets of sounds from Patchpool and the complete series of six+ libraries from iZotope.

Generally though I would just be looking to upgrade material to Iris 2 that I need. Or if I'm forced to at some point because the Old version of Iris doesn't get upgraded to work with a future OS.. Though can see having a dual system setup, as would be handy right now with the Sternberg: Padshop Pro and Halion 5 plugs which can't be installed on a freshly formatted Yosemite system disk. Existing installs work on an upgraded system though..
waves break, but somehow it all makes sense.

Just some general thoughts -- it's good to see Izotope here. Really and truly, it's reassuring. With that said, I'm being a pessimist here -- for me personally, I don't see the situation being resolved to my satisfaction. The likely outcome as I see it:

v1 patch conversion will probably happen in some form. Some things won't translate over, which is understandable. But I think Izotope will find a solution to satisfy most folks. I also think a v2 update will address some things that seemed to be arbitrarily dropped or changed, such as max envelope release times (from 10s back to the original 30s). Other 'wish list' things may be addressed too. These are all good things, and Izotope should be applauded for listening.

BUT -- my original gripe with v2 will probably stand. Izotope, from what I can see, has fundamentally changed the direction/vision of Iris. Putting my cynical pessimist's hat on, I think Izotope went after the dubstep kids and subtractive crowd. We're not going to see next week, next month, or even next year, more advanced spectral brushes. v1 was a promising/exciting app full of possibilities that could've been KILLER in v2. Instead, Izotope threw down the gauntlet and said "you're getting a subtractive synth with a spectral filter." Everything from taking down the old cook books to the new videos have telegraphed where Iris v2 and beyond is going.

Maybe I'm wrong. I hope I'm wrong. Maybe Izotope can manage to include timestretching in v2.5 sometime in 2015 to at least bring some of that audio geek alchemy.

As a guy that primarily plugs in a guitar/bass, Iris was the only synth I paid real, substantial money for because it had a vision. It's disheartening now because I feel my money/trust were misplaced. Which is no big deal. Companies change. They're allowed to go after different segments. Guys like me don't appear to part of their long-term plan, which is fine... my $ will chase the companies whose tools that I want.

Probably the only way I'll upgrade is if Simon or a 3rd party comes along and says you have to hear these v2 patches -- something that blows the doors off of what can be done in v1. It's probably not going to happen before the December 11 special upgrade price expires.

Sigh... still holding onto some hope. Surprise us, Izotope.

swartzfeger wrote:BUT -- my original gripe with v2 will probably stand. Izotope, from what I can see, has fundamentally changed the direction/vision of Iris. Putting my cynical pessimist's hat on, I think Izotope went after the dubstep kids and subtractive crowd. We're not going to see next week, next month, or even next year, more advanced spectral brushes. v1 was a promising/exciting app full of possibilities that could've been KILLER in v2. Instead, Izotope threw down the gauntlet and said "you're getting a subtractive synth with a spectral filter." Everything from taking down the old cook books to the new videos have telegraphed where Iris v2 and beyond is going.

Maybe I'm wrong. I hope I'm wrong. Maybe Izotope can manage to include timestretching in v2.5 sometime in 2015 to at least bring some of that audio geek alchemy.
I hope you're wrong too but it is hard to disagree with your analysis.

Thing is, I really don't think the dub step/subtractive crowd is going to buy this synth. It is not a synth that is ever going to have a zillion presets released for it, and generating a sound from scratch with it is so much harder than twisting a few knobs in Sylenth or Massive.

If this is who Izotope hope to sell this synth too then they're not going to get much revenue. The EDM patch designers are not going to leap on it.

What this synth is good for is exemplified by Simon's work.

It is a synth for geeks and experimentalists. And it could be something even better and more interesting.

lnikj wrote:
swartzfeger wrote:BUT -- my original gripe with v2 will probably stand. Izotope, from what I can see, has fundamentally changed the direction/vision of Iris. Putting my cynical pessimist's hat on, I think Izotope went after the dubstep kids and subtractive crowd. We're not going to see next week, next month, or even next year, more advanced spectral brushes. v1 was a promising/exciting app full of possibilities that could've been KILLER in v2. Instead, Izotope threw down the gauntlet and said "you're getting a subtractive synth with a spectral filter." Everything from taking down the old cook books to the new videos have telegraphed where Iris v2 and beyond is going.

I hope you're wrong too but it is hard to disagree with your analysis.

Thing is, I really don't think the dub step/subtractive crowd is going to buy this synth. It is not a synth that is ever going to have a zillion presets released for it, and generating a sound from scratch with it is so much harder than twisting a few knobs in Sylenth or Massive.

If this is who Izotope hope to sell this synth too then they're not going to get much revenue. The EDM patch designers are not going to leap on it.

What this synth is good for is exemplified by Simon's work.

It is a synth for geeks and experimentalists. And it could be something even better and more interesting.
And why can't it become a tool for audio geeks and the EDM crowd?

It's funny, I'm still a big fan of Absynth and I use it in a very specific way. Put me firmly in the "experimental audio geek" camp. When I bought KORE, it came with a ton of Absynth patches that were your standard bread-and-butter synth sounds. I was actually a bit surprised at how well it worked in that realm. Now, I don't go to Absynth for those sounds, but I imagine if I was starting out and wanted a single synth I could make my wub-wubs with and some cool ambient pads (Wubient?) Absynth would be a fine place to start. So iZotope decided to try to expand it's user base. I don't hold it against them, but I will echo the sentiments of others and say that I hope they also keep looking forward and adding features to Iris 2 that keep pushing that envelope.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Don't forget iZotope want to make money with Iris 2 and why promoting like: this is "only" for experimenting people.

They tease it also for EDM to get more people for it ;) The group of experimental people are to small to get enough money so
focusing also on EDM, Dubstep ...
Synth Anatomy
http://www.synthanatomy.com
Sound Design and Software / IOS Synthesizer Videochannel

MillerSam wrote:Don't forget iZotope want to make money with Iris 2 and why promoting like: this is "only" for experimenting people.

They tease it also for EDM to get more people for it ;) The group of experimental people are to small to get enough money so
focusing also on EDM, Dubstep ...
exactly, look how silent Izotope is again lol! thats what i call true customer care and f***ing over iris v1 users and leeching their money.
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Dude it is a holiday. I make money off people too, but I get a day off, and my irate customers can take a hike on my day off, no matter WHAT it is, even if I am in the wrong! And I tell them, take a day off, you will feel better.

So Caine123, take a day off. Feel better. On Monday, bash em.

Jon

It´s not only the experimental crowd, Iris could be marketed for the cinematic and ambient crowd much better, it certainly always makes me happy when I spot some of my Iris material in a TV movie, the EDM crowd certainly is the totally wrong target group, but hey, do the really need all our advices on their marketing, I guess they're already paying the (wrong) people for this job.

The current problem with the v1->v2 conversion is a huge bug which obviously requires much more re-coding than a quick hotfix coded over the weekend, read Brad's comments here again in that respect. If they don't recode some of Iris 2, a 1:1 conversion won't be possible anyway, manual adjustments after a general conversion would still be necessary. So give them time if you're after a reliable solution, if you're a new Iris 2 user, ignore all of this and enjoy your new instrument.

I'm sure Izotope want to make money MillerSam, and, oops, I should have mentioned cinematic/ambient in my post. Ambient is what I use it for after all!

Of course Iris can be used to make any sort of sounds, let's just see though how many EDM soundsets have been made for it by third party patch developers in a year's time and you can tell me that I'm wrong then :D

I'd like to buy Iris, all things considered. I like Simon's experimental and ambient stuff but wonder how complicated it is to create such material? I have used to work with field sounds so I'm not much of a synth programmer.

Return to “Instruments”