Recording live voice/instruments, or mixing beats?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion

What do you use your DAW for?

Recording full voice tracks
18%
Recording full instrument tracks ( e.g. guitar, bass, etc. )
27%
Sample based production
21%
Beat creation
18%
Other
16%

Total votes: 67

RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm curious to see what the numbers are like for users who are producing full vocal and/or instrument tracks as opposed to mixing samples and beats. I'd suspect that the numbers are leaning towards mixing beats and working with samples, but I could be wrong ( hence the post )

Please specify in the poll which cases may apply to you ( can check multiple options ).

cpu

You could indeed be wrong ... I voted everything.

I checked all but samples. I just want to record my playing and have vst effects available.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

thecontrolcentre wrote:You could indeed be wrong ... I voted everything.
Me too. I don't quite know why anyone would be so narrow in their approach for only one of those to be true.

Everything but recording instruments.

All instruments are ITB.

right now I am finishing up a song that feature my baritone, and a lot more (I will be extremely disappointed if this song is not done by xmas). The only VSTi is jamstix, no synths (hardware of software), by the end of the song I will use over 30 tracks just on guitar (including bass I will be using 6 different guitars with 5 different tunings, three different tube amps with six different settings and five different power tubes).

I have other songs with more VSTi's than guitar and just one guitar track, s forgive me I dont get the point of the poll. I also do not understand the limiting of yourself, the fact is that a song evolves and I dont focre songs, I just follow where the take me. If that means samples and VSTi's that's fine, if it's all guitars that's fine, if it's mostly hardware synths that's fine, if it's just my acoustic that's fine too.

I rather not set any rules on my creativity :shrug:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Wow, this is surprising! For some reason I assumed that most people here would be doing the sampling and beats thing. It's good to know that there is a good variety of musical styles going on here.

Keep the votes coming! It's always better to have the data than make assumptions :D

"You could indeed be wrong ... I voted everything."

Awesome. I can handle being wrong, as long as I get set straight in a timely manner ;)

cpu

Might have worked better as one-option poll with the question what people MOSTLY use their DAW for, because there is so much overlap. :)

Personally, I use my DAW(s) for everything except recording vocals, but not in equal proportions. It actually depends on the DAW. When I use Renoise, almost everything is sample-based, with some synths. When I use Reaper, most of what I do is recording instruments (trying to get the hang of doing MIDI stuff in it.) When I use FL Studio, it's a mixture of everything, but with a focus on synths and other virtual instruments. I'd still like to just use one DAW for everything, but they all have individual strengths. (There's also Tracktion and Mulab that I use at times!)

What are beats?

I use my Reaper for everything except for cooking & shopping...

I use FLStudio9 for composition of structure song: drums (as multichannel, usually 6 channels), piano\synths (with my minimal Terratec master keyboard) and follow the flow with guitar or electric bass (it depends by song genre) but without record...

... After I export all single tracks to 24bit\44khz and load all tracks (with relative bus\groups) in Nuendo5 or S1 and start to rec el bass, guitars, vocals and at least the guitar solos (usually with this order)...

... I stop all and i take a pause of 1\2\3 days... Or continue to rec other songs (if is a project)...

... After I start mixing... That's all!

I haven't heard people talk about beats for a while, it seemed like it was more of the trying to put together a song, rather than already being a musician and going forward from there.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

@RunBeerRun: I fully approve what you said but I have some friends that works just with beats\loops\remixes etc etc... And with time I learned to respect this kind of work, at the end they mix and mastering like a pop\rock song... It's just another kind\way of composition...

But not everyone puts together songs - a lot of people here seem to write music without vocals.

It's about the terminology, reducing the art of music to beats, loops, drops and risers like so many do, seems very narrow minded, ignorant and uneducated IMHO. But who cares, it's not important....

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”