Soundtoys Black Friday : which plug is a must have ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello guys and gals !

Saw the BF sales on Soundtoys products and I'd like to get some of them.
I'm already aiming at Decapitator for a long time, and I'm also curious about Echoboy and Crystallizer. In your opinion, which are "must have" tools in their product range ?
Thanks for your inputs ! :)

Demo them all first. I have them all I would hate to pick just one. Some are used more than others but sometimes the one I don't use as much is really needed for some things.

Echoboy is the most featured and useful it's crammed full of algos emulating vintage hardware delays, chorus, some old fashioned tech reverbs and you can you use it as analogue tape distortion if you set the delays to zero. it has a huge amount of presets. So Echoboy would be my first buy more for your money.

If I had to choose between Decapitator and Radiator I would choose Radiator because it does a similar thing but more uses such as taming harsh highs with just the input and mix knob and giving a more interesting sound to tracks. You can really smash drums with it but not as much as Decapitator can. Radiator is more impressive on bass synth and bass guitar than any other tube distortion I've tried.
Radiator comes with a little version that was great put after a clean EQ to give it some vintage qualities.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJJ5hQwWGY8#t=122

Hey thanks Kaboom !
Well I already have Radiator, Microshift and Devil-Loc (and little Primal Tap). I love Radiator, I use
it very often (on vox, drums, bass etc.). I enjoyed Decapitator during a demo period last year and
was eager to get my hand on it but missed the Black Friday 2013. Echoboy seems to be a very powerful toolbox. Really interested by its weird reverberations possibilities too...I also checked some videos
concerning Crystallizer and it seems to be a pretty strange but cool beast (love these reversed/glitchy delays). I own Timeless2 from FB so maybe I don't need any of these two units...

I use EchoBoy and FilterFreak the most. Then MicroShift. But that doesn't mean the others are not good. It depends which effect you use the most. If you never use delays for instance, don't buy EchoBoy ;)

But if you can stretch it. Go for the native pack. You won't regret a dime :D
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

deft_bonz wrote:I use EchoBoy and FilterFreak the most. Then MicroShift.
Ditto. These are some of my most used plugins.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | SX7

deft_bonz wrote: But if you can stretch it. Go for the native pack. You won't regret a dime :D
please....I'm fighting this as it is! :hihi: :ud:

But seriously. I haven't' demoed their pay stuff on my own system, but have used Decapitator and Echoboy on other peoples rigs and always like what they do and very easy to dial in something fitting (amazing how well they've held up for relatively old plugins within the current pace of improvements). I have some of the freebies, I think Little Radiator is just great.

I'm also a timeless2 owner (and Volcano and Saturn for that matter) so debating whether or not I really should "get involved" with this offer. The shiny new toys always look/sound so much more attractive then they ones you have. It's a time when perhaps my appreciation for the free plugs might just tip the balance. Hmmm..... :?

I own The Drop and Filterstation so I don't know if Filterfreak would be a wise buy (apart of my GAS).
Crystallizer is sold for $73.99 at Audiodeluxe. Maybe a combo Echoboy/Crystallizer could be a great creative addition.

deft_bonz wrote:I use EchoBoy and FilterFreak the most. Then MicroShift. But that doesn't mean the others are not good. It depends which effect you use the most. If you never use delays for instance, don't buy EchoBoy ;)

Shut up. Be quiet all of you. Endor-8o8, why did you have to start this thread? :help:

lnikj wrote:
deft_bonz wrote:I use EchoBoy and FilterFreak the most. Then MicroShift. But that doesn't mean the others are not good. It depends which effect you use the most. If you never use delays for instance, don't buy EchoBoy ;)

Shut up. Be quiet all of you. Endor-8o8, why did you have to start this thread? :help:
:lol: keep your hands away from that paypal confirmation !

Not interested in them all just Crystalliser, Echoboy and possibly Phase Mistress (stupid names). I might have gone for the bundle if that was 50% off too.

I like filterfreak but Cytomic killed it. It's still good for its simplicity though.
Last edited by Kaboom75 on Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

I keep wondering about buying the Native bundle. I even ordered my iLok 2 this morning. Since then I've sold a Strymon Big Sky reverb pedal and a TC BMC-2 monitor controller, the proceeds of which would more than cover the bundle. Hmmmmmm...

The bundle includes a free upgrade to Soundtoys 5 no? Which will then include all of their plugins.

I spent close to $800 the last 4 months to get all of them, soon to pay more for the 5 upgrade,
so this is a no brainer deal as I see it.

The plugins are top, I use at least one on almost every track. The Drop replaced Filterfreak, but even that is still a great plugin.

Well I finally bought Decapitator and Echoboy. I might try the demo for Crystallizer and Filterfreak...

It's not letting me pay using Paypal - every time I try it throws up an error!

Return to “Effects”