Women in the music industry...

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Kriminal wrote:
vurt wrote:so... women cant drive?
You got that right :x
I really wish mine did, 18 years of driving her everywhere she needs to go is getting very old :?
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

All the women I know just crawl everywhere. That's why they have scuffed elbows.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

RunBeerRun wrote:All the women I know just crawl everywhere. That's why they have scuffed elbows.
Talk about leaving a hanger out over the plate, I'll be a gentleman and take a called strike :hihi:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

[quote="Tricky-Loops"]And then, if women have to decide between raising children and a career in the music biz, of course most of them go for raising children because they don't want to be accused from their own children later in their life not having cared for them at all. A MOTHER HAS TO care for her children, a man can part and look for another wive, that's how our society unfortunately is.[/quote]

Why not reject the whole frame of reference that says breeding is necessary in the first place? Reframe the debate from "who raises the children" to "why have children just because traditional society expects you to?"

deastman wrote:
Tricky-Loops wrote:
deastman wrote:My daughter is really into modular synthesizers, software development, 3D modeling, and math. She is self taught on a bunch of instruments, taught herself to read sheet music and to play Fur Elise rather well. She is currently teaching herself Java programming.
When can we expect her new modular software Java synth? 8)
Nah, that's a dead end. Java is just a stepping stone to C++. Then I can put her to work designing the synths I want! :evil:
Java is hardly a dead end in the business software realm (where the money is). Learn Spring, and some database modeling chops. Business software is where the money is, even in Europe.

Or learn Hadoop and combine that with Java if she wants to look at some serious money right now. While things like Pig and Hive are big, there seems to be a huge call for Java too.

Jace-BeOS wrote:
deastman wrote:
chalaby wrote:
deastman wrote: It's like earlier in this thread when someone listed Wendy Carlos, and someone else predictably followed that up with "not strictly female"... as if she hasn't had to deal with even more discrimination and public ridicule than most biological women!
:clap:

Yeah, I predicted that comment the moment I saw her mentioned... and there it was a couple posts later. I was about to respond to it, because I find it to be unacceptable...
This is bullshit.
Apparently we can't even mention Wendy Carlos now in connection with her being female (and she is) or a synth pioneer, in case a couple of people start to troll...

If you weren't able to make any genuine comments in case someone later trolled your post, then this would be a very quiet forum indeed.

Give yourself another clap, Jace.
Doug1978 wrote:In truth, this thread is a bit of a non-runner.
For a start, the original post is way too vague, and also it's mostly blokes (like me) commenting about women.

(And in truth, my Wendy Carlos suggestion for pioneering electronic female musician was genuine but my SuBo suggestion clearly wasn't - although tbf, Boyle has done brilliantly for herself as a wonderful singer).

I could add a serious note about women in the industry having to fight against not only chauvinism but also some other women as well, but what's the point??

So instead I'll just add some of my favourite top female performers here who haven't yet been mentioned:
Kate Bush, Suzanne Vega, Bjork and Beth Gibbons.

james0tucson wrote:
Tricky-Loops wrote:And then, if women have to decide between raising children and a career in the music biz, of course most of them go for raising children because they don't want to be accused from their own children later in their life not having cared for them at all. A MOTHER HAS TO care for her children, a man can part and look for another wive, that's how our society unfortunately is.
Why not reject the whole frame of reference that says breeding is necessary in the first place? Reframe the debate from "who raises the children" to "why have children just because traditional society expects you to?"
tricky raises a valid point here that explains why theres no such thing as a single male parent or kids in care...

Women in the music industry usually wear tinfoil hats and have 8 fingers.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

vurt wrote:
james0tucson wrote:
Tricky-Loops wrote:And then, if women have to decide between raising children and a career in the music biz, of course most of them go for raising children because they don't want to be accused from their own children later in their life not having cared for them at all. A MOTHER HAS TO care for her children, a man can part and look for another wive, that's how our society unfortunately is.
tricky raises a valid point here that explains why theres no such thing as a single male parent or kids in care...
dont we have a mutual guitar playin friend from the town you live in that's a single father taking care of a boy and a girl?

vurt wrote: tricky raises a valid point here that explains why theres no such thing as a single male parent or kids in care...
There is some really dumb misogynistic bullcrap in this thread.
I know several solo fathers.
Grow up folks.

vurt wrote:
james0tucson wrote:
I said "most of them", not all. There are more female single parents than male single parents...

So if all women were desperately trying to make it big in the music industry, why aren't they all here, complaining about their fate and blaming our patriarchal society?

Maybe they have other things to do? Are we making up a problem that isn't there?

chalaby wrote:Are you a woman in the music industry?
Yes! :hyper:

Hink wrote:
vurt wrote:
james0tucson wrote:
dont we have a mutual guitar playin friend from the town you live in that's a single father taking care of a boy and a girl?
i was being sarcastic, aside from dean I know a fair few single fathers. my mum is also a foster carer so ive known a hell of a lot of kids over the past 20 odd years who both parents have abandoned sadly.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”