Slate says Monday for VMR

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

To the best of my knowledge there is no way to do that unless I put a comp in and adjust the makeup. Which BTW I did and it's teh awesomes! :hihi:

I'm hoping for an LA-2A, LA-3A, and CL1B for future VMR modules. That would hold me for a while.

So in S1 I have a couple of rock type projects with multiout drums and my guitar and bass playing. I exported those sessions. Then I ditched out what I was using, and put in slate with presets. A, I'm glad I didn't run into any significant issues. But B, there wasn't much comparison with the two exports. The slate was a noticeable improvement. The only thing that wasn't super terrific was that I'm using a limiter at the very end/master and the really pushed parts are too loud and levels need to be redone.

Some of these presets are pretty good. I just randomly picked presets for kick, snare, hats, overheads and room. I didn't to any drum bus stuff. Was really surprised by how the kit pieces stood out more and put my "original" hard work to complete shame :lol:

hibidy wrote:To the best of my knowledge there is no way to do that unless I put a comp in and adjust the makeup. Which BTW I did and it's teh awesomes! :hihi:
Yeah, FG401 with Circuit 1, Transformer off, and Ratio 1:1 with Threshold at max will add a ton of harmonics, but will otherwise have a flat frequency response and no volume bump. Then you can adjust the makeup gain up or down as needed.

If you want a clean trim without the harmonics, then you'd need to use a trim plugin afterwards which eliminates the ability to quickly A/B the before and after.

Then again, you could always use a chainer plugin like Patchwork for that type of stuff.

Anyway, I'm glad it still sounded good even with the levels matched.

Compyfox wrote:
budweiser wrote:For any reason, when i drag-n-drop a new module from the dock in an already populated rack, it tends to slip here and there at first time. Not that easy to put it after the other modules. Am i missing something ?
Nope - blame it on the iLok.
It's a known issue.
God... really ? Not a big issue, but tends to slow things down when this damn module slip like a tablet of soap.

budweiser wrote:God... really ? Not a big issue, but tends to slow things down when this damn module slip like a tablet of soap.
Yes, loading is also slow on certain rigs (add to that, that I'm still on an i7 920/Bloomfield) - which definitely has to do with the iLok2 routines. VCC even has a warning notice because of that behavior in it's manual.

But as long as these plugins are stable, I don't really care if I need 2-5 seconds longer to load, or 1-2 seconds extra to drag a module.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

I'm sold :lol:

I just got through laying down some guitar parts and drum/bass tracks in S1 and man is it a time saver :cool:

Works fine there btw so so far it's been stable at my SR/buffer w/o any real issues.

Personally, I'd love to see a Neve 1081 and Trident A Range EQ first. Which would complement VCC fairly well, and we would have access to another native Trident EQ . After that, maybe Harrison, Neumann, Avalon? Stuff that not everyone uses. The only "Harrison Plugin" (not counting the discontinues SE creation) is currently the UAD. Let's not talk about the Ardur/Harrison collaboration.

Isn't the new model for VCC exactly Trident A Range console?
Its fairly hi fi and sweet sounding console!

Compyfox wrote:
budweiser wrote:God... really ? Not a big issue, but tends to slow things down when this damn module slip like a tablet of soap.
Yes, loading is also slow on certain rigs (add to that, that I'm still on an i7 920/Bloomfield) - which definitely has to do with the iLok2 routines. VCC even has a warning notice because of that behavior in it's manual.

But as long as these plugins are stable, I don't really care if I need 2-5 seconds longer to load, or 1-2 seconds extra to drag a module.
interesting, do you have the same issue with other ilok plugins ?
my impression up to now is, the "slates" load a good amount of content into ram
when called the first time, so with Fabrice`s AirEQ.

I can`t remeber to see this on other ilok plugins, would be interesting to have a closer look
into how far ilok does have an impact to entire OS.

Then I can understand others saying they have issues regarding ilok per se.
Intel i7-4790K | Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H | 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport | RME Babyface Pro | UAD PCIe Octo, Quad | Asus GT 730 | Toshiba DT01ACA200 2TB | LG GH24NSB0 | W10 Pro 64bit | S1 latest

lacandon wrote:Isn't the new model for VCC exactly Trident A Range console?
What new console?
There is no VCC v2 yet, neither any information known?

Also, VCC v1 already has a Trident console. It's the "symbol".

Omkar wrote:interesting, do you have the same issue with other ilok plugins ?
As each instance takes a bit to load, I don't think this is a RAM issue. But it is a known thing in Slate plugins that the loading times can be slow (if loaded individually), due to iLok routines.

I do have other iLok plugins (Eventide, UVI, SoundToys, Line6, just to name a few), but not everything uses the ilok2 routines. Those plugins load fairly quick for me. What causes it, I don't know. But again - it's a known issue. But not necessarily a "problem" - just slightly slowed down workflow.

Kontakt (with preset samples) and StylusRMX load just a slow for me - but here it's definitely more of a RAM issue I think.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Compyfox wrote:
lacandon wrote:Isn't the new model for VCC exactly Trident A Range console?
What new console?
There is no VCC v2 yet, neither any information known?

Also, VCC v1 already has a Trident console. It's the "symbol".

Omkar wrote:interesting, do you have the same issue with other ilok plugins ?
As each instance takes a bit to load, I don't think this is a RAM issue. But it is a known thing in Slate plugins that the loading times can be slow (if loaded individually), due to iLok routines.

I do have other iLok plugins (Eventide, UVI, SoundToys, Line6, just to name a few), but not everything uses the ilok2 routines. Those plugins load fairly quick for me. What causes it, I don't know. But again - it's a known issue. But not necessarily a "problem" - just slightly slowed down workflow.

Kontakt (with preset samples) and StylusRMX load just a slow for me - but here it's definitely more of a RAM issue I think.
VCC 2.0 have one more added console and from my memories Stiven was with the Founder of Trident not long ago so i believe its the `Trident A Range Console!

The Trident A Range already is part of VCC v1 - again, it's "the symbol".

VCC v2 is not even in beta yet - and what I heard (from talking with Steven actually), was that there might be more is planned - not just one console.

Unless Steven was with Malcolm Toft to work on a port of the A-Range EQ (which I'd look forward to), or maybe the new Toft console preamps. Maybe they were also just drinking coffee or something. We'll never know until there is are official announcements.

Compyfox wrote:but not everything uses the ilok2 routines.
looks like of being the key here.

I also noticed some or all Slate plugins are phoning home,
thats a good amount of actions before it starts to be ready ...
loading into ram, phoning home, using ilok engine.

Tried hard to become a friend with the concept of racks and it doesn`t click with me.

For now I`ll stick with the nice freebie
and if I understand it right, VCC 2 will become a part of the rack later on.
I need some more practice.

I have the feeling Fabrice and/or Steven do have something for the Christmas tree,
maybe my rack practice becomes more grown-up until then.
Intel i7-4790K | Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H | 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport | RME Babyface Pro | UAD PCIe Octo, Quad | Asus GT 730 | Toshiba DT01ACA200 2TB | LG GH24NSB0 | W10 Pro 64bit | S1 latest

Compyfox wrote:The Trident A Range already is part of VCC v1 - again, it's "the symbol".

VCC v2 is not even in beta yet - and what I heard (from talking with Steven actually), was that there might be more is planned - not just one console.

Unless Steven was with Malcolm Toft to work on a port of the A-Range EQ (which I'd look forward to), or maybe the new Toft console preamps. Maybe they were also just drinking coffee or something. We'll never know until there is are official announcements.
Its the Trident 80b witch its much cheaper then A Range,in real world its nothing so special!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtTu-Cj ... 85E04870F6

Would be good they to add some features on VCC otherwise its feels very limited for 199 dollars see SDRR and Stripbus 3 are killer!

F u c k us rite Forte its another really nice console ,hopefully someone will model it again with more characteristics !

Omkar wrote:I also noticed some or all Slate plugins are phoning home,
Are you sure about that?
Because then plain offline users would get error messages up and down if this software suite is "really" phoning home. As in form of checking available internet connection, sending packages.

I have NEVER seen that.

Omkar wrote:and if I understand it right, VCC 2 will become a part of the rack later on.
As add-on. I think VCC will still exist as standalone.

Omkar wrote:I have the feeling Fabrice and/or Steven do have something for the Christmas tree,
maybe my rack practice becomes more grown-up until then.
Maybe, maybe not. Before anything new will arrive, their main plan is still VCC v2 and FG-X v2. After that, maybe more modules and VMS.

lacandon wrote:Its the Trident 80b witch its much cheaper then A Range,in real world its nothing so special!
Sorry, but are we still talking about the same thing?

I do remember from the old days that the Trident in VCC is based upon one of the only 13 available consoles that were called "Trident". And to my knowledge, that was the one with the "A-Range" EQ. Though I just read that Sound on Sound mentioned it to be the Trident 80B, which is actually 2 years older than the A-Range. But IMO it's in no way inferior, or more "consumer" (due it to be cheaper - hello, only 13 custom builds of the Range A!). And we're talking about preamps still, not EQ's.

Adding the Range-A wouldn't make sense IMO, unless we also get the appropriate EQ's on top of that. Which I think is more the aim of Steven. We'll see it, once it happens. And we're still short on the Neotek that was once announced as well.

lacandon wrote:Would be good they to add some features on VCC otherwise its feels very limited for 199 dollars see SDRR and Stripbus 3 are killer!
What features are you missing?
And StripBus 3 isn't even out yet! (please don't let me get started on SKnote... just... don't)

lacandon wrote:F u c k us rite Forte its another really nice console ,hopefully someone will model it again with more characteristics !
The only person I'd trust at this point, is Dave Gamble. He ported EVERYTHING Focusrite related. Sadly that the ISA Channel Strip that was once on ProTools (was it RTAS or TDM?) is discontinued. But you can still get the ISA/RED through the Midnight Suite. Sadly, without suitable preamp.

So all I'd like to see, would be a Focusrite ISA preamp - I do have the right tools to mix/match already.

YMMV of course.

Return to “Effects”