Something is cooking: RAGNAROK - RELEASED !!!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Ragnarök

It's very nice now with the ability to skin the GUI !

Thanks, thanks, thanks !
:tu:

It's the only thing which prevented me to use it!

May I ask for just two very small improvements in the INI file ?
  • First, the ability to write relative directories (example "resources\") instead of absolute directories ("C:\....\"). So that if one moves the dll with its subdirectory to rearrange his organization in the hard disk, nothing is to rewrite in the INI file.
    Example, to be able to write simply
    "Bitmap_Back = resource\back.png"
    instead of
    "Bitmap_Back = c:\xxxxxxx\xxxxxxx\xxxxxx\Ragnarok\resource\back.png"
  • And second, simply the ability to have access to the RVB value of the letters used in the LCD display of the current patch.
Possible?
Last edited by BlackWinny on Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

fluffy_little_something wrote:I don't care if you change anything about it as indeed I have much better stuff already.

So just use your "better stuff" then. :bang:

Maomoondog wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:I don't care if you change anything about it as indeed I have much better stuff already.

I AM using it, but that doesn't keep me from playing around with other new stuff as well :)

DrewDale wrote:Nice new GUI tweaks :tu:
Sadly I don't understand how to create an INI file even though I have read the instructions over and over in the manual, looks like I am back to the default colours again, or stick with the previous version :(
It is very easy. You see the original INI file?
Open it and at the first line write this:
          Bitmap_Back = c:\xxxxxxxxxx\yyyyyyyyyy\zzzzzzzzzz\back.png
instead of this:
          Bitmap_Back = default

That's all for the background.

And do the same for all the other lines of the group "Editor".

Now you can change the content of these PNG files with your graphical editor.

That's all.
:D
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.

Maomoondog wrote:@ fluffy_little_something - If you want / wish / need to emulate an instrument, use the Korg M1 legacy or a wav / sfz player. How many vst synths can really make a sax / piano / guitar sound real other than a rompler? We (Alphaville) used a fairlight on our third album, not to be a synth emu, but to use real world instruments / real world sounds in a synthetic way and to manipulate them to fit the song arrangement. If we wanted a synth bass or a synth pad, we would power up the Jupiter 8 / D-50 or Matrix 12 / Matrix 1000. Every synth has a unique sound (thankfully) all have plus and minus points (The DX7 never did or never will sound analogue) Ragnarock won't ever sound like a Prophet-5 or an ARP2600, but it's a whole lot of fun creating patches for it. And without a saw wave I still managed to get a close emulation of synths that have sawtooth :wink:
Yes, I didn't say it was not fun, I like the equalizer most of all, and the simplicity. All I said is that it has a limited scope and because of that it is not so good at emulating certain sounds.

I think with software it is actually much easier to achieve a Swiss army knife of a synth that can do it all (Dune 2, Synthmaster, etc. are pretty complete already). Not that I am expecting anyone to do it, but it is easier than to unite a Jupiter 8 and a DX7 and a Fairlight in a single device :)

Personally I think the good old subtractive analog principle is pretty flexible, allowing for many more sounds and closer emulations than some people realize. In the 70s bands would sometimes have only a single synth, or two of the same kind, and they used it/them for all kinds of sounds :)

Found a little bug, Björn.

Nothing very bad.

If you open the dialog box to load a bank, browse into your directories, but close the dialog box without loading a bank (button "cancel") you get an error message.

The same with the command "Open a program".

Is there a hidden preset browser of the currently loaded bank? I have not found it.

If for example I want to use the preset named "xyz" in the currently loaded bank...

The overdrive unit is not really fond of chords :D
What would make sense is a toggle switch to bypass the eq. That would make it easy to check how much the current eq settings are changing the raw sound.
Last edited by fluffy_little_something on Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

@crimsonwarlock: I use tu put the hardware name at the end of any .RAR file where the plugin is compressed (so when I searching a peculiar sound I sure to goal) so, what is the real name of the hardware? I read the manual but I go ahead...

It's called:

Hans Peter RAGNARÖK?
Hans Peter Chorosynth?
Teisco 110F?
Elektor Formant Modular RAGNARÖK?
Elektor Formant Modular Chorosynth?

You could be so kind to tell me\us? THANKS FOR ALL!

80's bell pad, i.e. chords on higher octaves...
https://app.box.com/s/m6sl6n8op88on6j64u9o

Maomoondog wrote:

Congratulations. RAGNARÖK has been awarded the prestigious FLS Gold Seal of Disapproval!

:wink:
바보

BlackWinny wrote:Is there a hidden preset browser of the currently loaded bank? I have not found it.

If for example I want to use the preset named "xyz" in the currently loaded bank...
Not sure what you mean, but the prev and next buttons let you step through the presets. You can also copy/paste between bank-locations to rearrange a preset bank. Finally you can export single presets to FXP and compile a new bank from those by loading them into specific bank-slots.

The preset manager is very capable, and we designed it specifically so that it would be easy to compile and rearrange preset banks without the need for some external tool or program.
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Ragnarök VST-synthesizer co-creator with Full Bucket

fluffy_little_something wrote:All I said is that it has a limited scope and because of that it is not so good at emulating certain sounds.
That's like saying a guitar has a very little scope because it doesn't do trumpets :dog:
fluffy_little_something wrote:The overdrive unit is not really fond of chords :D
It is very fond of chords, when you know how to use overdrive in a sound. Ask any rock guitar player :hihi:

Seriously, all your comments seem to suggest you're not that good in handling a certain instrument and it's intricacies. You seem to approach every instrument (as you demonstrated in your comments) with the exact same premise: can it emulate X or Y. You have no idea how much that limits your potential of doing stunning things with it (and Ragnarök is without a doubt capable of stunning sounds).

But I don't care what you do or don't do with it. I'm much more interested what people ARE doing with it :D
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Turello wrote:@crimsonwarlock: I use tu put the hardware name at the end of any .RAR file where the plugin is compressed (so when I searching a peculiar sound I sure to goal) so, what is the real name of the hardware? I read the manual but I go ahead...

It's called:

Hans Peter RAGNARÖK?
Hans Peter Chorosynth?
Teisco 110F?
Elektor Formant Modular RAGNARÖK?
Elektor Formant Modular Chorosynth?

You could be so kind to tell me\us? THANKS FOR ALL!
Not sure why this is not clear, but the name is on the GUI, and quite obviously as well ;)

The Teisco has nothing to do with Ragnarök, other then that it replaced the hardware version of Ragnarök at some point in time in the past. The Elector Formant and the Chorosynth where DIY-kits to build your own hardware, and where used to create the hardware version of Ragnarök, but again have little to do with the software. Although,Björn did use the actual schematics of the Chorosynth electronics to develop the plugin. So that architecture is pretty closely emulated in the plugin afaik.

Maomoondog wrote:@ crimsonwarlock - Many thanks indeed, when I get a little bit more free time, I plan to create some more sounds and make another bank for it. I am mighty impressed and very much grateful for the time and effort both yourself and fullbucket have put into making this synth :)
Looking forward to more patches from you ;)

Now that I know your ancestry I'm a bit wowed by your compliments. I was and still am a big fan of Alphaville, so you liking Ragnarök means a lot for me 8)

As for fluffy....something, I guess he just won't get it :D

Return to “Instruments”