Can any soft synth be controlled with a midi controller keyboard?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I use Logic Pro X and wonder if any soft synth can be controlled with something like a novation controller keyboard. If a soft synth does not have any midi learn type parameter, can it still be done. I'd like to use a controller to automate filter cutoff, resonance, envelopes and a few other parameters with the Roland SH-2 plugin?

I can't imagine a soft synth being released this day and age that doesn't respond to MIDI CCs, SH-2 included. Check the synth's manual before you buy but you should be covered.

Which reminds me, if I were to pick up something like the Minibrute, I wonder if its pots transmit CCs so it can be used to control soft synths. I have a tough time remembering which knob is which on my keyboard since nothing's labeled.

Edit: holy crap, the Minibrute not only supports MIDI out but has aftertouch? Think that may seal it.

Thanks.

I guess most synths now put out CC's. I mean the SH-2 needs to link with the Aira controller somehow?

Sometimes softsynths have parameters that cannot be automated, but this means that even the DAW can't get access to those controls. Generally speaking though, any feature that can be automated can also be controlled by a MIDI controller, but I think that would depend on your DAW.

Return to “Instruments”