Fools Rush In - ElectroProg (Seismic Gridlock)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This is a doom-laden, sombre piece of trepidation featuring gridlocked sequencing and an abundance of bass frequencies. Consequently the mix session wasn't exactly a walk in the park. I made a surprising discovery towards the end of the mixing process, which will hopefully result in some further darkness in the not-too-distant future. A few recent acquisitions making a whatsisname debut on here. Turn out the lights.

This took 6 weeks to put together, but I worked on it in short sessions. It seems to be difficult to find the time these days with the daily whatnot.

EDIT:20220706 removed mp3 link

mired in the murk:-

https://soundcloud.com/whatsisname/fools-rush-in

Kit and caboodle:-

recorded/mixed and pre-mastered in EnergyXT2.7

Tassman4
Z3ta+2
EnergyXT Synthesizer
SampleTank2
Convoluter
Blue Cat Gain3
Eos
Microtonic
DominatorCM
Oatmeal
Cerebrum-c4
Rapture
Fracture
B2
Stereoizer3
EnergyXT Delay
CSR
Satin
T-Racks Linear Phase EQ
T-Racks Opto Compressor
T-Racks Vintage Equalizer
T-Racks Brickwall Limiter

DR -11

EDIT:20220706 - Remixed in February 2022. Added a new SampleMoog bass-synth track. Replaced the "trance-plucks" in the original track with softer Rapture sounds. - I also made some EQ and levelling adjustments. The track was then mastered in T-Racks5 for a future album release.

https://soundcloud.com/whatsisname/fool ... ks5-master

Recorded and mixed in EnergyXT 2.7
Mastered in T-Racks 5

Tassman4
Z3ta+2
EnergyXT Synthesizer
SampleTank2
Microtonic
DominatorCM
Oatmeal
Cerebrum-c4
Rapture
SampleMoog
Convoluter
Blue Cat Gain3
Eos
Fracture
B2
Stereoizer3
EnergyXT Delay
CSR
Satin
T-Racks Linear Phase EQ
T-Racks Vintage Equalizer
T-Racks Brickwall Limiter

DR -11
Last edited by seismic1 on Fri Jul 22, 2022 3:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

This song belongs to a blockbuster suspense movie.

Well done!

Fabulous start Tim! Dark and dramatic...
Nice use of piano and the subtle beat... I really like the chord sequence here.
Awesome bass in the middle section (Listening on headphones a great idea).
Piano and pads is great. There is a touch of Radiohead with the incessant beat, cool... :)
Perfect accompliment to fools rushing in Tim. Well done! :)
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

As always :clap:

I'm listening to this at noon in broad daylight so maybe as
you write I should give it a try later tonight with the
lights turned off.

The melodic piano that comes in at 3.00 is absolutely
beautiful.

Cheers :tu:
Sound C loud
Band C amp
Clicks and pops is all I get

good stuff, Tim! dark, sinister and rhythmic.. kinda reminded me of a more mellow version of DM's Pimpf.
some of your best mixing on here i'd have to say as well. good job :tu: viva EXT2!
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Nice atmosphere, nice synths, I like it, Tim. :phones:
Deserve all the positive comments :clap:

Beautiful mix, warm and bassy but clear with no mud.
Ah Tassman, and B2 I see, wonderful sounding plug-ins.
My latest crazy track "The Quick Brown Fox sampled the Lazy Dog": http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 4&t=425647
15 Free DIVA Presets: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 8#p5892108

Mmmm. Full of ominosity :o
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was) - apparently now an 'elderly' so maybe I forgot!

XorXisT wrote:This song belongs to a blockbuster suspense movie.

Well done!
Not until I get paid :wink:

Thanks very much for checking this out and commenting, XorXisT. Glad you liked it :)

0:00 The opening chords are majestic and mysterious. Something special is in store for us.

0:52 Deep, doomy bass notes resonate off the walls. We have entered a vast, ancient catacombs. A steady rhythm builds increasing the tension.

3:00 The rhythm drops out. Bass and piano dance about signaling danger. What mystery awaits us? Has something terrible been lying dormant in this tomb, undisturbed for centuries?

3:33 We have gone even deeper into this godforsaken structure. The bass is now a distant moan. The tension is unbearable. What ancient terror lies ahead?

4:04 Oh no, it's Generic Bouncy Techno Synth. :party: :dog:

Talk about an anticlimax. This odd sound choice has completely killed the mood for me. I'm done.

The mix is perfect. The composition is excellent and most of the sounds are very good. I just wish you would choose your sounds more carefully. Strings, mellotron, brass, etc. would have been consistent with the mood you were building but, for me, Generic Bouncy Techno Synth doesn't work at all in this context. At least that's my completely subjective take on it.

Frantz wrote: 4:04 Oh no, it's Generic Bouncy piglet Synth. :party: :dog:
:lol: :hihi:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Allomerus wrote:Fabulous start Tim! Dark and dramatic...
Nice use of piano and the subtle beat... I really like the chord sequence here.
Awesome bass in the middle section (Listening on headphones a great idea).
Piano and pads is great. There is a touch of Radiohead with the incessant beat, cool... :)
Perfect accompliment to fools rushing in Tim. Well done! :)
I got some good patches, tweaked some of them a little, and managed to mess them up via various combinations of FX processing on here. I have some convolution processing and EOS on the piano, B2 on the pads, and Fracture on the percussion.

There is a part 2 in the works, quieter and darker than this.

Thanks very much for the great comments, John. Glad you liked it :)

I like the main theme. the tune itself is for my personal taste a bit too Long - but nevertheless I think you've created a good arc of suspence there...

greetings

wolf

sbj wrote:As always :clap:

I'm listening to this at noon in broad daylight so maybe as
you write I should give it a try later tonight with the
lights turned off.

The melodic piano that comes in at 3.00 is absolutely
beautiful.

Cheers :tu:
Thanks very much for the great comments, sbj. Glad you liked it :)

I think it sounds better in the dark accompanied by the eerie blue, red, yellow and green illuminations from the various electronic devices in my house.

That's the SampleTank 2 Free piano. It lends itself well to this style. I turned off the inbuilt reverb and pushed it through convoluter and EOS.

layzer wrote:good stuff, Tim! dark, sinister and rhythmic.. kinda reminded me of a more mellow version of DM's Pimpf.
some of your best mixing on here i'd have to say as well. good job :tu: viva EXT2!
Thanks very much for the listen and the great comments, layzer. Glad you liked it. This was quite a tricky mix, so I'm glad it worked for you :)

I remember the first time I heard MFTM ('87). I thought Pimpf was the standout track on that album. I haven't changed my mind.

Return to “Music Cafe”